Some people work so hard, long hours, just to barely scrape by in life??
Some work to live, some live to work. Some people have everything handed to them, while others scrimp and save. And then there are people like me, who live of benefits. So I wanted to know your thoughts on this, to help me in my journey of learning about life. Is education really important, does it make a difference in work? Is the working system fair? Does it cause jealously or hatred towards others? What do you work for??
@Tinywhisper11
You're asking some really interesting questions here. I suspect you'll find a lot of different perspectives on this question because everyone comes from such a different background. I'll take a stab at some answers, from my own perspective. I'll also be curious to see what other people have to say.
"Is education really important, does it make a difference in work?"
I think this depends a LOT on where you live and what kind of work you want to do. Yes, education is important, for anyone, anywhere, but not necessarily in the same ways. People may have have inspirations, mentors, and experiences throughout their lives. They may also have formal education - elementary school, high school, college, university. They may be homeschooled. They may get a certificate or learn a skilled trade. They may have internships, summer jobs, volunteer opportunities. I think any and all of these things count as education.
There are many jobs that require a college degree, but many others that don't. The most important thing for anyone looking for work *should* be their ability to get the job done well, and that is probably not directly related to how much "formal" education they have had.
It's a long answer (and I could go on and on) but the main point I'm trying to make is this: It reallly depends. Personal skills like good communication, reliability, being a hard worker, being honest and trustworthy, working well with others... and being in the right place at the right time... these things can help just as much as "formal" education.
"Is the working system fair? Does it cause jealousy or hatred towards others?"
Tricky question. I'd have to say yes and no. I think there are a lot of things about the working system as a whole that I think are unfair. But I don't have any solutions for the problems. I think we're very stuck in a system that no one person has the power to change.
I think it's easy to feel resentful of someone who has something that we want. Why to actors make so much more money than school teachers? Isn't a great school teacher ultimately more important to society than a movie star? (no offense intended to anyone out there who's a movie star...) That seems unfair to me.
"What do you work for??"
Personally, I work partly for the money, and partly because it's something to do with my time. I have generally enjoyed the work I've had and have found it satisfying. I wish I didn't have to work at all. I wish I could just have all the money I needed to have a great life and spend my time doing things that are the most meaningful to me. But those things I enjoy most don't pay anything, and I need to eat, live, pay taxes, etc., therefore I also need to work.
@Tinywhisper11
Very interesting questions... and as other poster said it is all depends on the person more IMO then formal education....
Some careers of course require certain degrees and education but basic working many can learn and adapt basic skills to many things....Some do not try for better work as they do not see basic skills can transfer to many opportunities. Food service and retail need customer service skills just like corporate sales or real estate...BIG difference in $$$. A person who is in a certain type job when looking for new job often look in same field and then cannot see how they cannot get ahead by trying different things.
A good friend with basic HS graduation but excellent people skills was hired to train a whole room of recent college graduates that regardless of a piece of paper could not grasp people skills and customer service skills ............the HS grad made more then the formally educated... he was promoted as well over people who thought they could not put in effort by that same piece paper should lift them up 3 notches without knowing the job.
Computer skills are needed for many things but far too many think they know systems and programs and forget each place regardless if they use the same software does not mean their application is the same. Some come in with the idea they know a better way in a week instead of seeing the big picture and WHY places do things a certain way.
I worked in every type place from fast food to retail to medical research to corporate offices as a assistant to very important corporate types.... many different industries as well .....
I saw the same types of people in all of them ......
#1 those who succeeded and moved up were ones who learned whatever they needed often found an old timer as a mentor for the job did all they were expected and then some. They were team players and did not look down on any task as too unimportant for them. They rose above others simply with a get the job done attitude. They treated all co-workers the same from janitor to a senior VP
#2 the type who thought every job was beneath them ..... who because their "education" thought they could do everything without instruction or help. They spent more time trying to be noticed and avoid the actual work as possible ..... They never wanted to come in extra or stay late if needed but complained constantly that others did not see their greatness...... they treated others poorly and felt superior.
