Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Special diets and friends

User Profile: vivelespatates
vivelespatates March 19th, 2015

Hi.How your friends react when you are on a special diet? Is that an issue in the party? How do you deal with it? I am waiting for your comments!

7
User Profile: AffyAvo
AffyAvo March 23rd, 2015

I've had quite positive experiences. The negative attitudes are far outweighed by the positive for me.

The biggest problem is just the lack of care. I've noticed that some people think that because something is safe for one person's special diet, that's it's good for another - when it might not be. Their intentions are good, so I feel a bit bad stepping on some toes and double checking, but safety first and they understood in the end.

I think it helps that others see I am careful when it comes to everyone's needs. I might not know everything, so I ask, invite them to bring their own, they can prep in my kitchen, etc.

User Profile: DuckBook
DuckBook March 27th, 2015

I think the reactions of others in this case very much relies on your attitude towards it. I've had food allergies all my life and have never really had a problem with it when it comes to get togethers and parties. I don't expect people to make something especially for me, I just eat what I can and am very happy with that. I always make sure to thank someone if they have tried to take my allergies into account, even if it might not have been fully right at least they went out of their way and their heart's in the right place. And if you explain why you want to know what's in some dish people are usually more than happy to tell you. It's only a big deal if you make it one.

User Profile: mapcap
mapcap June 25th, 2015

I've had both positive and negative and honestly the most negativity comes from my family.

User Profile: AlovingFriend
AlovingFriend August 5th, 2015

Usually my friends are very supportive. Although, because we are close, they will tease me and try to jokingly pressure me to eat things I shouldn't. So definitely have a lot of willpower when you decide to share the news that you're dieting!

User Profile: KoiFish
KoiFish August 12th, 2015

@vivelespatates when I started my fruitarian diet it was hard because my friends hadn't heard of it and weren't really sure how to react when we had a pizza party at game night. I don't remember if I had a slice or not. I was on that diet for 3 months and things started picking up from there as far as switching my diet from prepackaged junk to whole fruits and veggies. I do not eat a fruitarian diet anymore although fruits are still a big part of what I eat during the week.

1 reply
User Profile: MistyMagic
MistyMagic March 4th, 2018

@KoiFish

did you use a dehumidifier? That way you can dry thin slices of fruit or veg and they can be used as wraps :)

load more
User Profile: Flourish
Flourish August 12th, 2015

@vivelespatates - It highly depends. First of all if I know I am on a special diet and they are planning to cook for me or I am going to a party. I let the host know in advance. I feel it is not fair for them to cook for hours expecting me to try some of their delicious meal and I reject it neither for me to be forced to eat it. Also it will save them some money if it could have been avoided. If I do mention it to them prior things are okay. On other cases when I am not told I'll be eating and it comes by random and I can't eat that... I mention why I can't and most times (the people I know) were okay with it. I don't remember of a bad response.

One time my mom invited someone who was "vegetarian" (she was pescaterian but called herself vegetarian who eats fish and seafood, I guess she didn't know how to call it then or it sounded simpler to others). We made pescatarian food for her and she enjoyed it. Had she not mention she is pescatarian and we had made a non pescatarian meal for her. It would be very uncomfortable for both parties to switch or even do anything. The first time she had not mention till she arrived but good enough there was vegetarian food already so there was nothing to change. If she was a raw foodist per se though, that would be more challenging to deal with because everyone doesn't stock on nuts, grains, sprouts, dehydrated fruits/veggies etc. When on a special diet that is not very common it will help to mention it earlier so the host can have the time to tweak what they'll be cooking.

Of course the same applies to if you are visiting someone who is in a special diet but your diet does not match theirs.

It is always better to mention your special dietary preferences in advance.