Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

AMA event Thread! Live AMA with 7 Cups therapist @HannahCaradonnnaMSW! Live Conversation will happen in this thread on 2/17!!

User Profile: Laura
Laura February 14th, 2017

Review the event announcement, presubmit questions and RSVP here!

Report back to this thread on Friday 2/17 at 12:00 PM EST for the live chat!

124
User Profile: AnyaS
AnyaS February 17th, 2017

Is a trial for teen therapy going to be a possibility sometime in the near future, while only involving the teen and the therapist? I know there are payment concerns and safety too, but how what about the 16+ medical care thing where the parents don't have to know?

@Laura @HannahCaradonnnaMSW

User Profile: Laura
Laura OP February 17th, 2017

@Sarra

Not sure. we will keep you posted on this as developments arise. Ideally it would be great to be able to offer therapy to teens via 7 cups services. But we need to make sure we do it in a safe way. Stay tuned

User Profile: AnyaS
AnyaS February 17th, 2017

Sounds good! Safety is definitely important and sometimes finding a balance between confidentiality and safety can prove to be a challenge, but together, on 7 cups, we can always find solutions to make things easier! Will definitely stay tuned for more updates on this! Thanks! @Laura

load more
User Profile: HannahCaradonnnaMSW
HannahCaradonnnaMSW February 17th, 2017

@Sarra

That's not a question that I can answer but I think it would have to be consented by parents and that does make it difficult. If you need therapy, you can access that in other ways either at school or through agencies in town.

User Profile: AnyaS
AnyaS February 17th, 2017

Sorry, I realized after that question was more directed at Laura haha, thanks though! <3 @HannahCaradonnnaMSW

load more
load more
User Profile: emotionalMaple9419
emotionalMaple9419 February 17th, 2017

Hi Hannah, I am new to the written therapy concept here at 7cups. My question is: can you give me some pointers on how best to communicate in this written style with a therapist? I am not the best at expressing myself in written words and I do not have the benefit of using my body langage in written form. Creative writing was never a strong subject for me when I was in college. I suffer from complex ptsd and have feelings of emptiness, shame, overwhelm and despair most of my day and it would be great to feel a sense of aliveness and knowing I am really getting somewhere through this new avenue of writing. I am also new to chats as well. I have never really connected using social media before. Thanks for help in advance for anything you can offer. Your help here is very appreciated in helping us lost souls....

User Profile: Laura
Laura OP February 17th, 2017

@emotionalMaple9419

great question

User Profile: HannahCaradonnnaMSW
HannahCaradonnnaMSW February 17th, 2017

@emotionalMaple9419

Thanks for your question. Yes, you are absolutely right that we have to communicate everything in writing and don't get the benefit of body language. We have to ask each other lots of questions about the process (the "how are you feeling" type questions) to understand how things are impacting you. If you haven't tried online therapy yet, you will get guidance from the therapist and they prompt you with questions and you just respond. It can also be hlepful, if the therapist is willing, to have a IM style conversation to get the ball-rolling.

load more
User Profile: cyanPlatypus6370
cyanPlatypus6370 February 17th, 2017

@HannahCaradonnnaMSW ... Hi Hannah, One of my questions:

My counselor is about to retire (2nd week of March).
What recommendations do you have for someone who is meeting with a new counselor? (not on 7cups, but in person) How much am I allowed to ask about her, her family?
How do I know if we have a 'good fit' for counselor/client relationship? How long do I work with someone, weekly, before deciding if I need to try someone different?
Oh, and, what do I do with feelings of abandonment? Technically, she's not abandoning me, she's retiring. But it feels like abandonment sad.png

Yeah, lots in "one question."

Thanks, Platy

User Profile: HannahCaradonnnaMSW
HannahCaradonnnaMSW February 17th, 2017

@cyanPlatypus6370

I'm sorry to hear your therapist is retiring! That is really hard. And trust me, as a therapist, it is hard on us too. I think of old clients and wonder about them all the time so please know that you will be in your therapists heart.

For a new therapist, often the beginning of the work, is about coming to terms with it not being your old therapist :) So, don't aim to replace her. Aim to find someone totally different. Don't spend a lot of time on it. I offer people a 15 minute consultation and usually people have a "feel" right away whether they would feel comfortable working together.

User Profile: HannahCaradonnnaMSW
HannahCaradonnnaMSW February 17th, 2017

@cyanPlatypus6370

Re abandonment - talk to her about it! Tell her you feel that way. We have a tendency to handle goodbyes awkwardly in life but especially in therapy. So, express your feelings instead of acting on them. "I felt like cancelling our last appointment becasue I am sad." instead of actually cancelling the appt. Good luck!

load more
User Profile: Laura
Laura OP February 17th, 2017

Another pre-submitted:

How do I bring up the subject of s-e-x with my counselor? I really should tell her of this event that happened years ago (but while I was an adult). We've sort of talked about sexual things before, but very few times, if at all, sexual things related to me.