I often surpassed those who wanted to list off their resume whenever they met a person.... because I was a team player and fit what they wanted .... learned the big picture and why we did things a certain way instead of trying to redefine the role to be what i wanted....
I have seen some buy homes and support family on very low paying jobs .... i do not know how but they did what they needed to ....... i also worked with people making 6 figures who struggled to pay bills on time ..or pay rent.... again not sure where money went.... amount of $ made does not equal quality of life.
LIFE just like work is about attitude and priorities .. it was NEVER one size fits all or about being FAIR .
Tinywhisper have had quite the story and i know serious disabilities but with your great attitude ....you would have excelled at many things.
@toughTiger6481 aww that's nice of you to say ❤ so I guess you need to be somewhat educated for every job. It's really strange and not fair how people can work so very hard just to scrape by. And wow! You've done everything😮 you must have a great education and experience ❤❤ thankyou for sharing this with me ❤❤
@Tinywhisper11
I applaud your efforts to ask about items from others perspective.
When you speak of some who work hard and not getting by ... which is totally happening ..........the answers IMO are in the details...
not a one size fits all but case by case basis. Is your inquiry based on something you read or examples and people close to you etc. ?
Life is and should be about more then work ... but choices matter...... and choices although they may be simple can have long rippling effects.
When some are limited in employable situations most talk about education.......
I have seen sometimes see past issues that limit them ...
examples include the following
getting into any sort of trouble legally ... cuts you out of MANY jobs that run a background check .... a degree does not fix that.
Have a bad driving record or lost license ?.................Forget any job where you may drive a company truck/ car even if you have all other skills for a job.
Experience is often more important then formal education as real life does not have a yes / no answer and a simple solution like simulated scenarios they show in school. real world applications rely on experience and able to pivot not i will go re read the book.
Like i said in previous post ATTITUDE is a big deal .... i have a job now where i am sure on paper the last person may have had a better resume or formal education but they would OFTEN only show up 3 days a week and was fired as the job is 5 days not 3 ..... so if the next job checks references or asks maybe they will save themselves the hassle of finding out the person shows up sporadically.
now in social circles some people say I try so hard ......but life is so unfair and never mention their own choices.
@toughTiger6481 life can be so unfair yes, a good attitude and work ethic, is like you said a need to get on in life. So you think education is important, but life experience is just as important? I think I would have to agree ❤ I've never worked or been educated so this question is basically based from what I've heard on this site, and yeah heard in real life stories too ❤ I like hearing people's perspectives on things I want to learn more about, I think that's the best way to learn ❤❤
@Tinywhisper11 Im unsure how to answer most of this but its my biggest belief that knowledge is power. And no information is to small and important. What you teach me may be pointless in my everyday life but may be life altering to the one I teach it to..... Heres my little tidbit
@Tinywhisper11 the thing is, our system is built on compassion and basic human rights. You have every right to receive benefits and care. Also let's not forget that it may seem like ohh these people live on benefits while others have to work, but the thing is, how many things can we do that people on benefits can't. We barely experience any pain or health complications, at least not as severe as people who receive the benefits. We have the tools to make our life as good as we are willing to make it, while people who receive benefits receive them for a reason, that being that they can not for some reason that is not at all their fault do this. It is very good that there is help for those who need it.
