I can’t seem to ever concentrate. My friend says Adderall helps him concentrate. How do I find out if it’s a good option for me?

Portugal

Jennifer Patterson, LMFT, ATR-BC

Art Therapist

Life can be messy. Sometimes you need a little support to make your way through it. I love to help guide people through their challenges & to find the beauty in our messes.

Anonymous - Expert in ADHD
Adderall and similar drugs should only be prescribed if you need them. Don't try to trick professionals into prescribing you drugs, they are controlled substances for a reason.
resourcefulLove83
I think it's very important to tell your psychologist exactly what's going on with you that's driving you to seek medication. If you're already on a medication that isn't working as well as you had hoped, make sure you explain that. Absolutely, mention adderall specifically, especially it has worked for you in the past. However, remember that your psychiatrist has had more experience in this area, and may have an even better medication to suggest based on your specific needs and history.
momentbymoment
If Adderall would be a legitimate medical help to you, the truth about your life and circumstances will give your doctor the evidence she needs to make a responsible decision. A doctor knows things about Adderall that you don't and lying to her about your circumstances will put your health at great risk. It's also a felony in most states to score Adderall by lying to a doctor.
EmpathSoldier
Speak to a trained psychiatrist and research the pros and cons of taking the drug. Compare the costs with other drugs and then based on a professional diagnosis, work on a therapy and medication plan to help with my long term goal. Also, regularly check in with my psychiatrist about how it is affecting me.
Anonymous
Your doc will prescribe what they feel is a good fit for you. Its trial and error. You arent gonna get the kinds of pills you want. Adderall is addictive too. People misuse it. So let the dr do their job
Anonymous
Ask her about your problem and see if she prescribe anything then ask about it to her and see what she say.
NaturalScience
Your psychiatrist should make a recommendation if they feel medication will help you. You should attempt to be honest and forthcoming to medical professionals. Not all problems require medication. If you really feel this is right for you (Adderall), ask your psychiatrist about it! They are there to discuss options with you.
Georgia
Adderall is a prescribed medication from a Doctor, and should never be taken just for the sake of concentration. However if you're really struggling to concentrate, seeing a Doctor for medication to help you is definitely an option :)
MarshmaIIows
Adderall is a drug that has many affects on different people. Usually, people with disorders find Adderall, at safe amounts, useful to concentrate. Although it could be a good option, it's definitely needed for you to get a prescription by seeing a psychiatrist, who will be able to issue some tests for you to see whether you need this drug, and slowly test, at suitable amounts, whether it's useful.
Anonymous
Seeing a psychiatrist would be incredibly helpful for this, however Adderall might not be the first place to start. You should describe your problem to a psychiatrist and go with recommended treatment.
Anonymous
February 3rd, 2018 10:51pm
Adderall should only be used if a doctor or psychiatrist approves it. It is usually used to treat ADHD. It could be a good option, but what about talking with a professional about it, he/she will sure be more qualified to answer this question
Anonymous
Basically off of work my friend tell me what I did was to go to my doctor and discuss what he think is best ask what all the side effects are and based off what he tells me try it
amazingSugar21
I'm having a hard time focusing. I can't concentrate. I begin projects, but partway through I think about another task that I want to do and then i'm on to the next thing.
Crest
January 22nd, 2016 2:15am
That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works. The psych themselves will determine if you should get it. (Also, this I in the question itself should be capital.)
MannyGalactic
January 23rd, 2016 4:23am
Well first off, you should never lie to your psychiatrist or any other medical professional to get medications that you want. Adderall may seem "cool" in that it makes you concentrate and do your work faster, but those who take Adderall and don't actually need it are actually known to be very very bad for their health. But if you are being truthful in that you genuinely believe you have a mental disorder in which you need to take Adderall, your doctor will know by your past school performances, and he/she will conduct ADD/ADHD tests on you in order to properly diagnose you. Never lie to your doctor!!!!
TheFaerie
You should only tell your psychiatrist what your actual symptoms are. If you take medication you don't need it can damage you physically and mentally.
Anonymous
Why would you want your psychiatrist to prescribe that precise drug to you? If you need it, your psychiatrist will be able to tell without the need of you saying a word.
EllaLoves
You shouldn't tell your psychiatrist anything to GET adderall, that would be considered drug seeking. If you feel you have ADHD and this is why you would like to be treated with adderall, simply tell your psychiatrist what your symptoms are and she will monitor you to see if medication is necessary.
Anonymous
I'm not sure one should seek a specific medication. A psychiatrist would look at your symptoms and provide you options based on their expertise. .
Michael77
The decision of whether or not you need Adderall is up to your psychiatrist. We're not allowed to self-diagnose for good reason. There's a lot to consider with meds, especially Adderall.
Anonymous
There is no right way to tell your psychiatrist to get adderall. It depends on if you need it or not.
Isa081
you can tell her/him the benefits. do some research and make a list. talk calmly and just let everything out. she/he will listen.
HarleenQuinnzel
You explain to them why you think the drug would be beneficial to your treatment plan.Many psychiatrists will do their best to get you on the right medication.
izzystar
TW: Perscription drug abuse Don't get adderall just because you feel like you need an extra boost of energy. If you feel you have ADHD/ADD symptoms, then talk about your symptoms with your psychiatrist and see what he/she/they recommends. In the past, I have abused my perscribed Vyvanse to help with finals week and it caused some kinda scary health issues (heart palpitations, etc.) nor did it really help me with my work! (yeah, I could stay up all night, but I was so cloudy and hyped that my work was terrible quality.
TangledRivers
February 21st, 2016 5:29pm
Your psychiatrist will decide whether or not Adderall is appropriate for your diagnosis. Do not fabricate anything you tell your psychiatrist in order to seek a specific drug. You can suggest that you want to try Adderall for an attention problem if the psychiatrist believes you have one and they may acquiesce your request (I sometimes suggest medicines to my doctor when dealing with my illness that we try in our plan). But you specifically fabricating something in order to get Adderall is the behaviour of an addict or drug user and will certainly result in the psychiatrist finding out and making sure Adderall is something to be avoided in your treatment.
Anonymous
If your chief goal is to simply obtain adderall than this isn't the site to be asking that on. But if you go to your doctor and explain what issues you are having, then I'm sure they will prescribe something that is right for you and your needs.
Mikatsu104
You really don't want to be put on a medication to control your body. It could hurt your body and brain.
RogerDan555
First of all, the psychiatrist is learned enough to prescribe you a medicine. It would be advisable that you tell him / her the symptoms rather than the medicine. You cannot decide for yourself what dosage you need. Refrain from drug abuse.
Anonymous
I would just be honest about everything you're going through. A psychiatrist will be able to tell if you need that kind of medication.
Anonymous
My best advice is that if you have a prescription just ask for a refill. If not, tell your therapist the god's honest truth and let things take their course. maybe Adderall isn't for you.