Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Healthy Frozen Food Aisle

User Profile: Remina
Remina April 26th, 2017

You know frozen food can only be so healthy but sometimes we can't cook or don't have time to cook. So it can be nice to be able to know what healthy brands you guys like and comparing.

I myself am a fan of Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers. One dish fills me up pretty good. The sauce and the actual meal are separated by a steam bowl and you heat it up and once it's done you stir the food into the sauce bowl.

They don't use preservatives and it lets you know what food type it is substituting. For example, I had the sweet and sour chicken today from them since I like asian food for the most part, and I was interested in finding a healthy substitute for my guilty pleasure. This one meal had 1 lean meat, 1 veggie, and 4 carbohydrates. It was only 350 calories and it filled me nicely up!

It's only like 16 points on weight watchers!

You can read more about Healthy Choice meals here

Have you guys tried any of the meals from Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers? How did you like it? Have you tried any other brands?

13
User Profile: SadMe70
SadMe70 April 26th, 2017

I have not tried frozen meals, but I have found some frozen fruits to be very good. I sometimes get frozen red raspberries and mix with plain yogurt and honey to make tasty yogurt with lower sugar. I use frozen mango to make lassi (a drink) or salsa (these are much better than any fresh mangoes I can get where I live). Frozen whole cherries are also good. I use these and others for yogurt-based smoothies also.

1 reply
User Profile: Remina
Remina OP April 27th, 2017

@SadMe70

Hmmm Frozen fruits are pretty delicious!

load more
User Profile: TortueDesBois
TortueDesBois April 27th, 2017

my only frozen meals are when I cook in large quantities and then freeze it in smaller portions. It's a good alternative if you don't have much time for cooking. cook 1 meal or 10 meals does not take much more time, and you can cook several plates in 30 min for your week.

2 replies
User Profile: Remina
Remina OP April 27th, 2017

@TortueDesBois

That is true! You can always portion freeze! Thanks for sharing this wonderful idea, Bois.

User Profile: SadMe70
SadMe70 April 27th, 2017

@TortueDesBois I like doing this too. I pack some in small containers to take to work for lunch, and bigger ones for dinners.

load more
User Profile: TortueDesBois
TortueDesBois April 27th, 2017

@BurningEmber how much sodium ?

1 reply
User Profile: Remina
Remina OP April 27th, 2017

@TortueDesBois

not a lot.

load more
User Profile: DancingAlong
DancingAlong April 27th, 2017

@BurningEmber

As the resident vegan, I love Amy's frozen meals! They are a vegetarian food company, who have vegan and gluten free options as well. I can't give specific nutritional info as it depends on the type of food (veggie vs vegan vs gluten free vs combo), but they are a pretty healthy company overall.

2 replies
User Profile: Remina
Remina OP April 27th, 2017

@DancingAlong

thanks for sharing Dancy! I am sure people will find that information helpful.

April 27th, 2017

@DancingAlong

I'm also Vegan and agree...Amy's frozen meals are delicious if you're in a bind an looking for something quick. I normally just use frozen veggies and my own sauce conconctions, which are just as easy and have better macros/micros than prepackaged. :)

load more
User Profile: adaptablehouse7827
adaptablehouse7827 April 27th, 2017

Frozen vegies and fruits are better than produce department ones since they have almost no preservatives due to it being frozen to preserve it instead of trying to keep it fresh all the way from mexico

User Profile: sail46
sail46 April 27th, 2017

I find frozen vegetables are easy to prepare and you can make a quick vegetarian stir-fry with rice without added salt. Also you can add pre cooked chicken if you like.smiley

User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean April 27th, 2017

I too prefer some Frozen Veggies and Fruits when needing something Quick... (Such as frozen corn or Frozen Squash at dinner time as a quick side dish). And being on Weight Watchers veggies/fruits are ZERO points, (except for strarchy veggies like corn/potatoes) which are only 2 pts.

It helps alot when I am low on points at dinner time since I try to eat most of the points in the earlier part of the day..... The Veggies come in handy for "bulking" up a smaller meal.