Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Fitness Friday 07/28/17 - 8 Basic Strength Training Moves To Master

July 28th, 2017

Fitness Friday 07/28/17 - 8 Basic Strength Training Moves To Master by Popsugar

Why should you strength train? Strength training can create and preserve muscle mass, help control weight, reduce the risk of osteoporosis and decrease injury risk...just to name a few of the benefits! (source)

Some of the most effective moves are the simplest or the ones that build on the basics. Here are eight beginner strength training moves you should master (along with proper form tips in the full article).

(*Safety First!)... Every exercise is NOT appropriate for every person, due to individual medical conditions, injuries or physical/mobility limitations. Before you begin any exercise program, always obtain exercise clearance from your doctor and proceed at your own risk. Modify (or eliminate) any movements as necessary to accommodate your current level of fitness - nothing should cause pain.)

1. Squats - Squats tone and strengthen your lower body: calves, quads, glutes and hamstrings.

2. Lunges - Along with working your lower body, lunges also challenge your balance and core.

3 Planks - The plank makes you sweat for a reason: it's a great all-over body workout that focuses on building a strong core.

4. Sit-Ups - The sit-up works the abs and hip flexors through a wide range of motion.

5. Push-Ups - Push-ups get your heart pumping while working your arms, back and chest.

6. Tricep Dips - Tricep dips tone shoulders and upper arms.

7. Bicep Curls - Bicep curls strengthen your upper arms, shoulders and forearms.

8. Overhead Press - The Overhead Press is great for your shoulders, upper back, arms and core.

Are any of these exercises already a part of your routine?
Did you learn a new move you can begin to incorporate?
Do you have a go-to strength training exercise that youd like to share?

Comment and let us know! :)

18
User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean July 28th, 2017

@AlfalfaSproutDeux

Awesome post! .... And I totally used to do this stuff on a regular basis. However, I got away from it again and started going back to cardio. But Strength Training has SOOOO many benefits. (Planks and Free weights used to be my go-to's/favorites to do)...

Once again as you stated above, NOT every exercise is for everyone , however, for those that can do so, and take the time to incorporate the above, even if a "MODIFIED" Version, it would be sooo beneficial!

Thanks for sharing this post, and I am going to get started on these this week... I have strength training off WAAAYY too long!

2 replies
July 28th, 2017

@PoliteOcean

Strength training is an essential component of a well rounded fitness routine and healthy lifestyle! It's common to skip it in favor of doing other activities we love instead. If you can add in all (or even a few) of these exercises a couple of times a week while watching TV - that is a great way to "sneak" it back in gradually! :) You can do it and it will make you even more fierce in Zumba! :)

1 reply
User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean July 28th, 2017

@AlfalfaSproutDeux

More "Fierce" in ZUMBA!!!!!????!!!...... Weeeeeeeeee~~~ Yippeee...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.... **Wants to be Fierce**!!!! laughyes

load more
load more
User Profile: PhoenixAsh
PhoenixAsh July 28th, 2017

This is an awesome post! I thought I might add in some modified versions for beginners or anyone who is unable to do the above activities! I coach and do gymnastics so strength is a pretty big part of my routine cheeky

Note! Some of these exercises, while modified may still not work with your body. As mentioned in the above post, stop any activity that causes pain. Although it can be difficult to differenciate musular ("good") pain and injury ("bad") pain, with time you will get to know your body and your limits.

1. Squats - These can remain mostly the same but you can hold onto something (like a bench), and only go as far as you feel comfortable. Just ensure you keep your back straight and body facing forwards (no slouching!)

2. Lunges - Instead of these, on one or two legs (spread apart if it's two!) you can do small bends of the knee, getting larger as you feel more confident - these can also be done while holding onto something! Side note: one leg will be harder than two wink

3 Planks - I just need to emphasise - look at the picture before you do this and try to copy the shape. Take a photo or do it next to a mirror if that helps! Back injuries are not fun D: We can change this one a bit and also practice the shape by doing "angry cat". Yes, I know it sounds like it's for kids and it looks pretty easy, but from there you can work on how much weight goes into your hands and eventually work into a plank.

4. Sit-Ups - We can keep this one quite similar, but reach your hands towards your legs and with each sit-up, try to get them a little bit closer

5. Push-Ups - Basically, just don't work on this one until you've got the plank really solidly! From there, just work on small push-ups until you feel more confident.

