Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Unique or Unusual Healthy Foods

May 31st, 2017

There are so many different healthy foods from our own country and around the globe that we might not be aware of or get to experience without a little friendly nudge. Trying new foods keeps your diet exciting and you're more likely to continue making healthy choices!

I'll share with you 2 of my current favorites. You should know my love of all things vegetable - and specifically potato - runs deep. I recently discovered my latest obsession - the Japanese Sweet Potato. The clouds parted..the sun shone brighter...the birds sang...it was love at first bite! I am also a big fan of Kimchee - so delicious, spicy and good for you! For some reason, I can't seem to ever have enough of those two things!

Has anyone tried Japanese Sweet Potatoes or Kimchee? Let me know if you have and what you thought!

Have you discovered any unique or unusual healthy foods that you've come to love? Please share them so we might give them a try, too!

31
User Profile: AffyAvo
AffyAvo May 31st, 2017

I've not heard of Japanese sweet potatoes. I'll have to look for them at T&T - an Asian supermarket chain the next time I'm there.

I'm hoping to get more haskap berries this year. Last year the birds got most of them so the only ones I got were a bit underripe! I never see them in stores or farmers markets, I only see the plants being sold. I'm not a big fan of saskatoons because I feel like they are a dry, seedy blueberry. I'm hoping that haskaps are to blueberries what blueberries are to saskatoons!

3 replies
June 1st, 2017

@AffyAvo

Do let me know if you find the potatoes and try them!

Thank you for sharing Haskap and Saskatoon berries...I've not heard of either one, but will definitely be on the lookout to try them both! Do you grow Haskaps yourself? I hope the birds will share them with you this year. :)

2 replies
User Profile: AffyAvo
AffyAvo June 2nd, 2017

@AlfalfaSproutDeux

I guess it's difficult to buy saskatoons, but there are saskatoon trees everywhere. The biggest city in Saskatchewan, a province over from me is Saskatoon. Farmers markets often sell saskatoon products - jams, syrups, etc.

I have 4 haskap bushes in my backyard. We've only had them a few years, so they aren't super productive yet, but I think we should get a decent amount this year. My husband needs to get that netting up before they change colours so the robins dont' devour them though!

1 reply
June 2nd, 2017

@AffyAvo

I bet all the saskatoon trees are lovely and all those jams, jellies and syrups sound yummy. :)

Wow! I hope you have so many haskap berries this year that you won't even notice the Robins sneaking a few here and there! Do let us know how they turn out!

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: Alia2
Alia2 May 31st, 2017

@AlfalfaSproutDeux

Sounds interesting , can you share its recipe ? :D

3 replies
June 1st, 2017

@Alia2

I don't make the Kimchi myself...I purchase it at the market. :) It should be relatively simple to make, but it does take some fermentation time! I found this recipe that I may take a stab at one day: Homemade Vegan Kimchi Recipe

Let me know if you try it!

2 replies
User Profile: Alia2
Alia2 June 2nd, 2017

@AlfalfaSproutDeux

I will try it fir sure 😁

1 reply
User Profile: Alia2
Alia2 June 2nd, 2017

for*

load more
load more
load more
June 1st, 2017

@AlfalfaSproutDeux

Ooopsie! It's Kimchi - not Kimchee...curse you, autocorrect!

User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean June 2nd, 2017

I don't think I have any unusal foods.....

I do tend to get "creative" at times though and "make up things/dishes"... Like make some noodles, and throw different things on them etc... or I used to make casseroles when my son still lived with me and throw a bunch of stuff in them and make stuff up..lol... (If that counts as unusual)? lol

1 reply
June 2nd, 2017

@PoliteOcean

It absolutely counts! Creating something from what you have is amazing...and that's how you make new discoveries of things that you never thought go together...but somehow they do! Keep on creating those dishes! :)

load more
User Profile: sunshineSun9
sunshineSun9 June 5th, 2017

Yummmm! Try medicinal mushrooms like Chaga or RESHI 😍

2 replies
June 5th, 2017

@sunshineSun9

Just researched those mushrooms you suggested...very interesting! Thank you so much for taking the time to share! :)

User Profile: SHEAINTGOTNOSHOES
SHEAINTGOTNOSHOES June 11th, 2017

@sunshineSun9

As a life long insomnia and info junkie, I have done and tried everything to sleep well. Years ago I stumbled upon reishi mushroom as a sedative. I bought the capsules and I take 5 a nite along with my Klonapin and I sleep like a corpse most nite. In terms of eating mushrooms, I am lucky ( in terms of shopping ) to be in NY where anything and everything can be had, and eat a lot of shitake mushrooms as well as hen of the woods as well. Woodstock organic frozen veggies do a mixed mushrooms and they have at least 4 different types in there. Highly recommended !

load more
User Profile: adaptablehouse7827
adaptablehouse7827 June 5th, 2017

Frozen fruit vs produce department.

Because it is frozen to preserve it instead of sprayed, frozen fruit is actually better than produce department.

1 reply
June 11th, 2017

@adaptablehouse7827

Very true! We often don't consider that "fresh" produce often has a very lengty journey to the market and in the end, isn't really that fresh at all! I try to purchase locally grown, organic fruits and vegetables when I can. If they are not available, frozen is the way to go! :)h But we just have to do the best we can and choose the best of the options available. :)

load more
June 5th, 2017

Here's another one...

At Sam's (a warehouse club in the U.S. and beyond..) I randomly found Sungold Kiwi. This might not be unusual or unique to anyone but me, but I was delighted to unexpectedly discover something new that I now adore. It is like a traditional kiwi, but it has a smooth skin and the flesh is yellow. It's much sweeter and less tart than green kiwi. I think if you like one you will like the other as well!

Has anyone ever tried the Gold Kiwi?

User Profile: SHEAINTGOTNOSHOES
SHEAINTGOTNOSHOES June 11th, 2017

I had the strangest thing the other day but they were outrageous and I would def buy again. They were saurkraut tortilla chips and the very first ingredient was saurkraut. Not a hang of lot less fat than potato chips, but if you like sharp or sour things, they were the bomb.

3 replies
June 11th, 2017

@SHEAINTGOTNOSHOES

Thanks for sharing!! Those sound yummy! I love sauerkraut, so I would definitely give them a try! I don't think I've seen them anywhere before...do you remember where you got them? Have you tried Kimchi? It's basically spicy Korean sauerkraut!

2 replies
User Profile: SHEAINTGOTNOSHOES
SHEAINTGOTNOSHOES June 11th, 2017

@AlfalfaSproutDeuxshopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwijYdxbQU_hpyjQqOf

1 reply
User Profile: SHEAINTGOTNOSHOES
SHEAINTGOTNOSHOES June 11th, 2017

@SHEAINTGOTNOSHOES

Yes, I had my first serving of kimchi about 20 years ago as I was seeing someone who was half Korean and half Italian, it blew my mind, it was right up my alley. I was a foreign language major in college and I have literally eaten my way around the world and part of my wardrobe and half of my jewelry are from other countries as well.

Have you had Nepali food ? Is it outrageous. Ditto for Burmese, Thai, Vietnamese, Indian and Bangladeshi.

load more
load more
load more