Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Are there any other Muslims here who struggle with severe religious anxiety or OCD thoughts related to religion? :(

User Profile: ayesha10
ayesha10 May 20th

I genuinely want to strengthen my imaan deeply, which is why this hurts so much. My mind constantly spirals over whether I am sinful, whether my intentions are wrong, whether Allah is disappointed in me, whether certain thoughts make me a bad person/Muslim, whether I am being punished, whether I am doing enough, etc. The thoughts become obsessive and exhausting and it feels like my brain cannot rest.

I also grew up in an environment where religion was heavily tied to fear, guilt, shame, and fearmongering rather than emotional safety or peace. A lot of things were framed in terrifying ways growing up, so now my anxiety attaches itself to religion very easily. Instead of feeling comfort, I often feel panic, dread, guilt, and fear that I am failing Allah somehow.

My mental health in general is already really bad due to years of trauma, anxiety, depression, emotional abuse, relationship/friendship trauma, and an unstable home environment. I am at a point where I struggle to even do basic things consistently sometimes like showering, eating properly, replying to people, cleaning, or functioning normally. So prayer becomes emotionally complicated too because people assume it is simple laziness when in reality I often feel physically and mentally frozen.

I want to pray and I want closeness to Allah. But when you are barely surviving mentally, even getting up feels overwhelming sometimes. Then the guilt of not praying makes the anxiety even worse, which creates an awful cycle.

Recently my parents even started thinking I might be cursed or spiritually affected because of how badly I have been struggling mentally and emotionally, which honestly made things worse for me because now my brain obsesses over that too. Sometimes I cannot tell what is genuine faith anymore versus what is anxiety, trauma, fear, or OCD thoughts.

I feel very alone in this because a lot of people respond harshly or make the fear worse instead of understanding the psychological side of it. I just wanted to know if any other Muslims experience this and how you cope with it in a healthy way without burning yourself out emotionally.

3
User Profile: NiceThinker
NiceThinker May 20th

@ayesha10

I read your post and my heart really felt for you. 😔 It sounds so exhausting and painful. You genuinely want to get closer to Allah and strengthen your imaan, but your mind keeps spiraling with obsessive fears—Am I sinful? Is Allah disappointed? Am I doing enough? — and it doesn’t let you rest.

Growing up with fear, guilt, and shame around religion must have made it even harder. Now when even basic things like showering or getting up feel overwhelming, the guilt about prayer creates that terrible cycle. And your parents thinking you might be “cursed”… that must have hurt deeply.

You’re not alone in this. What you’re going through is really heavy.

I’m here to listen if you want to share more. No judgment, no quick advice — just someone who will hear you as you are.

Take your time. ❤️

User Profile: hopedreamlove
hopedreamlove June 20th

@ayesha10

Salam Ayesha,

Thank you so much for sharing. I hear how difficult and exhausting it must be when you are struggling so deeply with your mental health, and then religion is used as a source of fear and shame. I grew up in a similar environment where Islam was used as a weapon. This makes it harder to find your deen and strengthen imaan. 

I relate to struggling with prayers, especially when basic tasks become difficult to complete. One thing I try to remember is that taking just one step is still progress. It can be very overwhelming when thinking about completing five daily prayers. Sometimes, just doing whatever you can can help. Whether that means doing one prayer, making dua, reading/listening to a small portion of the Quran. 

You are not alone. Please feel free to send me a message if you would ever like to chat.

@ayesha10

Reading your message, I do not see someone running away from Allah. I see someone exhausted, wounded, and desperately trying to reach Him.

The fact that you worry about your faith, your intentions, your prayers, and your relationship with Allah is not proof that you do not care. In many cases, it is proof that you care deeply.

What struck me most was that throughout your entire message, you repeatedly said things like: “I want to strengthen my iman,” “I want to pray,” and “I want closeness to Allah.” Those are not the words of someone who has abandoned faith. They are the words of someone struggling, but still turning toward Allah.

One thing that may help is remembering that not every thought that enters the mind reflects who you are. In the Risale-i Nur, Said Nursi explains that unwanted thoughts, doubts, and intrusive ideas are not the same as beliefs accepted by the heart. A person is not judged for thoughts that disturb them and that they do not willingly embrace. In fact, being distressed by such thoughts can itself be a sign that they do not represent your true convictions.

I was also reminded of a famous incident involving the companion Hanzala (ra). One day he became so worried about changes in his spiritual state that he feared he had become a hypocrite. When he was with the Prophet Muhammad(PBUH), his faith felt vivid and powerful. But when he returned to daily life, family responsibilities, and ordinary concerns, he could not maintain that same intensity and became frightened by this difference.

When he brought this concern to the Prophet Muhammad(PBUH),  the Prophet did not condemn him. Instead, he reassured him that this fluctuation is part of being human. He explained that if believers remained constantly in their highest spiritual state, they would be like angels. Human beings naturally move between moments of spiritual elevation and the ordinary realities of life.

I think many sincere believers forget this. We sometimes expect ourselves to feel spiritually strong all the time, and when we do not, we assume something is terribly wrong. But faith is not measured only by spiritual highs. Sometimes faith is simply continuing to turn toward Allah even when you feel weak, tired, confused, or overwhelmed.

You mentioned that religion was often presented to you through fear, guilt, and shame. That can leave deep scars. Yet when Allah introduces Himself in the Qur'an, He repeatedly introduces Himself as the Most Merciful and the Most Compassionate. The One who created your heart knows every wound it carries.

From the perspective of Said Nursi, one of Satan's most effective tricks is not always to push people into sin, but to push them into despair. He tries to make a person focus so intensely on their shortcomings that they lose sight of Allah's mercy. Constant self-accusation, hopelessness, and the feeling that Allah must be disappointed in you are not reliable measures of your spiritual state.

Your struggles with anxiety, trauma, depression, emotional pain, and exhaustion are real struggles. Allah knows the burdens that other people cannot see. If getting out of bed, eating properly, replying to messages, or completing basic daily tasks sometimes feels overwhelming, Allah is fully aware of that reality. He is not unaware of the battles taking place inside your mind.

Please do not measure your worth solely by what you can accomplish on your hardest days. Allah sees the effort behind every small step. Sometimes what looks small to us is very significant in His sight.

If you are interested, I would strongly recommend reading Said Nursi's discussion on waswasa (intrusive doubts and obsessive thoughts) in "The Words", especially the Second Station of the Twenty-First Word. Many people have found comfort in his explanation that disturbing thoughts entering the mind do not define a person's faith, character, or relationship with Allah.

You are not alone in experiencing these struggles. Many sincere Muslims have wrestled with anxiety, intrusive thoughts, fear, and spiritual uncertainty. The fact that you are seeking Allah despite all of this is itself meaningful.

Perhaps, at this moment, Allah is not asking you to be perfect. Perhaps He is inviting you simply to keep turning toward Him, one step at a time.

The door of His mercy is far wider than the fears inside your mind.