Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

January 10 - Animal icons live across the site: Forums, chatrooms, profiles & usercards!

User Profile: Laura
Laura January 10th, 2018

January 10 - Animal icons live across the site: Forums, chatrooms, profiles & usercards! Yay, they are so cute!

Learn more about this update here!

Find your join month animal assigment below!

January - Dolphin - get to know other dophins here

February - Penguin - Get to know other penguins here

March - Horse - Get to know other Horses here

April - Camel - get to know other camels here

May - Elephant - get to know other elephants here

June - Kangaroo - get to know other Kangaroos here

July - Star fish - get to know other starfish here

August - Fish - get to know other Fish here

Sept - Bunny - get to know other Bunnies here

Oct - Eagle - get to know other Eagles here

Nov - Butterfly - get to know other Butterflies here

Dec - Turtle - get to know other turtles here

256
User Profile: UnlearningToBeMyself
UnlearningToBeMyself January 10th, 2018

It seems a bit arbitrary and visually distracting; I'm sure I'll get used to it right aways, but it seems unnecessary.

3 replies
User Profile: UnlearningToBeMyself
UnlearningToBeMyself January 10th, 2018

@Laura

Just some CSS styling suggestions for the forum icons:
I think that the animal icons look better when their bottoms are more closely aligned with the bottom of the username text rather than going below, and that there could be more visual space between the username and the icon.

These are some styling suggestions to consider:
.forumPost img {
vertical-align: top;
padding-left: 5px;
}

And on the img element itself, since its height is inline, to make them slightly smaller:
height: .8em;

I also suggest making the colours more muted (or even consider discarding colour coding and making them all a muted colour).

2 replies
User Profile: UnlearningToBeMyself
UnlearningToBeMyself January 10th, 2018

@Laura Sorry, the CSS class example above should be .forumPostHead, not .forumPost.

1 reply
User Profile: Diandra
Diandra January 10th, 2018

@UnlearningToBeMyself

I really love how you proposed a solution and gave suggestions along with it, even including a way to carry out said solution.

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: TheMusicGirl
TheMusicGirl January 10th, 2018

i think we are giving a hard time .....i dont like the kangaroo either but maybe we can u know give it a try maybe its just been like 2 hrs and all of us are complaining about it.afterall she did put work into it..juz think the total numeber of ppl in this site?

1 reply
User Profile: Laura
Laura OP January 10th, 2018

@TheMusicGirl

load more
User Profile: BridgetAileen
BridgetAileen January 10th, 2018

I like it. heart
I think that if it was something I'm not interested in, it would be easy enough to ignore. There are plenty of things here at 7 Cups that I never use, but I realize that others do. wink
Will this make a huge diffference in what I do here at 7 Cups? Probably not. But it's fun. I like a bit of fun. yes

2 replies
User Profile: Laura
Laura OP January 10th, 2018

@BridgetAileen

All praise the penguins

User Profile: dancingStrawberry34
dancingStrawberry34 January 10th, 2018

@BridgetAileen

penguin buddies!!!! :D

load more
User Profile: hypnosis
hypnosis January 10th, 2018

no I don't like this idea. I don't want a horse next to my name! I would have been happy if it were a butterfly or a turtle. I hope there will be an option to opt out in the future or at least change the animal.

User Profile: fuzzyizmit
fuzzyizmit January 10th, 2018

This is stupid and meaningless. plus offensive to some. Why waste your time designing stuff like this when the forums or chat could be improved?

3 replies
User Profile: BridgetAileen
BridgetAileen January 10th, 2018

@fuzzyizmit, see, chat is something I only use for discussions. I see no other reason to have it. But there are many who disagree with me. So there may be some people who like the animal badges. They're not hurting anything, just like the open chat rooms are useful to some. However, many people do get hurt in the chatrooms. So there's that. I honestly don't see how these little icons can be offensive? I can see that people may not like them, but not that they can be offensive. There's a difference. smiley

2 replies
User Profile: fuzzyizmit
fuzzyizmit January 10th, 2018

@BridgetAileen Read the previous posts by a person who religion actually has animal as an very important personal symbol. So yes, it can be insulting to some.

User Profile: BridgetAileen
BridgetAileen January 10th, 2018

I do see that someone said that it was offensive religiiously and culturally, although I'm not sure exactly why that is. My lack of knowlegde in that religion and culture is showing, it seems. But I'm not even sure what they are, so I can't research it to better understand. frown

load more
load more
User Profile: hypnosis
hypnosis January 10th, 2018

I apologize for that sounding so negative. I understand 7cups is trying something new and finding ways to bring people together. Not a fan of the idea though.

2 replies
User Profile: BridgetAileen
BridgetAileen January 10th, 2018

@hypnosis, I really didn't think you sounded all that negative. Everyone has different prefernences, and you merely stated yours. smiley

January 10th, 2018

@hypnosis

Apology accepted.

load more
User Profile: MeaningfulSilence
MeaningfulSilence January 10th, 2018

@Laura

Another butterfly friend here!!

Hi everyone!

User Profile: Diandra
Diandra January 10th, 2018

I think it's cute. Some people are being brought together by it, which is obviously the goal. As you said, @Laura, finding people who started their journey at similar times can help us to come together more and find guidance. Not to mention it'll be easier to notice cupsiversaries from chatrooms wink

Perhaps the only change would be an opt-out feature and/or a forums-only view. I personally like it in both areas after seeing it for awhile and getting used to it. While it may not have been necessary, it isn't like it was something that took up a massive amount of time to implement. Just something added to an update that was already happening. It is what it is. c:

User Profile: FromAllTheMedicine
FromAllTheMedicine January 10th, 2018

ah cool

User Profile: PleaseHelpMe789
PleaseHelpMe789 January 10th, 2018

I hate this so, so much. It's just not needed! In the post, it says "when people come to 7 Cups we want them to feel included". This update has done the EXACT opposite! I've seen so many people in rooms saying "yey we're all xyz". But what about the people who aren't!? This system is based completely on timing, which is stupid on its own. The amount of people who feel left out from not having a specific icon is insane. All it's doing is creating more cliques, and making the other ones that we already had stronger. It's stupid!

My second problem with this; again, why do we need it? Why don't we fix the actual problems with this site? For example, the explicit abuse towards our female listeners, the mods who abuse their power, and all the other ideas, that were actually good that we never got that could have positively impacted us, as members? For example, the campfire chat! Great idea! Helping members get support BEFORE they even get support! But no, we never get a follow-up, the idea is entirely scrapped.

My third problem; it's flat out offensive to some people! The elephant idea. I mean, come on! This is a support site, and one of the topics here is eating disorders. Yeh, that'll help with eating disorders!

And finally, my biggest problem - this thread. Countless amounts of us have said our opinion, and how much we hate it. Yet still, we get no opt-out option, even though @Kate directly saying, when the idea was suggested, "good point about opt-out being an option!". Where is that option!? And yet still, you ask for feedback, and what we say goes down the drain. This will not change - it will stay here, just like every other idea we hate. But what can we do? We can't. And the amount of backlash is showing how we hate it - so tell me, when will we actually get answers to these problems, and see change that will positively impact the site again?

1 reply
January 11th, 2018

@PleaseHelpMe789 I am not attacking or being rude to anyone, but from past few months I have noticed this:-

Step1:- The community team asks for feedback before implementing

Step2:- They IGNORE our feedbacks and implement the original plan right away for a certain period (like a month or week) just to notice our reactions, which hurt and may trigger some of the volunteers.

Step3:- They finally realise they did wrong, and make certain FANCY changes again.


Whats the need of all this?

load more