Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

#BellLetsTalk Day: I speak up about mental health because...

User Profile: Kate
Kate January 30th, 2019

Bell Let's Talk is a Canadian organization whose goal is to open up and normalize conversations about mental health in efforts to make mental illness a less stigmatizing thing to talk about.

Today is Bell Let's Talk Day!

Why do you speak up about mental health?

71
User Profile: crimsonRaspberries1323
crimsonRaspberries1323 January 30th, 2019

I speak out about mental health because Mental Health is the most vital kind of health!

User Profile: peacefullistener22
peacefullistener22 January 30th, 2019

@Kate How can other people know it's okay to speak out, unless you do yourself

User Profile: peacefullistener22
peacefullistener22 January 30th, 2019

@Kate How can other people know it's okay to speak out, unless you do yourself

User Profile: overtherainbow17
overtherainbow17 January 30th, 2019

Because it's okay to have emotions and feelings. But it's not okay to be going through all of everything you're going through alone.

I know the awful thoughts and feelings of addiction, suicide, sels-harm, PTSD, dealing with adoption, surgeries, being bullied and abused, and so similar. It's a terrible feeling to feel like no one cares, and you're on your own.

I share my story through a blog on instagram to inspire otherrs to reach out for help,and to show they're not alone.

Since I first started, I've had friends of fmaily members, or friends, or whomever, come to me for advice and support. And I am always willing to support anyone. No matter race, beliefs, relationships, class (middle class, etc.) diagnoses, and much more. That should never dictate how, and when you recvieve help.

I, and so many other volunteers and counselors here with 7 Cups aree here for you. Absolutely.

heart

1 reply
User Profile: peacefullistener22
peacefullistener22 January 31st, 2019

@overtherainbow17

I agree with you, it's okay to have feelings but you can't go through it alone.

I'm sorry that you've struggled with awful thoughts and feelings but I am always here for you alongside other listeners at 7Cups.

Well done for sharing your story in Instagram it's so inspiring, I really look up to you.

Thank you for all the support for everyone, we need more people like you

heart

load more
User Profile: ANGLEBUDDYS
ANGLEBUDDYS January 30th, 2019

i dont normally bring up menttal health though i do have meantal health issus

User Profile: Tyedyedbutterfly65
Tyedyedbutterfly65 January 30th, 2019

@Kate if we stay quiet and not stand up and talk about Mental Health then people will stay uneducated about it ... we can set and say nothing or stand up and do our very best to explain what it is about and what is like to deal with and the many different aspects of Mental Health and that the old stigma about Mental health is no longer accepted ..

Mental health is so wide range from anxiety, panic, depression, bi polar, agoraphobia and other phobias, and so much more and then all the symptoms that come with each one.. Anxiety and Panic has over 100 symptoms that we can feel.. 100! That is alot and add what goes along with the others that is even more because most people do not have one they have several mental health issues happening.. I know I sure do..

Please use your voice or anyway you possibly can to let people know what you are going through and maybe this will Help you as it did me .. will everyone understand no of course not and manyy may not wanna hear about it or believe you but at least we are having our say and bringing Mental Health into the Future !!

I know I will always deal with what I am but I know I can make it through with work and moral support and just helping others that need to know they aren't alone .heartsmiley

User Profile: Tinycupcake
Tinycupcake January 30th, 2019

I would like people to understand why I am the way I am

User Profile: crimsonSpruce612
crimsonSpruce612 January 30th, 2019

It's too important to not speak up. so many people are hurting and if speaking up can help them in any way, i feel like we should do it.

User Profile: BilasG
BilasG January 30th, 2019

Because bottling everything in will just make it hurt more.

User Profile: Keola
Keola January 31st, 2019

I speak about mental health to help educate others about Mental Health and what it is about. To stop the stigma and to have those with Mental illness know that they are not alone. Just because a person is a certain race or culture, that doesn't mean they don't or can't suffer with mental health. I want the public to know that a person's 'different' behavior or actions about an issue doesnt mean that that person is crazy or seeking attention, but because they have a serious condition that warrants a judgement-free attention, they need help, that they deserve to have patience and understanding. All of do not know what the other is feeling or experiencing. Our own health is unique to us but shared experience and knowledge can help us understand each other. ... I can go on and on about the why but this is basically why I speak up about Mental Health.