Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I don't feel like other gay people

User Profile: Redchamberstrue
Redchamberstrue January 8th, 2020

I'm 22 years old and studying at university. I recently realized that I'm gay

So far i don't like it. I don't feel like other gay guys. I don't feel like I can connect to anyone.

I've told some friends but they don't really same to care or understand what I'm going through.

I don't know what to do. I just feel so miserable.

4
User Profile: Listeningsarinn
Listeningsarinn January 8th, 2020

@Redchamberstrue i had these very same days you are talking about... i totally get the feelings on the first days to identify as gay... it feels weird, it feels like being someone you are not or better i say you are not supposed to be... but i would connect and get to talk to other people out there who would understand my feelings and help me also understand myself (which was personally hard for me), while people around me doesn't seem to do that...

at the end just let me assure you however it feels over strange now and seems non-understandable, these days passheart :")

User Profile: Aayla
Aayla January 8th, 2020

It's definitely a challenging moment for you, I understand... It's a new world and it might not be easy to jump in. I don't know what were your views about LGBT before realizing who you are, this could also have an influence in making you feel bad. But one thing I can tell you is that gay people, like all types of people, are very different from one another! There will obviously be gays to whom you can't easily connect, maybe because you have very different ways of living your identity. But there are as many ways to be gay as there are gays. And surely there are people out there that you can connect to, though they may not be so easily visible at first. Give yourself time to get used to who you are and to start getting more familiar with this reality. Maybe you could also consider attending some LGBT association or group to see if you can meet people with whom you can relate. And if your friends don't seem to understand you, you can try to find out what it is that they don't understand and try to explain how things really are, if they are good friends they'll give you a chance to be better understood. Or you can keep looking for support elsewhere; you definitely deserve to be supported, don't let these bad feelings you're having convince you that you don't! Best wishes!

User Profile: electra76
electra76 January 11th, 2020

(previous nonpost was a browser error)

I have felt at times like I'm 'not like other queer people.' I'm not really very hip, my appearance is pretty normative, I don't love to debate politics (though the work I do is somewhat activist-y in nature), I'm not a vegan, etc etc. The core of the queer social scene wasn't for me in the same way that other social scenes weren't really for me. I don't go to bars, I'm awkward in large groups. But it turns out there's a vast range of queer people in the world, and you can find people you click with who also happen to be queer. What worked for me is seeking out queer people who already participate in my hobby (e.g. if you're a video gamer, find a group for gay gamers). Some real-life connection like that has always worked better than dating apps, for me, though this applies to finding queer friends too. If you can connect about something you're already both into, chances are higher that you'll get along.