Faith and Mental Health
Tell me. How does Christian faith relate to mental health?
Like, if I have mental health issues, is that a failure of my faith? Am I a worse Christian? Am I a Christian at all? How does it work? If I have autism, that would make me more selfish, so how can I still be a good Christian?
@GreenLime3141
I love the question. Thank you for asking. The weight I carry is different from yours. But it weighs on me as your makes fatigued. I am reminded in your question that the same was asked of Jesus when his disciples pointed to a blind man. They asked, who sinned--this person, or his parents? In essence, who is to blame for this? There must be a reason for human suffering, for physical limitations, for early death.
Jesus' response is that no one did wrong here--but his blindness and my inadaquacy, my limitation, my mental illness, my kidney disease exist "so that the works of God might be displayed in him. (john 9:1-5). Life was hard for this man...no doubt its hard for you...it is hard for me. Life pain comes to us all. To me it is an inspiring question--can I--through the power of God's Spirit--do hard life well? I wish to live in joy--as today will be hard. To be content tomorrow, as tomorrow will be hard again.To me, that is the role of the Christian faith on my mental health. Bring on hard so that the power of God can be experienced and displayed.
@GreenLime3141
It just means you need to get closer to God... Try to pray and read the Bible more often. You'll feel better!😊👍
@Positivepotato2009 As someone who deals with multiple mental disorders and is a Christian, I do think getting closer to God is part of the puzzle of getting better, although it is not the only part. I have a diagnosed generalized anxiety disorder and a few mental disorders as well. In some cases I have been able to pray or listen to Christian music or read the Bible and be given what feels like an odd peace. But, this does not always happen, and when my meds are messed up, because I'm sick or forgot to take them, I can tend to panic to a point where nothing but crying is about to happen, other than maybe panic attack-y symptoms like feeling like I can not breath. As a result of a fallen world, we have things like anxiety disorders, autism, tourettes syndrome, OCD, ADHD, Alzheimer's, the list can and does go on and on. These things are not any less real than something like diabetes, or a broken bone.
@GreenLime3141 Things that have helped me through figuring everything out. Finding a mentor who is a Christian and understands my disorder. I had a lady, who dealt with bad anxiety throughout Highschool and college, and she helped me understand that when the Bible tells us do not worry, its almost always attached to a promise or a description of how big and wonderful our God is. Therapy, if possible through a Christian therapist, although, if they are not knowledgable of your disorder, sometimes a "secular" for lack of a better word therapist, or even psychologist can be very helpful. Meds. Meds have been instrumental in me being able to live a normal life. I also have a disorder that makes me tic, and being medicated for that means I am not causing myself pain all the time by hitting myself because of motor tics. If you are in school or college, necessary accommodations can be incredibly helpful.
@GreenLime3141 nahhh. Faith is not a competition, and people who think less of you for not being okay mentally need to check their own faith, because I'm certain it does not instruct us to bully people who did nothing wrong. You wouldn't call yourself a worse Christian because you got the flu. And the thing is, we don't choose mental illness either. That's why it is called an illness. And even if we have our own portion of guilt on our situation sometimes, it is absolutely not something we did to defy God. He is love. And he knows how being human is very hard and complicated. He loves us just as we are, and wants us to come to him with all our hardship, no matter how imperfect. The only thing that matters is that we love him, want to seek him and try our best to be good people.
As for the autism, come on. We all have our different set of strengths and weaknesses. And so do you. Just because you don't fit in the typical mold doesn't mean there is something wrong with you or your faith. And needing a little more time for yourself or a little accomodation is not a problem either. God has a place for you in his plan, tailored specifically for you. Don't try to fit yourself to someone elses calling. You have your own. Even if it is a little different. Noone gets to judge your fate, except God himself. He knows your heart. And he knows you are doing your best.
@sadcat13
Thank you so much, Sad Cat!
@GreenLime3141 ❤️❤️❤️
@GreenLime3141
Disclaimer: I am a behavior technician who works with people with autism. I may be biased 🧩 😉 in a good way!!!