I don't hate anyone on benefits, and I don't even resent people who were born into rich families. The thing is, their ancestors usually worked very hard to build that wealth, and it wouldn't be fair to not let them have it. They were smart with money, them and their family deserves to enjoy it now. Sure, maybe I won't ever be a billionaire and it will take me years to pay back a loan I will take for a home, and years to finally be able to afford more fun. But the thing is, that's life. Money is not everything and as long as we have at least a little food on the table and a roof over our head, we will manage. Life is as we make it to be, and it is up to me make good decisions as an adult, despite still living at my parents, and save up all I can for an easier future while leveling up my experience and skills. But the thing is, it is rarely a case of nothing can be done. You just may not have the luxury you want, but there is usually a solution, it just depends on what you prioritise. You can have the home to yourself but pay more, or sacrifice some peace for a roommate and cut your spending significantly. You can choose not to have two jobs but more time with your family but, you have less money then. Or you can go work more at expense of your family time. So in most cases, there is a way, just not the ultimate comfort we want. And that's ok. Life is about overcoming the stuff and becoming better versions of ourselves in the process, so maybe I or my family won't ever be millionaires and struggle with paychecks for years, but that's ok. My parents managed it, their parents managed it, millions of other families managed it and so will i🌻🌻🌻
Concerning education, nope. Honestly, would argue going to college and stuff will just hold you back today, unless you want to work in medicine, law, psychology, architecture or science. All the rest is *** in my oppinion, especially that there is a lot of courses you can take to get specific skill sets, and unless you are not in the fields mentioned, noone will ever care, and companies train you when joining them anyway. There is so many stories of people lying on resumes and getting the job doing it very well despite not having a degree. Also, don't forget the debt it puts people in, that is not helping at all. It also sets you back in life quite a lot, because you come out of school at 25, with a degree everyone has, so it is kind of good to just display on the bathroom wall. You have a huge debt, little to no work experience, nothing. And you still will end up taking an entry level job. So the truth is, unless you have a job you can't do without a degree, education doesn't matter at all. What matters is your will to learn, diligence, discipline and most of things are manageable.
@sadcat13 there ain't no shame in living with your parents. Especially in this day and age, there's not much other option for many people ❤ yes I guess your right life is all about getting your priorities right, and your perspective on life ❤ so I see again, it comes down to life choices and experience, rather than education 🤔🤔 thanks for sharing this with me ❤❤ hugs you tightly ❤
Good questions Tiny. I have worked to survive and have scraped to get by. I also am now going to be on benefits soon, since all that work (and other trauma related stuff) has worn down my body, but I'm hoping to recover... In terms of if education is important -- it depends. I think a formal education can help BUT some people end up learning on their own. My mother is from a Spanish-speaking country, her mother died when she was but a child and became an orphan early. She worked had to drop out of school around the age of 12 years old and work in a factory in her home country. Eventually, she worked as a secretary at a law firm, and moved later on to the current English-speaking country we reside in and met my father. She knew NO English and taught herself through newspapers, books, shows, and music. She eventually went to college and studied to work in education. If she can do this, then anyone can. It's a mean of searching for what you want.
Some people are not very fond of college though, they may have schooling up to highschool or only took a year of two of college before dropping out, then they end up starting their own businesses (ex. Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, Steve Jobs, etc). Abraham Lincoln (the 16th president born in the 1800s) also only had maybe 18 months of formal education and self-taught himself to become a lawyer. All on his own. No college, hardly any education. I don't think formal education is 100% necessary, as long as you have drive, ambition, or the curiosity to learn.
Furthermore, I wanted to add that Nordic countries (Finland, Norway, & Sweden) as well as Denmark offer Universal Basic Income. So, even if you're not working, you still get paid. This pay actually ends up inspiring and motivating people to work or to get an education. They also pay completely for your schooling if you choose to go to college, and they guarantee jobs for those who are 25 and below once they graduate high school. It's a very interesting system. Each country has their own thing going on. In my mother's home country, she had to work VERY hard to survive, so even though I am dealing with chronic pain and other things, she keeps pestering me on when I will be back to working -- which isn't so simple... It's not like I don't want to be able to provide for my family, it's that I'm incapable at the moment due to health issues. Benefits help people like us who are in that predicament.
Since I have been rather lonely and cooped up inside, I try to make online friends...at least until I recover and can go outside. There's just a lot of stuff going on at the moment.
