Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What is a seemingly mundane question you can ask somebody that will tell you a lot about their personality?

User Profile: abdessamadelmadri98
abdessamadelmadri98 July 1st, 2025

Not all questions are what they appear to be. A question that seems casual on the surface may, at its core, be a mirror to the soul—crossing the visible to touch the hidden. Therefore, we should not judge the depth of a question by how it looks, but by what it stirs in the depths of another.


Instead of asking someone directly:

❌ "What is your mother’s name?"

You could ask:

 "Have you ever thought about naming one of your children or grandchildren after your mother?"


And instead of asking:

❌ "Are you an introvert?"

You might say:

 "If your life were a movie, what would its inner voice sound like—dialogue or silence?"

 Or: "If your childhood were a book, what would its title be?"


Questions like these open doors to meaningful conversation without pushing the other person into a defensive corner. They allow the speaker to express themselves freely, without the sense of being judged or observed.


For me, for example, if I wanted to understand someone’s personality without being intrusive, I might ask:


"If your life were just a movie, where would you place its most honest scene? And who would play you?"


This way, I might gain a clear view of what the person is feeling or going through—without directly asking about it.


The goal of this approach isn't to be clever, but rather to use the intelligence of both heart and mind to create a space for real, enjoyable, and intimate dialogue. As Plato once said:


"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."


Thus, asking questions is not merely a linguistic exercise—it is a moral, intellectual, and aesthetic act. One that can save a conversation from heaviness and transform it into a genuine meeting between two selves, listening to one another through symbols, imagination, and possibility.


And as Richard Rorty said:


"We do not uncover truth through answers, but through the frameworks in which we choose to ask our questions."


6
User Profile: Sunisshiningandsoareyou
Sunisshiningandsoareyou July 1st, 2025

@abdessamadelmadri98

I love this post! Asking questions not merely to get an answer but to actually see the person who’s responding and understand where they are coming from! 

It’s introspective questions like these that can truly help one get to know someone a lot better, without them feeling like they are put under a spot or are being “interrogated” hehe! 

Thanks for sharing! 💛

User Profile: sadcat13
sadcat13 July 10th, 2025

@abdessamadelmadri98 Okay this is genuienly a masterpiece! The queston about the movie? I´m stunned. What does it say about me if i chose the last scene?

User Profile: sadcat13
sadcat13 July 10th, 2025
You all need to check out this absolute masterpiece @tinywhisper11 @Kristynsmama @LoveMyMoonflowers @jesusredeemedme2425 @mytwistedsoul @YourCaringConfidant @PineTreeTree @iloveyouxx 
1 reply
User Profile: jesusredeemedme2425
jesusredeemedme2425 July 11th, 2025

Love this! <3

load more
User Profile: Tinywhisper11
Tinywhisper11 July 11th, 2025

@abdessamadelmadri98 👏👏👏 well said 💖 that's why I love the icebreakers we have here 💖

User Profile: Kaleigh3067
Kaleigh3067 July 12th, 2025

@abdessamadelmadri98 This is such a great post! I'm personally very bad at the art of conversation, and I think the examples you gave are absolutely brilliant. I will try these questions in future speaking with others. Thank you for this intellectually stimulating post.