Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

FITNESS FRIDAY 9/27/19 - (RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN "SLEEP & FITNESS)

User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean September 27th, 2019

HEY EVERYONE!

WELCOME TO FITNESS FRIDAY!... Today we are going to focus on the relationship between "SLEEP & FITNESS" ~

**Whatever your "Goals" are for yourself, "SLEEP" and getting enough of it, plays a huge role in meeting those goals!...If you dont sleep, you undermine your body~ ....

**Sleep for some, can be challenging due to various reasons or factors. (For instance, I'm a huge "NIGHT-OWL"!), and find it easier to stay up late then get up early. Which is why I worked as a Nightshift Nurse for over a decade~

**When it comes to working out, you know that what you do in the gym is important. But what you do outside the gym — what you eat, what you drink, and especially how you sleep, is just as crucial. In fact, you must sleep in order for exercise to actually work. ALL exercise that you perform requires Sleep!

**More than 30 percent of us are sleep-deprived, which means we're not getting the recommended seven to eight hours a night required for adults, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. And that means approximately 108 million people in the U.S. are sabotaging their own Fitness goals, too.

SLEEP:

Sleep gives your body time to recover, conserve energy, and repair and build up the muscles worked during exercise...During childhood and adolescence, growth hormone makes us grow ....And when we are older, it helps us build lean muscle and helps our body repair when we have torn ourselves up during a hard workout....Growth hormone is essential for athletic recovery.

REGULAR EXERCISE & SLEEP:

Exercise actually has a chemical effect on the brain. Physical activity creates more adenosine in the brain, and adenosine makes us feel sleepy,,,The harder we work out, the more driven we are by this chemical to sleep!

Does Getting Better Sleep Help My Workout?:

The short answer is yes. The better rested you are, the better your mind and body function — and that includes at the gym. Adequate sleep has been proved to help Motivate people to stick to their exercise and work out the next day, according to research published in the Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine. The more sleep time individuals in this study got, the more likely they were to complete their exercise regimen.

Getting enough sleep can not only give you more drive and strength to maximize your workout, but its effects on concentration, mood, and focus can make you more efficient and better prepared for that workout~

Extra sleep wont necessarily make you faster, stronger, or improve your times or performance. Rather, sleep loss has been linked to physiological responses — like autonomic nervous system imbalances, which are similar to overtraining symptoms like sore muscles and a higher risk of injuries — that can inhibit your performance!

Is It Better to Fit in That Early Morning Workout or Log an Extra Hour of Sleep?

Getting enough sleep and getting regular exercise are both important, so how do you decide which one takes priority? You really shouldnt put yourself in that position, because you absolutely need BOTH!...

But if its not possible to find that perfect balance all the time, sleep is always the priority, unless your sleep is almost always sound in quality and quantity~

BOTTOM LINE:

The bottom line is, if youre not getting the recommended seven to eight hours of sleep per night, you need to rethink your schedule so you can make sure you do — and then you have to figure out how to fit in your regular workouts without sacrificing that sleep. You cant have one without the other; both are absolutely essential to you being able to operate at 100 percent — not just in the gym, but in your everyday life, too.

HOW MANY HOURS DO YOU AVERAGE IN SLEEP EACH NIGHT? ...DO YOU KEEP TRACK?

DO YOU FEEL YOU ARE GETTING ADEQUATE, QUALITY REST?.... WHAT THINGS HELP OR HINDER YOU?

DO YOU FEEL LACK OF SLEEP IS HINDERING YOU FROM "YOUR" GOALS?!

20
User Profile: Lolowise475
Lolowise475 September 27th, 2019

I get 5-7 hours. I have sleep apnea from a medical issue so sleep is a challenge. However, I walk a lot and probably would sleep even less if I didn't.@PoliteOcean

1 reply
User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean OP September 28th, 2019

@Lolowise475


Hi there!

So sorry to hear that you are dealing with Sleep Apnea, as a Healthcare Worker, I know how challenging that can be for those that deal with that. Its so great that you are staying active and that you walk alot! Thats awesome. Being outdoors and getting in activity can certainly help us with getting better sleep. Great job at figuring out some things that help you.... I hope that your condition starts to improve more for you! ... And thank you for sharing with us!

load more
User Profile: DisneyFee31
DisneyFee31 September 27th, 2019

@PoliteOcean

Sleep is definitely important! I tend to get between 6-7 hours a night, although I try and aim for at least 7 hours. I have a Fitbit to help me track my sleep and I've noticed since I've been more stressed, my sleep is worse during the night. I haven't got a problem getting to sleep it seems to be the quality of my sleep. I'm trying to work on this :).

3 replies
User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean OP September 28th, 2019

@DisneyFee31

Hey there!

Yes I totally get what you are saying... We sound VERY similar! I try to aim for NO less than 6, but Hope for at the very minimum 7 or more myself. I too use a Fitbit as well to track all of this. Its certainly a very useful and helpful tool!

Stressors (regardless of what they are) can surely affect our sleep.... So I can totally relate to that as well. I'm the same also as far as getting a good "quality" sleep that I feel I should be getting sometimes.

