Should I be ashamed of the fact that I have ADHD?

Jennifer Geib, LCSWR

1:1 daily live chat sessions. - My therapy is non-judgmental and focuses on emotions and motivation to accomplish your goals or overcome your struggles.

Unicorn47
No. You should never be ashamed for having any disorder, especially since you had no say in getting it! First step to recovery is accepting. Accept what you have (I have it too, don't worry! ^-^) and try to see how you can cope with it, treat it, and make it so it has the least negative impact on your life as possible. You shouldn't even be slightly ashamed of having it. It is in no way your fault. And just because the majority of people don't have it, doesn't mean you are incompetent or inadequate in any way. In fact, you could even look at it as something that makes you unique. Just work towards getting the help you need and don't worry. Your best is good enough, even if it's not "as good" as someone else's, it's you pushing to your full potential, which is admirable and something you should be super proud of! :)
MummyDG
Having ADHD is NOTHING to be ashamed of! I have personal experience of this and would be horrified to know my loved ones felt ashamed. You need to embraces your differences x
Bonnie1
No. You should absolutely not be ashamed that you have ADHD. You have a medical condition just like any other. You can help control how the people around you respond to your symptoms by making them aware of your condition. If you need help learning to control your symptoms, ask your doctor for advice.
Anonymous
Abosolutely not, it is very manageable and most of the time goes away as you age, just learn ways to live and cope with the ADHD and studies show that most people with ADHD from childhood most often is almost gone by the time you hit 40.
Krista1597
No you shouldn't be ashamed. Instead see that you are just unique. It may not seem like the best to have with being unfocused or fidgety all the time, but it is nothing to be ashamed of. You can't help it.