6. Tricep Dips - You can do these on a bench! The higher the bench is, the easier the dips will be.

7. Bicep Curls - You can do these without weights (yes, you might look a bit silly but it helps train your body with the correct movements) or with very light weights!

8. Overhead Press - Again, you can do this with no weights or light weights laugh

I hope this was helpful! Remember not to push yourself too hard, and it's okay if you can't do something heart sometimes there are limitations with our body and that is okay

2 replies
User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean July 28th, 2017

@PhoenixAsh

Thanks so much for that great information!

July 28th, 2017

@PhoenixAsh

Thank you for taking the time to share your exercise modifications and additional information with us! Greatly appreciated! Hugs! :)

load more
User Profile: BlindFaith
BlindFaith July 28th, 2017

Tighten your core muscles

First, sitting on a chair or on the floor or bed,

Second, put one hand over your lower tummy, that is between below the belly button

Third, sit like you usually sit and then move or lift your upper body forward (straighten up your upper body).

Ths will engage your core muscle. You can feel your muscle tighten under your hand. Do this a few times a day or as often as you like.

Extra, you can do this anywhere and even standing up, walking or running etc.

1 reply
July 28th, 2017

@BlindFaith

Great exercise, Faith! Thanks for sharing it with us! Hugs! :)

load more
User Profile: sweetSnow24
sweetSnow24 July 28th, 2017

@AlfalfaSproutDeux

I really wanna get back to a healthy sporty routine but it's hard when your mind is not there!

I should start small but I feel sick, tired or lost every time I think about trying ><' I think I may have a new motivation though. I'm questioning gender and I feel bad seeing myself so skinny and weirdly shaped, I wanna gain weight and muscles again so I can feel better with who I am.

Sorry for the mindless rant ^^ And thanks for the great post! It's a good memo!

7 replies
July 28th, 2017

@sweetSnow24

Hi Snow!

I

1 reply
User Profile: sweetSnow24
sweetSnow24 July 28th, 2017

@AlfalfaSproutDeux Thanks a lot! *hugs* heart

load more
User Profile: BlindFaith
BlindFaith July 28th, 2017

@sweetSnow24 thanks for sharing. What and who do you think might help you stay motivated?

4 replies
User Profile: sweetSnow24
sweetSnow24 July 28th, 2017

@BlindFaith I wish I had a strong answer to that, I'll try to sort this out I guess my own will is all I got for now ^^

3 replies
User Profile: BlindFaith
BlindFaith July 28th, 2017

@sweetSnow24

Would you be able to ask anyone from your family, friends, neighbors, social groups/clubs (etc facebook) for support and motivation?

2 replies
User Profile: sweetSnow24
sweetSnow24 July 28th, 2017

@BlindFaith Not really, I already tried and even if they believe in it, they don't really put much attention to that either so all I got are things like "yeah yeah it's great to do sports and stuff I should do that too, I can't 'cause of work/other excuses..." And we all move on and I'm stuck, not really liking sports but feeling bad with -40% muscles

1 reply
July 29th, 2017

@sweetSnow24

I'm so sorry to hear that you don't have a support system, Snow! That can make it even more difficult. :( Know that you have support available to you here, whenever you might need it! We have a Health Living Buddies program that you can join! Just go HERE and then create a post about yourself and list what you're looking for in a buddy! Remember that YOU MATTER and You can do this! We all want you to be happy and healthy! Sending you all the hugs and support!! ♥

load more
load more
load more
load more
load more
User Profile: Moj
Moj July 29th, 2017

I have squats and planks as a couple of the strength straining exercises I do to build up my back again as well as strengthen my core. Due to chronic back pain and other health concerns there are a number on here that I can't do. But it's ok because I've got a whole massive list of other ones I'm supposed to be doing a couple times daily...lol, so I wouldn't have time to add extras other ones in anyway.
Thanks for sharing this post, a good reminder to me that I'm on the right track laugh (which I guess I better be lol, since I got the exercises from physio. cheeky)

Little side note...have you ever watched a baby/toddler squatting? They innately have perfect form in squatting. How do we forget this so quickly and have to learn that perfect form again? If you've never noticed take time to watch next time you see a little one squatting, they do it well and with such ease!! surprise True, they're closer to the floor, but still. wink
Happy exercises everyone!

1 reply
July 31st, 2017

@Moj

You're definitely on the right track! I hope that consistency in practicing those PT exercises will help to ease your back pain. Hugs!

load more