Its great that you see your patterns and that you are continuing to work on the things that are holding you back from getting the proper rest that you need! We have a "Sleep" section here , it would be great to see you post there once you start figuring out ways to meet your Sleep goals, and perhaps share some useful tips or strategies that have helped you :)

Thanks so much for sharing!

2 replies
User Profile: DisneyFee31
DisneyFee31 September 28th, 2019

@PoliteOcean

User Profile: DisneyFee31
DisneyFee31 September 28th, 2019

@PoliteOcean (Ooops - last one went too soon!)

Thank you - it's definitely something I'm trying to work on - and it's good to know I'm not alone :).

load more
load more
User Profile: PeppermintStar0912
PeppermintStar0912 September 28th, 2019

@PoliteOcean

HOW MANY HOURS DO YOU AVERAGE IN SLEEP EACH NIGHT? ...DO YOU KEEP TRACK? I do keep track of my sleep and I usually get in between 6-7 hours a night!

DO YOU FEEL YOU ARE GETTING ADEQUATE, QUALITY REST?.... WHAT THINGS HELP OR HINDER YOU? If I can be completely honest with you... My sleep isn't that great! I think it has a lot to do with my recovery (I stopped drinking and taking xanax) and I believe that's been messing with it! But I am trying lots of new things I've been researching! I started taking extra seratonin at night and I also use an essential oil called, Serenity. It's specifically designed for people with sleep disorders and it does help! I also started doing my meditations right before bed because it helps me fall asleep quicker.

DO YOU FEEL LACK OF SLEEP IS HINDERING YOU FROM "YOUR" GOALS?! I don't feel I lack too much sleep... I am still functioning really well in life and I'm still striving towards my goals. I've managed to lose 25 pounds so far!

3 replies
User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean OP September 28th, 2019

@baylinAnderson123

DO YOU FEEL LACK OF SLEEP IS HINDERING YOU FROM "YOUR" GOALS?! I don't feel I lack too much sleep... I am still functioning really well in life and I'm still striving towards my goals. I've managed to lose 25 pounds so far!

Hey there!

Great job to you on tracking your sleep..I think its really brave of you to have stopped some of the things that you once did, while trying out and working on "Better, Healthier, More Positive" things to help you with reaching your sleep goals! Thats really awesome and its great that what you are trying is beneficial to you and that you are finding help in them!

I love hearing that you are also finding help through meditation and that you arae doing and functioning well. As well as continuing to "STRIVE" towards the goals you have set for yourself!

And 25lbs!!???!! THATS AMAZING! CONGRATS ON YOUR SUCCESS!!yes Thank you so much for sharing!

2 replies
User Profile: PeppermintStar0912
PeppermintStar0912 September 28th, 2019

@PoliteOcean Thank you so much!!!!!! You have made me smile!

1 reply
User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean OP September 29th, 2019

@baylinAnderson123

Awww....you're so welcome! Thank you!

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: lavenderpeach1107
lavenderpeach1107 September 28th, 2019

@PoliteOcean

HOW MANY HOURS DO YOU AVERAGE IN SLEEP EACH NIGHT? ...DO YOU KEEP TRACK? I believe I get around 7 hours of sleep a night so I think I am right where I should be!

DO YOU FEEL YOU ARE GETTING ADEQUATE, QUALITY REST?.... WHAT THINGS HELP OR HINDER YOU? My sleep isn't that great most of the time. It's not terrible but I think it could be better! I've been trying a new bed time routine with essential oils, mainly lavender, and I have also started listening to sleep stories on my meditation app!

DO YOU FEEL LACK OF SLEEP IS HINDERING YOU FROM "YOUR" GOALS?! I don't think it's been hindering me because I've been able to accomplish all my goals! My main goals were to lose weight and meditate everyday and so far I've been going strong!

3 replies
User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean OP September 28th, 2019

@intelligentstar688

Hey there.. Sounds like you are doing an awesome job at working towards getting the sleep that you know your body needs! Its really great that you are working on Bedtime routines and finding what works for you to get the best sleep that you can. Adding Meditation is a huge "Plus" and a great "Positive"!

Great job at continuing to "Set" as well as 'Work towards" your continued Healthy Living goals that you have set for yourself! And seeing them through! Do you have a set goal towards how much you'd like to lose? Do you have a timeframe for yourself, or do you like just going with the flow of things? Continue to keep up the great work that you are doing! Great job, and thanks for sharing!

2 replies
User Profile: lavenderpeach1107
lavenderpeach1107 September 28th, 2019

@PoliteOcean Hi! So my ulitmate weight loss goal is 40 pounds and since I've lost 25 that leaves 15 pounds to go! I would like to be at my goal weight (which is 130 pounds) by February of 2020! I think that is realistic enough right?

1 reply
User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean OP September 29th, 2019

@intelligentstar688

Wow! You are doing a fantastic job!..... And yes, 15lbs is Totally a realistic goal to work on to February! Please let us know what your plans are and what things you will be doing and working on to achieve this goal! Perhaps it could help others reach theirs as well! Keep up the awesome work!

load more
load more
load more