Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Empathy & Compassion – Just Being There

User Profile: SimplyCompassionate
SimplyCompassionate February 4th

Empathy is feeling with someone, understanding and sharing their emotions. Compassion is feeling for someone and being moved to act to help relieve their suffering; empathy is the understanding, but compassion adds the motivation to alleviate pain, preventing the burnout that can come with pure empathy.  I’ve noticed that empathy is not about having the right words. It’s more about how we listen and how present we are with someone. Many times, when a person shares something difficult, they don’t really want advice. They just want to feel understood.

I’ve caught myself wanting to fix things quickly, offer solutions, give reassurance, or change the topic so it feels lighter. But over time, I’ve learnt that simply staying with the feeling can be far more comforting. Empathy is about allowing space for emotions, even when they feel uncomfortable.

Empathy doesn’t mean taking on someone else’s pain or ignoring our own limits. It just means showing up with care, respect, and honesty. Sometimes, that alone can make a person feel less alone.

Compassion shows up in small ways. It might be listening completely without judging them, saying “that sounds really hard,” or just letting silence exist. I also feel compassion is something we often forget to give ourselves. We expect ourselves to be strong all the time and feel guilty when we struggle. Being kind to ourselves is just as important as being kind to others. 

What makes you feel truly heard when you share something personal?

How easy or difficult is it for you to show compassion to others or to yourself?

5
User Profile: Amanda84
Amanda84 February 4th

@SimplyCompassionate

I feel heard when someone reiterates what I said.

When try listen.

Don't talk over me.

And don't make it about themselves or tell me how to feel 💚🤗

thank-you-sprunki-2013.gif

User Profile: listeningyouout29
listeningyouout29 March 23rd

@Amanda84 

I resonate with this so much!

load more
User Profile: Aurora123lights
Aurora123lights March 20th

@SimplyCompassionate

When I share something personal, I feel truly heard when someone listens without interrupting or judging, like you know, just being present and showing they care. As for compassion, I find it way easier to show it to others than to myself. Being kind to myself takes effort, but I’m working on it. It’s a process.

User Profile: listeningyouout29
listeningyouout29 March 23rd

@Aurora123lights

Presence is so simple yet powerful! 

load more
User Profile: persistentOwl5658
persistentOwl5658 March 23rd

@SimplyCompassionate oh wow, this is coming from an amazing person. great