Anyhow, I hope you are doing well. Please take care! 💖 🫂✨
@ImpudentIncognito yaaaaay! That's awesome news ❤ I'm so glad they finally put you on benefits ❤❤ it seems education is only important for certain jobs, but like you said if you got the drive in you, then you can be anything ❤chronic pain is a terrible thing, you are supporting your family just by getting the strength to get out of bed each day ❤ I think your a wonderful mum ❤ ❤
@Tinywhisper11
It depends entirely on your route
Some people want to go the route where education is required, it's not always the actual education but the fact that you obtained a degree etc that is important to emplyers
Then there are the entrepreneur types. You don't need qualifications for that.
No, it's not fair - depending which country culture you are in. In some countries if you don't come from a relatively wealthy background then you have very little chance to achieve financial success
In general, no it is not "fair" but as you know , that goes for pretty much everything in life
@WhatNameidk yes it does, nothing is fair. But I guess as long as your happy with your life, then that's all that matters ❤❤ thanks for answering ❤❤ gives you a giant tiny hug ❤
@Tinywhisper11
Are you thinking of working?
Not all working is "jobs". I mean, you can be a freelance writer, for example
You definitely have some talent with your words and probably some other talents as well
@WhatNameidk at the moment, my health is not great. But when I get a bit better (mentally more than physically) I do want to do donate my time to charity ❤ I know that's not a job, but it's something I would like to do. Right now I try to do my bit around cups, in the forums and chatrooms. I'm more of a artist than a writer. But only art for fun, not money ❤❤ I hope your having a good day today??
@Tinywhisper11 Do you still post your art somewhere here on 7cups? I miss seeing your art and haven't found them anymore... 😭
@Tinywhisper11 I do the work I do, to provide support and help, that is sometimes lacking, in our society today.
For me, it is not about the money, it is just that I love giving back, no amount of money could ever bring that much love for me. Yes, money is important. I do get money for being disabled. I do this work, to give back for all the times I needed help and support. There were times people were there for me, and there were times that they were not. I try my best to be there, as much as I can for those who are suffering. Those, who need someone who gets their struggles in life. I may not always understand fully, what they are going through, but I try my best to walk in their shoes, and show as much empathy as I can humanly can. I hope I answered some of your questions.
@calmMango9611 ❤ you are definitely one of the good ones ❤ I wish more people took your example, helping out/giving back. That's what I try to do the best I can ❤❤ thankyou for answering ❤
@Tinywhisper11 Your very welcomed, my friend.
@Tinywhisper11 I think of education as a way to learn more about how to help the world ^^ it's important to me because I want to see positive change. So even though I have to save, and it's not really fair, I still think it's great that I can get an education eventually if I work hard enough ♡
@VioletNotes sounds like you got it all figured out for yourself ❤ I wish you all the best in life's journey ❤❤
@VioletNotes Education, is very important, my friend.
@Tinywhisper11
hi we meet again this is a very intersting topic and i am speechless i cant really say where i fall in but you said you live with benefits pls explain
@yellowThinker7831 trigger warning -disabilities..my spine is broken and not completely fixable, so I'm half paralysed, my legs just became dead weights so they amputated them, I am also missing some of my fingers now. So anyways I can't work cause of my disabilities, and all the pain. So I get living allowance, and disability benefits from the government.
@Tinywhisper11 Thanks for sharing your struggles with us. I wish you did not have the pain, my friend. I wish you could walk again, my friend. I feel for you. I really do. I wish I could make @Tinywhisper11, feel better and I wish I could fix it so you could walk again, my friend. But I cannot, sadly. But, I am here providing you some emotional support and care. I hope it helps some. Blessings, my friend.
@Tinywhisper1
Tiny hun i believe education is important but its for the life skill u recieve while at school college uni work.
Many things dont come easy who dont recieve thesr neccessary skills even friends and relationships are hard if youve not expierenced these.
Work yes work is important but the most important thing is kindness . Compassion . Honesty . Love . And that comes from within.
Just because ur on a benfit dosnt mean ur less then hun. Your unique in ur own rite. Your kind your caring your a wonderful friend. Thats more important then schooling and jobs hun.
