Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Teenage years ripped away--nothing but darkness and filth

User Profile: limeBunny4364
limeBunny4364 March 23rd, 2024
My early years were good. But in my teen years, everything turned dark. My mom became obsessed with our Catholic faith to the point that she began to make bad choices that traumatized us all. She starved herself for days when I was 14. I saw her gaunt and hollow-eyed, her voice raspy. My dad got extremely angry. After that, she practiced intermittent periods of fasting and got me and my sister sucked up enough into her weird, fanatical dogma that we began to fast as well. I was 15 and 16 at the time. I remember not eating anything for a whole day and my stomach feeling hollow. And my mom let me. I recall my mom also encouraging me to wear a hijab like a Muslim woman. I hated this so much but was so gullible and worshipping of her at the time that I did. And oh, how I hated it…I felt like my very femininity, my beautiful hair, had been stolen from me. My mom stopped taking me and my sister outside. She covered the windows with black trash paper. It was so dark and dreary and horrid. At one point, she seemed psychotic and was raging about our home being invaded by camaras and that people were watching us all the time. She would rant prayers for protection. I am pretty certain my mom had and still has a mental illness. Mom and Dad argued all the time. I remember crying at 16 over their fights. I had zero social life during my teen years; the entire teenage experience was ripped away from me. No friends, so social experiences, I didn’t even get to be outside and do fun things. This is one of the reasons why I, a former homeschooler, is now against homeschooling.

Then, later on, the awful hoarding began. My mom, a hermit by now who never left the house, began hoarding recyclable materials and trash in the house. She refused to dispose of anything. Dad raged at her. I tried to tell her it was wrong. She never listened. It was like she loved the trash more than us. In my early twenties I was still living here while finishing up college. Eventually, the toilet and plumbing broke, but we couldn’t have anyone over to fix it because our house was a total mess. We had mold on the walls and mice roaming around. I got diagnosed with asthma. Finally, this Christmas, I got extremely sick with viral asthma and was in the hospital for 3 days. I blame it on the horrible conditions I was living in. I recovered, and have finally moved out (thankfully landed a full-time job). But I know I am bruised emotionally from all this. I can never get back my teen years 😥. 
2
User Profile: toughTiger6481
toughTiger6481 March 24th, 2024

@limeBunny4364

It is very sad you had a front row seat to some extreme mental illness  events and ....can not really blame her as she was very messed up.  Has she gotten any help?   Are you concerned about whatever her diagnosis might be is genetic?     How did others cope?   Your health was put at risk and living in horrible conditions where was help?  or places you could have reached out to ? 

Teen years are not all like movies  and many people missed out for various reasons .... many having to do with dysfunctional families ....  no money or put to work or take care of home as parent has illnesses both physical and mental . 

I find it more difficult when we look back and can only imagine the best case scenario.  That life would be rosy except for this had derailed you.     I hope you can move past and celebrate your strength in making it through and being able to survive in situations most can never even imagine. 

User Profile: smallforestcreature
smallforestcreature March 24th, 2024

@limeBunny4364 Everything you describe makes my heart hurt for you. I’m sorry that you experienced such a terrifying situation as a teen, and that it’s creeped into adulthood in aspects of your physical and mental health. Mourning the loss of someone, your past self, is so incredibly valid. Even if you feel safe and physically well now, you’re recovering from trauma throughout a vulnerable time of your life. Even if your mom was having her own struggles in mental health, her lack of awareness of how it affected you doesn’t mean that it did not hurt you. That’s just to say you can care about her and her wellbeing, but ultimately it still was very damaging to you and you need to care for yourself. You are entitled to have feelings about what you missed out on, and what could have been. Now that you’re not in that living situation and physically feeling better, you might be in a new place to really think about and process these things in ways you haven’t in the past. That’s a good thing, but it can be a very difficult, lonely place to be.


I want to commend you on your strength and your awareness. At a young impressionable age, you were navigating an array of challenges that many people haven’t ever experienced. I have never experienced something like what you are describing, and it makes me reflect on my teen years. I struggled a lot, with comparatively a much more stable, safe, healthy living situation. I would have been so overwhelmed and disheartened if I went through what you did. You absolutely deserve time to process everything, including grief or mourning for what was lost. Keep in mind it may get worse before it gets better, but in healing often the worst parts mean that you’re making progress in the right direction and are temporary. I’m glad you shared what’s been going on here, and I hope you are able to continue to share with others and find support as you process this. Please be encouraged to message me if you’d ever like to chat more, my inbox is open.