My First Casual Relationship Just Ended. I am Not Taking it Well. Advise Appreciated.
Hi everyone. This is my first time consulting others or writing my thoughts online, but I feel completely lost and alone. It's going to be a long one, but I hope people read this and can offer me some direction or some advice.
I met a girl two months ago at a farewell party for my friend. She was a friend of another friend, but I didn't end up talking to her that much. She and my friend, who was about to leave, talked a lot and seemed to grow closer. The day after, when my friend left the city, the three of us went to the beach as a last activity, and then we exchanged numbers.
After that, we began seeing each other in both group activities as well as one-on-one hangouts. In fact, we started spending way too much time together, probably 15-17 hours every day. She started inching closer every day, starting to nuzzle and cuddle up against me in public. At first, I didn't think it was anything other than familiarity; also, my friend who left had told me before that she was texting him in a flirtatious way. So I was genuinely under the impression that she and I were just friends, that she liked my friend, and that she was just being friendly with me.
But she slowly started love bombing me. She complimented me on little things. She began to say how the bracelet I gifted her smelled like me and how she felt like I was there with her. She wanted me there with her, etc. I was still hesitant to make any kind of move. But turns out I didn't have to. She kissed me one day and said she liked me. I was confused, firstly because I hadn't been with anyone for a long time, so I was in a daze, but also because I was under the impression she liked my friend. But she assured me that it was me she liked and proceeded to kiss me a thousand more times.
Things were going very well. We were like an excited, new, and eager couple. All sorts of PDA. I started spending entire days with her, mostly sleeping at her place, waking up and going to bed together. However, one day I asked her if she was my girlfriend at this point, because we had done almost everything a couple should do and more. But she said she didn't want a relationship right now, but still wanted to be only with me. At first, I was very sad about this, but I agreed to stay with her. I was okay with this not being a forever thing, but as a short-term thing, it didn't seem that bad.
I shouldn't have.
After that, surprisingly, we got even closer. Things were so great. She was the first woman to actually make me feel attractive, confident, and good about myself. And I returned the favour every day by doing the things she loved. It was supposed to be casual, but we were seeing each other way too much to be so. We did all the couple things, all the romantic stuff. And she played along and reciprocated.
At one point, we were living together for two weeks. We slept together, ate together, watched TV together, and went grocery shopping together. She was so impressed by my cooking and hospitality skills that she suggested we move in together long-term. Right now, after all that has passed, I don't know if she meant it. Or any of it.
It all came crashing down when she went on a two-week work/vacation trip. The first week, both of us kept in touch, and I helped her by always talking to her, trying to eliminate the anxiety she was feeling over work and everything else. The second week, her vacation week, she didn't talk to me much, and she was having fun, so I didn't bother her.
When she came back, she was distant. She arrived late at night and didn't have a place until the next day, so she crashed at mine. Things were strange after that. She refused to share the bed, and in the morning she turned away from my kisses. After the whole day, when she moved into her actual place, she called me over to talk.
At first, she said that things were getting too serious with us, so she had to end it. But after I kept on grilling her about why now, even though she had zero problems with how things were with us before her trip. She finally revealed that she met someone else, whom she liked better than me, and imagined a possible future with him, serious or non-serious. I was devastated. I felt like all that we did and experienced was a lie. Even though things were supposed to be casual, we did so much so fast. She seemed to be so smitten with me before, always clinging to me or holding my hands.
I am so lost now. I don't have any friends currently near me, but I'm trying my best to get past this. Things are over between us. She offered to be friends, but I was too hurt to even consider it. I knew things weren't meant to be forever, but I really thought she didn't want anyone else. But I should have expected this. My fault here.
I have never liked anyone more than her, not even my ex. She made me feel so uplifted. I wish it were any other reason she was ending things. This one is a bit hard to digest. I loved her so much and was prepared to let her go one day, but not like this. Not so suddenly. Now I feel inadequate, unattractive, and not good enough, because being with her was genuinely the best thing ever. I know it was a short thing, but we did so much so fast that it all felt too real. Her affection towards me felt real.
I am not doing well at all. Any advice is appreciated. I want to heal, but I can't seem to take the first step.
Sorry for the long rant.
@philosophicalShip8753
Gosh, I am so sorry to hear about this heartbreak. Even though the relationship was short-lived, it sounds like you lived many years in those short months with the pace of the relationship. I can understand being caught off-guard. I don't have any advice or suggestions, I just wanted to offer my empathy and express that I hope that you are able to move pass this and meet someone who will appreciate all the little moments.
Thank You. Means a lot :)
@philosophicalShip8753
You're welcome x
@philosophicalShip8753
Thanks for sharing! Your hurt because she took you on a whirlwind ride and then got rid of you with ease..
