Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What are the things you've done that you never knew you could do?

User Profile: ASilentObserver
ASilentObserver July 26th, 2019

There are many to list but I think I never thought to join a mental health community but here I am. Definitely in good ways. 💕

63
User Profile: Zindagirockon
Zindagirockon July 28th, 2019

Went back to school after 10 years and graduated holding a diploma. My son says I'm his role model.

2 replies
User Profile: Lonewolf78
Lonewolf78 July 28th, 2019

@Zindagirockon

And that last part is worth 1 million diplomas.

Still, congrats on getting it.

1 reply
User Profile: Zindagirockon
Zindagirockon July 28th, 2019

@Lonewolf78 I know that melts my heart everyday. Being a single mom and getting this wonderful message from my baby makes my world lighten up !!

load more
load more
User Profile: rosemaryr9
rosemaryr9 July 28th, 2019

Day before yesterday, I finally had enough courage and support to move out of my emotionally abusive mother's house (which I actually own) and into my dad's house. In the past two years, I have only seen my dad once and that was because of a forced meeting that my mom set up. They divorced two years ago. He had been through 26 years of being married to her and later explained to me that he tried multiple times to get her to go to a relationship counselor, but she refused. In short, she manipulated me using my previously-neverending desire to gain her approval to make me turn against him. I feel bad for how I've ignored him and not replied to his cards or letters since then or allowed him to see me. What my mom did was really effed up... And while my life looked absolutely perfect from the outside, my reality has always been emotional turmoil.

But day before yesterday, I was able to FINALLY get free!!! I've always wanted to deep down, but I could never figure out why. I didn't realize what my mom was doing until I discovered the term "emotional blackmail" through the lukiest Google search of my life. As I read all the articles and e-books I could find, she fit the description 100% and my feelings related 100% to what victims of emotional blackmail experience. That's when I realized that I needed to calmly explain how I felt about her behavior and how it makes me feel, which I did. Not surprisingly, she denied everything. Continued in reply.

2 replies
User Profile: STRANGERbuddy121
STRANGERbuddy121 July 28th, 2019

@rosemaryr9

Glad to know that u had the courage to help urself & move outta it. 😍

User Profile: rosemaryr9
rosemaryr9 July 28th, 2019

She tried to gaslight me, saying that she had never said any of that and even if she had, she didn't see what was wrong with it. It didn't matter how it made me feel, she wouldn't change. The conversation ended with me asking her "So you aren't willing to put any effort into trying to have a more positive and respectful dialogue with me?" She answered no, and said that she didn't see anything that needed fixing. That was the moment that I have her my last chance. That's one thing that I know about myself. I'll put up with a ton of s*** that I shouldn't, and I am an extremely patient person (I'm a 23 year old female high school teacher, I've had my share of experiences that test my patience). But there comes a certain time when I give my very last chance and if it's not taken or at least acknowledged, then that's it. I'm done and there's no way I'm going back. That was the point I finally reached with my mother yesterday. I have given her every single chance I could to be a decent person, but she refuses to try and I'm done with it.

My dad and boyfriend are on my side (somehow she had convinced me that they wouldn't) and are going with me today to pack up the rest of my things today. My dad is amazing and is letting me stay in his house for as long as I want to. Finances are a compete mess because she always controlled everything, so I'll have to stay here for at least a few months, but it's such an amazing feeling to be accepted and loved unconditionally!

load more
User Profile: Singleblue
Singleblue July 28th, 2019

Cleared out the family house and moved to a smaller place. I managed this but I struggle with going to the garage with my car !!

User Profile: nyagaroxas
nyagaroxas July 28th, 2019

Become a cabin crew. A year ago I was submitting my curriculum vitae thinking "I'll never pass the interview, I'm too ugly to pass, and I'll never be able to handle all those people on a plane!"

Turns out I was one of the few that got their contract renewed...

User Profile: amiableLand5034
amiableLand5034 July 28th, 2019

Got into the college which i never even imagined that i would get admission in it

User Profile: Beautybunny123
Beautybunny123 August 10th, 2019

I never thought Id be happy alone I always needed someones opinion but now that I am alone Im so happy because I realized I still have loving friends and family there for me through the ups and downs.

User Profile: Zulegirl
Zulegirl August 10th, 2019

Love myself as much as I do