Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I have Dermotillomania. AMA.

User Profile: prekteach
prekteach October 12th, 2014

Hi, everyone. I've been struggling with dermotillomania for most of my life. Last year, I had it officially diagnosed and have since started to realize how common it is. I would love to get awareness of this disorder out in the public eye so others can come forward and stop being ashamed. Ask me anything!

24
User Profile: Kristynsmama
Kristynsmama October 27th, 2014

I am not familiar with this diagnosis. Can you share more about it so those of us that don't know about it can understand more?

~Angel

User Profile: prekteach
prekteach OP November 29th, 2014

Really sorry for the late replies, guys! I haven't logged in in a while.

*Trigger warning, but I don't want to get too graphic*

Dermotillomania is a form of OCD. Think of "typical" OCD: everything has to be in the right place, nothing can be out of order. Now, apply that to skin. The overall surface of the skin has to be perfect, with no blemishes. This results in "seeking" behaviors. In high school, I'd spend an hour in front of the mirror, looking for imperfections and trying to fix them. Now, it's a little better, but I have lots of scars. I'm pretty sure I can't tan on my shoulders anymore. Yet, even knowing this, the temptation is there.

load more
User Profile: Barush
Barush October 27th, 2014

I can definitely relate, as I suffer from the same thing.

Do people comment on your skin picking, if they see it?

Is there anything that helps you to reduce the urges to skin pick?

User Profile: prekteach
prekteach OP November 29th, 2014

Barush, just keeping my hands busy helps. I've had to actively identify my triggers and times of day when I tend to pick and in those times, I try to consciously think about something else. What I'm going to do that day, even what I need to do next. I have fidget toys (small toys with moving parts, stress balls) and crochet by my computer, so I can play with those if I'm feeling restless.

I don't let anyone see me pick. Sometimes I'll get stressed at work and work on my arms, but I'm very conscious of who's around me and how much I can get away with. My husband knows and he'll stop me when he sees it.

In high school, people commented on the scratches on my arms and I'd make up stories to try to explain them away.

load more
User Profile: DeadlyAlone
DeadlyAlone November 19th, 2014

What is 'dermotillomania'? :)

User Profile: prekteach
prekteach OP November 29th, 2014

Here's a list of myths surrounding dermatillomania:https://www.skinpickingsupport.com/2013/01/09/12-dermatillomania-myths-dispelled/

load more
User Profile: MirandaD
MirandaD November 30th, 2014

Hi Prekteach!

I also suffer from Dermatillomania, but also Dermatillophagia (I eat my skin).

I've found limiting my time near mirrors, covering problem spots with bandaids, putting away all picking tools, and moisturizing my ezcema all help a lot.

I still have a lot of scars on the nape of my neck, and I still pick from time to time, but believe me, it's very possible to get through this! <3

User Profile: prekteach
prekteach OP November 30th, 2014

That's encouraging to hear! Thanks!

February 6th, 2015

Oh okay so that's what it is! I eat the skin around my fingernails, rips of my fingers hands and arms.

load more
User Profile: chaosborn
chaosborn January 2nd, 2015

Maybe now that I know there's a name for it, I won't do it anymore?

User Profile: misspenguin
misspenguin February 3rd, 2015

I have this too and om only just finding out how common it really is. I often feel like a complete freak for the fact that I can't seem to stop picking my skin and I also pick my fiance's skin. He is very patient and knows that it is a compulsion but it has to stop. I have recently started to apply lotion any time I start looking for something to pick on my arms and that has helped a little bit but I still do it. At least the lotion helps my skin to repair itself a little bit. I am very worried that my skin may be permanently scarred or that I will not be able to stsop ever. Now I have a wedding to get ready for a beautiful strapless dress that I plan on wearing so I have a very good reason to stop now. I have a year and a half for my arms to heal!

User Profile: compassionatePalm07
compassionatePalm07 February 6th, 2015

what does it exactly mean

February 6th, 2015

Hi, I know that deratellomania (sorry, probably spelled that wrong) is skin picking. Would skin biting (typically around NY finger nails and tips of my fingers) be the same thing?

User Profile: TeaAndWarmBlankets
TeaAndWarmBlankets February 6th, 2015

I um, suffer from it too. Tear the bottoms of my feet pretty bad. Sorry, it's a bit graphic but oftentimes the soles of my feet will be covered in raw skin or blood and I can't walk. It's embarrassing qnd hard to deal with.

User Profile: Kristynsmama
Kristynsmama May 10th, 2015

Now that you have described it, I guess I suffer too. I have psoriasis in my scalp and have flares of dry patches that I pick at. It drives my sister and mother crazy and they are constantly telling me to stop. I also bite my nails and the skin around my nails and pick at the bottom of my feet.