This whole story sounds like ya'll really got along. But she tossed you to the curb without hesitation..
Don't you realize you deserve better than that? I appreciate her for letting you know in advance it's temporary..
It's hard but you have to practice acceptance. It's hard, I know because she made you feel completely whole and loved.
Thanks for sharing 🌲
@philosophicalShip8753
This is a hard one to get over. I mean the point was supposed to be temporary, but things progressed at a fast pace and you felt different.
I think many cannot do casual to share such closeness, and intimacy is something we cannot turn off the emotions. Those who seem to do casual and move so quickly to new person will not or cannot connect deeper and miss the real closeness.
hi, i’m very sorry about what you’re going through. i’m currently kind of going through the same thing so you’re not alone. except i’ve been with mine for almost 3 years in a committed relationship. lately he’s told me he’s not sure if he wants to be in a relationship with me anymore but he still wants a future with me and still loves me. i get exactly how you feel, it’s going to be really hard but by the next few years you’ll look back and wonder why you said yes in the first place. all we have to remember is that it’s not the end of the world even though it might feel like it. there are some days where the pain is unbearable and there are some days where it doesn’t phase us at all. if she didn’t appreciate the love you were pouring into her then over time you will learn to pour your love into someone else that actually cares about you. keep yourself occupied too, i recommend hanging around friends or family or even trying new hobbies you’ve been putting off.
I am so sorry to hear that. I can only imagine what it’s like. I’ve been with other people before and then seperated, but I dont know why this time around it hurts even more, maybe the different circumstances or a different person. But i know i liked her more than anyone else before. She seemed special.
Thank you for your advice though! Appreciate it :)
@philosophicalShip8753. You said you are not taking it well. The most important thing is you need to first question self -whether you want your wellbeing. If your answer is yes you want , after that you need to remember that if that relationship was not supporting your well being, than simply desiring to get it back will only bring trouble again. So if you want your wellbeing you need to move on and start a fresh on a positive note..
I do want to get better, but I’m a really bad overthinker. I can it stop thinking about her, I would really love to though. She’s everywhere in my thoughts, in my dreams, and seems to stick to me like a shadow, an un easy feeling.
But i am willing to take the necessary steps to heal. I just need figure things out. Thanks for your advice.
@philosophicalShip8753 so true, when we are so close to some one we do think about them a lot. I know it can be draining mentally, but you can try to divert your mind to things you like doing, some hobby, and other passions of yours, which can help you connect with society and get back on track 👍
I am sorry to know you went through all this, but the point is as it’s assumed from your message that before also when you asked her to be your gf, she didn’t respond well, that was the signal already given to you but possibly it’s not your fault cause you were so attached to her. The point to remember is that if after being so close to you, she can so easily and mainly so soon find some one else, is good enough for you to understand that either she was looking for some one with whom she can vibe better than you OR her personality itself is so that she doesn’t want to give a strong foundation to a relationship hence easily moved out. So it’s better you move on, I can understand your pain but you pls understand that you need to take this as a learning lesson and to be careful in future. And yes just because some one hurt you so, doesn’t mean you are not good, you are good enough, believe in yourself, fall in love with your own self, acknowledge your positive traits and move on.. 👍
@Bharatbajaj23
Thank you so much for your words. I understand. All of it is clear to me: what happened and what needs to be done. But it's just so hard to accept it. She seemed so genuine with me, and it seemed like she really wanted to be with me. All the time we spent together seemed so real, so vivid. She became my everything for those short two months, and I feel like a part of me died when it ended, especially how it did.
But thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.
@philosophicalShip8753i I can understand what you must be through. But life is also about learning new lessons. So take this as a learning, as a training so that in future now you are more careful. Let me know if I can assist you again in future. God bless. All the best for a bright future👍
@philosophicalShip8753
Hey I hope you've felt even a little better today even if it's just one little step at a time because what you're feeling is completely valid and devastating and really difficult to be going through. I'm sorry you're going through this. There is no easy way for a relationship to end and you have every right to be grieving. I understand how you feel about being lost. Given it was a long time since you dated jumping into this relationship took a lot of courage. I can't see anything you could have done differently. I hope you have a good friends and family support network or at least someone you trust that you feel you can open up to and talk to whether that be on the phone or over a coffee. There are also so many other people in this world who love and appreciate you for who you are. I hope you will be kind to yourself and know you will always have people in your corner <3
@philosophicalShip8753 - Hey friend, I am very sorry to hear this! Even though you had a short time and i am sure you felt it was like a long duration and I can understand how challenging it might be ! If you want to talk about you can always talk to me! I don't have an advise but i can always listen ! I have gone through breakups too and I feel how you feel. Be kind to yourself and take care!