Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Making healthy food decisions everyday

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 December 10th, 2021

So full-disclosure: with my age and slower metabolism, I have to watch and ration my calories everyday.

This strict regimen includes:

-Protein shakes everyday for breakfast (~530 calories)

-Usually skip lunch

-Have a bigger meal for dinner

And I literally have to watch my sweet tooth (and everything else) everyday.

Do any of you have some pretty strict (or stricter) health/food regimens that you have to keep up with for better/worse?

12
User Profile: IsayUncle
IsayUncle December 10th, 2021

@sereneSunset26
BIG Kudo's to you. I really need to do something like that. I enjoy cooking too much. All and any type of foods.... Then I stress eat. I'm 6'3 290lbs.

One good thing I do, is juice greens. 20 years ago I started a strong juice regimen and it was amazing, not only physically but surprising to me was my mind was so much sharper and my depressive moods evaporated. I eat too much other food now; for the juicing to be very effective, but it does keep vital nutrients in my body and I can feel the difference.

Thanks for your post.. And good job, keep it up.

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP December 10th, 2021

@IsayUncle

Thank you!!

I say thanks for a couple reasons; while I definitely have the caloric restriction thing down, I do need to eat more greens. Or, should I say, eat greens at all. 😅 Sounds like getting a juicer/blender may not be a bad idea for me going forward.

The other reason is, well, I have a friend who is your height and is well over 3 bills himself. I love the dude, but I feel like he has a pretty unhealthy relationship with food. He's already got sleep apnea and is showing diabetic symptoms. So, with that in mind (and if you don't mind me asking), what are some ways that you have been able to deal with your emotional/stress eating? I would gratefully take any tips that I could pass on. :)

User Profile: IsayUncle
IsayUncle December 10th, 2021

@sereneSunset26
Hey... Good talking with you. I enjoy cooking and exploring all kinds of food. I have not been managing my stress eating at all lately. (Except for forced discipline) So, I don't crave greens and salads and vegetables etc. BUT I always enjoy eating them, they are delicious... but I don't crave them.

I stopped buying bologna and hotdogs and processed meats. Limited buying my chips and sweets to a couple occasions a month. (This forces me to make dinners and so I still overeat but it's better stuff)
Because I don't crave greens they come last and then I have to hurry to make something before they spoil and then sometimes I just juice a bunch so they don't spoil. They're great for me. I always feel noticeably better after a couple of mason jars of juice. I'm not a devoted juicer but it's one of the first things I do when I start to shut down from depression or want to feel better physically.

I hope your friend doesn't get stuck with diabetes, all my best there. And I really wish I had your caloric disciplines. That's awesome!

So right now, I'm in a place where I still over eat and stress eat but now I try to put healthier foods in my system. Thank you so much for asking and if you ever want to talk about juicing, let me know, be glad to share.😊

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP December 11th, 2021

@IsayUncle

I can absolutely relate to what you mean by not craving certain (i.e. healthy) foods, but also really enjoying them when I do eat them.

There's a line in a song by Savage Garden from way back that says something like:

"I believe the reason junk food tastes so good is cuz it's bad for you"

I find a lot of truth in that; I feel like the foods my body craves (salty stuff, carbs, sweets) all taste good going down, but in the end, offer just about zero for me in the way of actual nutrition.

I've learned the hard way, by experience, that there are just certain no-gos for me with food. Bags of chips, chocolate chip cookie dough, and oreos all qualify for me as "foods" I enjoy, but absolutely have to avoid. Because if they're out of sight, I don't have to worry about them. But if they are? My self-control (or even just portion-control) goes out the window.

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 December 12th, 2021

@sereneSunset26 The only one I have is No dairy due to my lactose intolerance.

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP December 13th, 2021

@comfortableNight4463

I have a couple friends who struggle with that. Through those friends, I even had the opportunity to try rice and almond milk for the first time. Was definitely a little different, but I kind of liked both--probably favored almond slightly, of the two.

What have been some of your diet-related food/drinks that you have successfully substituted for dairy?

load more
User Profile: exquisitePeace7976
exquisitePeace7976 December 24th, 2021

@sereneSunset26

Thanks so much for sharing..

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP December 27th, 2021

@exquisitePeace7976

Anytime!!

I've noticed that taking care of my body everyday has been a journey in and of itself. And that, for better or worse, my body is now accustomed to eating healthy.

Because, over Christmas, I received two different stockings and I *may have* gone to town on some Reese's candy.

Well...I didn't exactly get sick to the point of not being able to keep it down, but I could tell that my body was kinda revolting against via a stomach ache for not eating as healthily. 😅

load more
User Profile: adventurousBranch3786
adventurousBranch3786 December 30th, 2021

@sereneSunset26. Hi I was given a heart healthy diet to follow. So I had to cut out most things that I like. I cut down sweets to once a week or on a special day/holiday. It was hard at first but I am getting used to it. I had to increase eating vegetables a lot. The diet calls for half my plate to be veggies at each meal. So I still have some work to do for that. High carb foods such as bread or rice are limited to 3 small servings a day😒. It has been challenging but I am getting there.

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP January 3rd, 2022

@adventurousBranch3786

Thank you for your reply!

As someone with diabetes (among other things) in my family history, I do know what it's like to have to follow a diet that is not exactly in itself appetizing. I am fortunate enough to not have any of the conditions that litter my genetics, but that is only because I realize that I have no margin for error in that regard.

I have found that my body has definitely adjusted to my new diet over the past couple years. Which mainly consists of a protein shake in the morning, and two small (or one large) meals after that. Along with just drinking water 99% of the time. Due to the holidays, I had had more sweets than usual, and it felt like my body was literally revolting against me for eating so poorly then. 😅

load more