Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I have experienced trauma but I am not...

User Profile: Kate
Kate January 28th, 2019

I have experienced trauma but I am not...

Share your truth and help break the stigma.

139
User Profile: Softhearted975
Softhearted975 January 30th, 2019

I have experienced trauma but I am not a victim. I'm a fighter.

3 replies
User Profile: Margaretp
Margaretp January 30th, 2019

Yes, not a victim. I used to say Im bipolar until a woman I respected told me I am not my diagnosis. I have bipolar disorder. That made a difference. @Softhearted975

3 replies
User Profile: cyanPlatypus6370
cyanPlatypus6370 February 9th, 2019

@Margaretp - Hi :) I just had to comment here ... SO very true! I am me, and then I have a Dx also. But first! I am a person, just like any other person with feelings/emotions and talents & limitations. Then also one of my limitations (as yours) is that I deal with bipolar disorder.

I have some friends who have taught me this is (or at least can be) called person-centered language or "people first" language. They are some of the leaders who go around to teach this person first language to others - like a seminar or perhaps a business meeting. Yes, anywhere, the hospital staff, the gas station attendants, the entire team who work at the grocery store, etc etc.

"Hi, I'm Platy and I deal with bipolar disorder." Thank you for pointing this out here, MargaretP. It is important to me :) Platy

2 replies
User Profile: Margaretp
Margaretp February 10th, 2019

I had no idea that there was a term that describes how to talk. This is incredible that in my 38 years of therapy that they never taught me this. The woman I wrote of is a much older Catholic parishioner and she and her family are missionaries. They help so many people including the rest of people in the Church. It wasnt anything taught to her. It was wisdom and common sense. Thank you for posting. Anything new that I learn helps me heal. Blessings @cyanPlatypus6370

1 reply
User Profile: cyanPlatypus6370
cyanPlatypus6370 February 10th, 2019

@Margaretp - Thank you to you also! I'm not sure how official or worldwide (or even known) this term is. Person First Language is a way of speaking - order of the words mostly (as far as I understand it anyway). I'm not sure how aged it is - the term, the training, etc. I've just heard of it not super long ago, but maybe it has taken awhile to get here to my portion of America. I'm glad you've learned something :) You may retire to bed now :D LOL. You know, "Learn something new every day." and then I say, Okay I learned my new thing - time for bed. Yes, even if it is 2:00 in the afternoon! haha. Blessings to you as well, dear! ~ Platy

load more
load more
load more
load more
User Profile: sincereShade3727
sincereShade3727 February 8th, 2019

Not broken or useless.