🖤 Grieving the Old You While Becoming the New You
One thing I didn’t expect in recovery was how grief would show up.
Not grief over losing people… but grief over losing parts of myself—or at least the identity I clung to in addiction.
There’s a weird ache that comes with choosing healing. Suddenly, you're not the same person who used to survive chaos like it was second nature. You're not the one staying out until 4 a.m. or calling the dealer or disappearing for days. You're not the one people warned others about. And for a while… you don’t quite know who you are now, either.
And honestly? That limbo is heavy.
There were days I missed the old me—not because I wanted to go back, but because she was familiar. I knew how to be her. I knew how to numb. I knew how to destroy. I didn’t know how to feel and stay and grow and try again without a fix.
But the grief over the old me? It’s part of the process. It doesn’t mean I’m failing. It means I’m healing.
Here’s what helped me and might help you too:
🌱 1. Write a “goodbye” letter to the version of you that used.
Tell them what they taught you. Thank them for surviving. Forgive them for the wreckage. Let them go with love, not shame.
🪞 2. Get to know the new you in small ways.
Try something you never would’ve done in addiction. Wear a color you never wore. Eat a meal sober and actually taste it. It’s okay to start small—little by little, you’re meeting the you that was buried under the pain.
📣 3. Share your story without minimizing it.
You’re not “too much.” You’re not “too broken.” Someone out there needs your honesty to believe they’re not alone in theirs.
🧠 4. When grief shows up, name it.
“This isn’t weakness—this is grief.” Say it out loud. Because naming it takes away the shame and gives it somewhere to land.
🕊️ 5. Remind yourself: The goal was never to become someone perfect. The goal was to become someone real.
You don’t have to erase your past to move forward—you just have to stop living there.
Healing is messy. Identity shifts are confusing. But I promise you—every tear, every late-night craving, every moment you choose recovery over regret—it’s not wasted.
You are not just recovering. You are becoming.
And that’s worth grieving, and celebrating too.
With you always,
💛 Someone still figuring it out, too
Kayla 💕🌈
Thank you Kayla this is really helpful I’m struggling with this right now it’s so much easier to go back to the old me than becoming the new me 😞
Thank you so much for sharing this Kayla! I really appreciate this so much because I am 18 days sober from alcohol and realized who am I really??!! This was both shocking and disturbing at the same time. Reading this helps me understand I am not alone feeling this way ❤️
I was lucky enough to be stopped by those around me before my addiction became serious. The reason I started to go down that rabbit hole was because I’ve no idea how deal with my emotions and what I feel but now all that’s left is those emotions and an urge to go back down that rabbit hole because I’ve no way of processing them and so now it’s just a constant cycle of trying not to go back to that person and breaking down.
This hits home hard. It really does. I appreciate the steps. They are all ones I knew I needed to take, but seeing them listed somehow makes it seem more attainable. Like you are a workout coach. I do grieve. I wish I didn't but I do. It is hard not to. It becomes a part of you. How can't you? I am going to do this. And I hope it helps heal.