Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I'm ashamed of my past self, and anxious that my past mistakes may come back to haunt me

User Profile: BetterForMyLovedOnes
BetterForMyLovedOnes September 4th, 2023

I've made many reprehensible mistakes in my past, and I'm not proud of them. I allowed myself to become a person I'm not, and made plenty of mistakes that are not representative of my character.


I am taking steps to put my past behind me, and since doing so, am constantly filled with anxiety. My main fear isn't facing some sort of consequence (which I expect), but mainly facing a consequence that may separate me from the ones I love, and paint me as a person I no longer am.

I have opened up to my loved ones, who have been supporting me. But every single day is torment, as I am filled with immense anxiety and guilt, having let them, and myself down, which makes it hard for me eat, sleep, and focus on the things I used to enjoy in my life.

I am not a victim. I put myself in this situation, and again, am taking the necessary steps to self reform, which includes posting here.


How do I cope with this constant anxiety and fear of the unknown?

11
User Profile: amiablePeace77
amiablePeace77 September 4th, 2023

@BetterForMyLovedOnes

Whatever happened in our lives we can only move forward when we start to forgive ourselves and others. I can see how worried you are to loose loved ones 💙 but hope it will not happen. You've done the first step to get better by coming here and I'm truly glad you reached out. Have you considered to chat 1:1 with a listener about what has happened in your life?

Mindfulness, especially meditations have helped me dealing with fears and anxieties about the unknown but also supportive mantras and self affirmations. Life will always change, nothing stays the same but we can equip us with good coping tools so that we can manage difficult situations. Sometimes more guided support is needed though.


User Profile: BetterForMyLovedOnes
BetterForMyLovedOnes OP September 5th, 2023

Hi there, thanks for responding. I really appreciate your words.


I've talked with a very helpful listener who's guided me on the right track. It's just hard to think about the potential consequences. I'm trying my best to get better though.

User Profile: amiablePeace77
amiablePeace77 September 5th, 2023

@BetterForMyLovedOnes

Nice that a listener could help you!

load more
load more
User Profile: soulsings
soulsings September 5th, 2023

@BetterForMyLovedOnes I am sorry your life is so disrupted by guilt. There is a purification process call the 4 stpe process. The first step is expressing regret, not guilt or shame or blame. Just regret.

The second step is appealing for forgiveneness of oneself.

The third step is doing things to help others

The fourth step is to express the determination not to repeat the action again.

If there are consequences, if you show true remorse for the action, the consequences may be less. A change of heart, a change od direction from self serving to serving others could really help. Not focusing on what happened and letting it go and focus on doing what you can to help others and help your family.

Glad you reached out to a listener. If you did any illegal activities it is probably best to talk about your feelings of what you did rather than the details of what you did when talking to listeners. It is less stress on you and the listener.

Hope you get the support you are looking for.

User Profile: BetterForMyLovedOnes
BetterForMyLovedOnes OP September 5th, 2023

Thanks for the detailed advice.


This is seriously a treasure trove of great info, as i am new here. I will definitely head your advice for the future.


Thank you so much!

User Profile: soulsings
soulsings September 5th, 2023

@BetterForMyLovedOnes you are welcome !

load more
load more