Not sure if he actually cheated, but I've been lied a few times...
Hi, everyone:
I came here for support. I recently found some strong evidence that my boyfriend may have been unfaithful--maybe not physically since there is no proof of that but definitely empotionally. I was in this relationship for six years. Weve been through a lot. We did distance for a bit and weve had our fights—but always came out stronger than ever. Unfortunately, things started to unravel last month—in a way that may be irreversible and unsalvageable.
Things had been going great in our relationship. Toward the end of 2019 were the best weeks and months of our time together. All of a sudden a bomb dropped—I found pictures of him on social media with a younger female colleague. They were taken at a race they did together out of town.
Rewind a bit—I know a lot of his colleagues. Its a small town and were kind of in the same field. So I actually knew her before they started working together. I told him months ago when I found out she joined his team, that I didnt like her. She had some manipulative behavior in a past organization we were in. He swore to me he didnt find her attractive and it was strictly plutonic. She joined last year and is in a junior position. He told me office gossip that she has all the men (especially senior management) wrapped around her finger. They often drop everything to cater to her needs (getting rid of the small of cigarettes in her office, etc.). She even WhatsApps them with her personal phone. Shes 20 years younger than my boyfriend and is by far much much younger than the male managers in their department. By the way, my boyfriend has kids from a previous marriage, and this colleague is just four years older than his eldest daughter.
He told me he was with guy friends at that race. He didnt mention her being there at all. I found out through her public Instagram posts that I came across a month after the event.
My boyfriend is turning 50 next month, and shes 30. He doesnt look like a 50 year old with three kids. Hes always been buff and really into fitness and working out. Shes this perky blonde who lives and breathes fitness and nutrition. Her Instagram is devoted to her body—lots of posts of her working out, half naked, and in the gym. If I had any personal insecurities, they multiplied by the tenfold. Here he is hanging out with someone who has similar interests to him and it happens to be something physical. I was gutted.
I was angry and hurt that he hid this from me. I dont know about you, but its kinda shady to take trips with other women, especially when youre already in a relationship.
I confronted him about this through text. He tried calling twice, but I was so emotional and enraged that I didnt speak to him. I just kept going off on him for days and weeks via text. He didnt block me. He just kept reading my messages but staying silent. What's puzzling is that he knows I'm upset and I'm finding more and more out about the two of them. He's not defending himself or trying to stop my anger and sadness.
Was this just an innocent race together? Was I making things bigger than they were? My mind started to race and is still racing—were they more than friends? Do they hang out more outside of the office? Are they actually seeing each other?
Fast forward to yesterday—I had lunch with other colleagues who work with him—friends of mine too. They were unaware of the whole story about the race. However, they delivered bad news—apparently he had gone to the office Christmas party with her. I had been to it with him before. Its a grand event. They were totally confused—they wondered where I was. So, they took some pics. Maybe they didnt come together, but what hurts is that he told me nothing. Its the type of event where you bring your significant others, etc. He didnt invite me. I was just at home while the party was going on. Even though we went together in the past, he did it for me and he never liked such gatherings and would prefer to stay home. But here he is all dressed up with her. Im not too active on social media, but I went back to her Instagram and found another pic of him with her at the party—a selfie with others. These friends I had lunch with also told me that his secretary (a lady who I also know) wondered if we were still together because she had been seeing a lot of the two of them together. If they are fooling around, would he be so stupid to flaunt this relationship at work and especially to people he knows I know?
My heart sank. Whatever was left of it, it felt completely shattered.
I felt humiliated that they told me, and that they had such negative feelings about the whole thing and now about him.
A part of me wants to believe they really are just good friends—because friends run races together and go to parties together. What HURTS most is his lying… why didnt he tell me about her being at the race and the Christmas party? Did he just want to protect me because he knew I didnt like her? But then why didnt he invite me to this party????
When youve known a person for so long and have entrusted every secret to him, you want to give him the benefit of the doubt. But sometimes one event, one instance can but a damper on everything.