Autism would not make you less of a Christian. God created each one of us, and He sees our hearts. He knows our intentions. We need to see God reflected through a variety of people from different backgrounds, diversAbilities, and walks of life. Only then can we fully understand Him. We all sin and fall short of his glory and all are in need of a Savior. One person doesn't need Him more than another.
@GreenLime3141 For me despite da bad times as bad as it may get I know no matter what happens-people c’n come out my life at any given moment an yet despite it God is da one person who will never leave. There was a time when my months old daughters doctors swore she would not make it. There was also I time I didnt care if he even existed I just was in my own world but he saved me. My ex strangled me yet I am alive today an many years later my ex ended up passing from a horrible illness.
@GreenLime3141 having a mental health disorder or any health disorder of any kind I promise you is not due to lack of faith in God. We cannot help the way we are born. Mental health issues can bring you closer to God. There are those out there who teach and believe mental health problems result from a lack of faith in God, but they really have not read scripture. You can still be a good Christian. Follow Christ's teaching which none of us are ever going to get perfect. We mess up and that is ok because we're human. The thing to do is just keep trying to do better every time. I was raised in a church that taught this false hood, so I know what it is like very well to have this thought. Since the 1970s though many churches stopped believing that. It would be the same as believing having to wear eyeglasses is due to lack of faith or having heart disease and most do not say that. I have a lot of education and experience in this area and there's a ton I could share on the matter, but I won't take up all the space. Please feel free to send me a message anytime if you would like to chat about this further. There is a lot of proof that mental health issues or any health problem are due to a lack of faith, and it all begins from the start of the Bible. Also, Luke, as in the Book of Luke, was a doctor.
@GreenLime3141
That sounds like something that’s been really heavy on your mind, and I can hear how much you’re wrestling with these questions. Many people struggle with how their faith and mental health fit together, and it can feel confusing or even scary. Having mental health challenges doesn’t make you a failure or less worthy, and it definitely doesn’t erase your value.
I’m here to listen — what part of this feels the most difficult for you right now?
I do wonder if I am possessed by demons, even though I enjoy listening to worship music, and I read the Bible and Christian books. I do feel like one demon has been cast out so far, but I feel like there are more inside. That’s probably what feels the most difficult right now.
@GreenLime3141 Hi! I actually think this is super interesting, and I’ve thought about it before
if I have mental health issues, is that a failure of my faith?
no, I don’t think so. Everyone was out through trials, even Jesus. The Wilderness is a metaphor for all the rough parts of life, everything you don’t want to face, but have to. One thing I learned in church is: struggling with sin (all things bad) isn’t failure- it’s a sign that you’ve joined the fight. Actively struggling means that you’re pushing back, and progress is coming, even if it’s hard to notice.
Am I a worse Christian?
Nope! God holds all of us the same. We are all His children, and He cares for all of us, no matter what cards we’ve been dealt, or how we’re handling them.
Am I a Christian at all?
if you believe in your heart and comes with your tongue that Jesus is Lord? Yep, that’s all it takes.
How does it work?
depends what part. Your Christianity is always the same, no matter what you’re going through. Christ is a gift: you don’t get “grounded” from Jesus when you’re going through a rough time or even handling it poorly.
If I have autism, that would make me more selfish, so how can I still be a good Christian?
that’s interesting. While in theory, it would be great to not even have a sinful thought, God knows that we’re human. We caused the original sin, and now we’ll never be perfect on our own, no matter how much we try. It’s ok to slip up, there’s no shame in sinning, because we’ve been redeemed. That doesn’t mean that you should try to sin, or become numb to it, but it does mean that God still loves you the same, no matter what. You’re a good Christian if you believe and confess that Jesus is Lord.
Hope that helped, or even just offered a new perspective!
@GreenLime3141 Although my issue is different from yours I carry the burden of being an epileptic but in faith and prayer I turn to God to carry me when I cant and so far he hasnt left my side. He has always been here for me.
@GreenLime3141 Wonderful question