User Profile: HannahCaradonnnaMSW
HannahCaradonnnaMSW February 17th, 2017

@Laura

Sex is one of those things that the client doesn't bring up because they don't want the therapist to feel uncomfrtable and the therapist doesn't bring up because they don't want the client to feel uncomfortable but it is a really important part of therapy. But, just go for it. Trust me when I tell you that your therapist hears all sorts of stories about all sorts of things and is ready for it. Good luck!

User Profile: Laura
Laura OP February 17th, 2017

@HannahCaradonnnaMSW

Make sure to check page 2 of this thread for more questions, if you are still around :)

load more
load more
User Profile: Jenna
Jenna February 17th, 2017

@Laura @HannahCaradonnnaMSW

What is the most rewardable thing about being a therapist and how do you apply that to your career to keep yourself motivated?

User Profile: HannahCaradonnnaMSW
HannahCaradonnnaMSW February 17th, 2017

@Jenna

The most rewarding thing is seeing people grow! But I also am just so awed by the bravery of showing up for the session and pouring their hearts out. I feel very privledged to bear witness to struggle and growth.

...And occassionally I swear you can almost see that lightbulb ding in someone's face.

load more
User Profile: Laura
Laura OP February 17th, 2017

Pre-submitted:

How do I stop self-sabotage? I'm currently unemployed and know I should be working on my resume and trying to get interviews but this activity causes such anxiety the only relief I have found is to avoid even thinking of the things I need to do and do anything else.

User Profile: HannahCaradonnnaMSW
HannahCaradonnnaMSW February 17th, 2017

@Laura

Self-sabatoge is a way to protect ourselves from being rejected by others. We sabatoge so that others don't do it for us. So, it takes a lot of courage to apply for a job and go even in the face of possible rejection. It helps to work on rewriting the inner dialogue to be about "my goal is show up to this interview" or "I will complete two applications today" and then celebrate those achievements even if you don't get a job. Rather than "my goal is to get the job"

There is a great TED talk that is about procrastination if you haven't seen it. Very funny: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arj7oStGLkU

load more
User Profile: TheBen
TheBen February 17th, 2017

If someone wants to become a threapist, what can they do before college?

User Profile: HannahCaradonnnaMSW
HannahCaradonnnaMSW February 17th, 2017

@fruityVision

Excellent! We need more therapists. You can find a volunteer job in the helping fields. I volunteered with the seattle police department helping victims of domestic violence and I worked at the midwifery school just organizing the library but learned a lot about their profession of helping. There are loads of charities and programs always looking for helpers.

load more
User Profile: Liz1000
Liz1000 February 17th, 2017

What's the hardest part about your job, and what's the best?

User Profile: HannahCaradonnnaMSW
HannahCaradonnnaMSW February 17th, 2017

@Liz1000

Hardest part is that some days are emotionally draining. And if you have anything difficult going on in your personal life and then have a day with even just one tough client, you can feel pretty spent. Self-care is a really important part of being a therapist.

I answered the other part earlier :)

load more
User Profile: TheBen
TheBen February 17th, 2017

Do you go to a therapist?

User Profile: cyanPlatypus6370
cyanPlatypus6370 February 17th, 2017

@fruityVision ... smart question :)

User Profile: HannahCaradonnnaMSW
HannahCaradonnnaMSW February 17th, 2017

@fruityVision

I have gone to therapists but not currently. Its either strongly recommended or required depending on the program you are in to do your own work. And, the training process is such that it becomes necessary to explore your own dark corners in order to do the work.

load more
User Profile: Jessi86
Jessi86 February 17th, 2017

I have bipolar disorder and when I get into a manic episode my libido is extremely high. I also tend to not rent anything that has happened.

How do I tell my husband that I might have slept with another man during this time?

Do you think he will understand?

User Profile: Jessi86
Jessi86 February 17th, 2017

Remember not rent. Sorry I didn't spell check

User Profile: HannahCaradonnnaMSW
HannahCaradonnnaMSW February 17th, 2017

@godborned

First and foremost, it sounds like you need to get moods and mania looked at. If you don't remember, you are also putting your own health at risk. I would suggest talking to your doctor about getting on meds or having them adjusted and get screened for any STI's. As far as you and your husband go, that really depends on your relationship and what you have set up between you two. Good luck!

User Profile: Jessi86
Jessi86 February 18th, 2017

@HannahCaradonnnaMSW

Then you for answering my question.

load more
load more