Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Healthline: Caffeine Withdrawal: Drinking Decaf Can Help Reduce Painful Symptoms

User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 February 18th, 2023

“However, if you drink too much, it can sometimes have negative effects on health such as raising blood pressure. If you are trying to stop, caffeine withdrawal symptoms — such as headache, fatigue, irritability, and upset stomach — can often make that difficult.

If this is the case for you, a group of scientists at the University of Sydney has some potentially good news. According to the lead author of the study, Llewellyn Mills, PhD, a drug and alcohol researcher with the University of Sydney Medical School, drinking decaf coffee can temporarily reduce caffeine withdrawal symptoms.

And this effect exists even if you are aware that you are drinking decaf. “Sounds like voodoo, I know,” said Mills, “but we’ve observed it in three separate studies now, so we’re pretty confident it’s a real thing.””

My Takeaways:

  • According to statistics about 75% of people drink some form of caffeine everyday. Caffeine, a natural stimulant that does have benefits can also cause harm in excessive amounts or with certain people with unique health conditions. For example caffeine can cause higher blood pressures which would be detrimental for those with hypertension.

  • Caffeine addiction is also well characterized and studied. This addiction is noticed with the well-studied effects of caffeine withdrawal. For many, going a day without caffeine can cause them to feel excessively sleepy throughout the day and fatigued with low motivation.

  • According to this article, if you are trying to cut off caffeine intake, perhaps substitute decaf instead. With lower to no caffeine content, it was shown to ease the withdrawal symptoms that come with normally cutting caffeine cold turkey.

Do you drink coffee? How do you feel if you go without it?

Full article is here!

#Coffee #Caffeine #Withdrawal

6
User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean February 20th, 2023

@sunnyWriting4806

Thank you for sharing this information with our community. I know soooo many people who drink coffee or sodas etc.....

This information is very beneficial and valuable and a great addition to the the Healthy Living community!

1 reply
User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 OP February 22nd, 2023

@PoliteOcean

im a caffeine enjoyer myself so I have things to learn from this article as well! Thanks for reading :)

load more
User Profile: Dallady
Dallady February 22nd, 2023

@sunnyWriting4806

I'm trying decaf again.

I usually have one cup a day of regular coffee which started during covid I think and have tried the decaf method a few times to keep my guts from full-on quitting.

After serious multiple griefs and losses it became basically impossible to eat well and function.

So am trying to mitigate the fall-out of all that and drink decaf and accept life as it is which is really, really really hard for me for some reason.

1 reply
User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 OP February 23rd, 2023

@Dallady

Hey there, thank you for sharing that. I’d say sometimes there are times in which other life events can significantly impact our lives in the way we function and carry about things. Sometimes it’s okay to let these events change us as long as we’re able to find some sustainable normal as we adapt to them. Take your time with this process, whether it is taking decaf again and weaning off caffeine, hope you find recovery and energy to carry out your days again

load more
User Profile: ImpudentIncognito
ImpudentIncognito April 17th, 2023

I'm quite disappointed in myself ...

I was doing good with staying away from caffeine for 14days+, but ruined my streak again. The longest I was without caffeine was 40days.


Whenever I go a LONG time without it, and if I get a SMALL taste, it makes me want to go all out...

I have this problem with coffee. I don't really care much for soft drinks, as it tastes to sweet for me...

I might switch to non-caffeinated tea...

I heard technically decaf coffee has a VERY tiny percentage of caffeine, and I want to cut it cold turkey...for my health. Blood problems are common issue in the family.


I quit eating as much spicy food too, due to it making my heart hurt & throat burn sometimes (despite how amazing it tastes). It's common in my culture to eat spice and drink a LOT of coffee, but I'm getting older and need to pay more attention to my health...or I'll end up like some of my relatives...it's scary.


I'm going to try and drink only water whenever I crave coffee... It was working for a while for me tbh. It made me feel better (mentally) that I went with a healthier choice...


1 reply
User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 OP April 20th, 2023

@ImpudentIncognito

For sure, I understand that caffeine can definitely exacerbate blood pressure issues and especially with a family history it may be wise to keep consumption under control. Caffeine can also be seen as a drug, it's hard to quit because your body is already so used to it and functions with it. The taste of coffee activates that pathway of dependence making you want it so much. Its commendable that you're going cold-turkey, sometimes reframing our "failures" to keep the streak can help strengthen it more! Like "I was able to go clean for 40 days!, let's now shoot for 41!" etc etc. Of course the scale up intervals can be more drastic like 40 to 50 to 60 etc! You can never go wrong with water as well! :)

load more