Since Ive already been in crisis mode for the past few weeks, this new revelation about the party just adds salt to my wounds. Ive said my last words. Ive decided to block him in every form possible. He knows how much hes hurt me. All this time, we fought hard to make it work. I loved him. I dont know if theres an us anymore, but I know I have to take care of myself. If he really has been two-timing, I cant ignore that. I cant sugarcoat things and make excuses for him. Im a person that demands full loyalty, and I wont tolerate lying.
I dont know how to feel. I do know theres a lot of sadness and anger and regret.
Thank you for reading!
@Kadessa70
Wow, thanks for the long message just finished reading it. It seems like you could have some trust issues with him and kind of doubt him. I see you wrote this 2 days ago so perhaps something else has happened since you wrote it.
I hope that things work out between you. It seems like a relationship deal breaker for you is cheating and I guess you wouldnt take back someone who does that.
I guess when you see him with someone younger than he is and who seems nice physically youd have insecurities. I guess when you guys first got into a relationship you had your perks or the things that make you special so I hope you remember those. I guess I hope that you can feel better about yourself. I hope you made a decision and know what to do about it. I guess when you blocked him you needed space and time to think about things.
Well, if you ever need someone to talk to Im here!
@MonicaQu
Thank you for taking the time to read and thank you for your encouraging words.
Indeed lots happened in the past two days. I'm still tense and reeling from it all.
I found out through another of his colleagues that he had been out of state for a sporting event and had a serious injury some days ago. This prompted me to text him and express concern, say sorry, and also let him know I'm there if he needs. It then clicked in my mind that according to her Instagram, she was also in the same state in that same timeframe at a race. Coincidence? Maybe.
Anyway, he eventually reached out that night and said he wanted to talk but not by text. So, we had a phone call. He dodged talk about his injury. Essentially, he was very angry about the barrage of woeful texts and emails I had been sending him. He made excuses about the races a few months back, saying he told me about them. I said--yes you did, but you didn't tell me she'd be there. You traveled to a couple different states for these races, and you didn't tell me this. He acted like he wasn't entitled to tell me such things. First of all, he claimed he didn't have any relationship with her. He said, "What's wrong with having a friend? You don't do races or go to the gym (which is untrue--I've asked many times to accompany him even just to watch). Why can't I have a friend to be there?"
He totally dodged talk of the Christmas party too, which was a serious blow for me and in my book is still very sketchy. It was incredibly hurtful that he didn't tell me he was going to this big event, which I had been to before and would have liked to attend again. While I was home, thinking he was somewhere else, he was actually there with her. After I showed him the photos shared to me by colleagues/friends, he felt uncomfortable like he was being watched. But naturally, my friends were just looking out for me. I don't know why they waited two months to show me, but it slowed down the deterioration of our relationship, I guess.
He called me crazy, pointing to my reaction to the photos, but he didn't recognize his own fault in things--the lying and not being up front about her. He then said he didn't want to speak to me again.
I feel weird. I hate that this happened and it ended this way. I think even if I hadn't discovered the photos, there would still be this oddly close relationship they have that he'd probably continue behind my back. The reality of it still stands that he was spending lots of time outside the office with her and especially more time with her than me. If not anything physical, it's an emotional affair and not fair for me. If I meant anything to him and if he had any respect for me, he would've done things differently. In my book, even if there was nothing physical, their closeness is just unsettling. It still feels very much like cheating. You're keeping secrets from me and putting yourself in a compromising position with all this time with her.
In the end, I know I'm wrong and also sorry for the many emotional texts and emails I sent him. But the hurt from him is still there. Like I said, even if he says they're just friends, that's some weird behavior--to go to out of state races and parties without telling me.
Not contacting him of course. I think there's no looking back as I've never been so scarred like this before. A third party is one of the worst things you can deal with. I guess even worse is the intention there to cause you pain.