How do I find out a therapist credentials and licensing?

Jennifer Grube, LCSW

I am a celebrant of hope & healing touching the lives of thousands of people as they entrust me with their trauma & triumphs. Won't you walk with me to succeed & achieve?

silverlemonade
Check on government/therapy/counselling/psychology association pages. If they are registered, there should be registration number and a profile.
mkehelper
You can look them up online, as this is public record, on your state's licensing website. If you are already seeing a therapist, you can ask them, as they legally have to provide you this information. Their license should also be visible somewhere in their office and their credentials should be listed behind their name, such as LPC, LCSW, PsyD, or PhD. If you don't feel comfortable with this you can ask the administrative staff at the therapist's office as well.
softSugar96
You can look on Psychology today's website. they have all creds listed and you can narrow your search for your needs and insurance.
Anonymous
You can look online to find out their general information and you can also just ask, but usually they have some sort of degree on their wall.
braveVision49
You most of the time cant. Most things are very confidential. But know that whoever youre talking to, its between you and them.
Jesse1285
Generally, a therapist will provide you with this if asked. If they have a website, it will often list education, state of licensing, academic honors, and other meaningful information. If they do not, you may have to contact them and ask for this information.
XConsolingAngelX
Usually most therapists have their degress and what not on their walls in their office to sort of display their success
YOYO7
February 3rd, 2017 1:25pm
Each state has their own requirements for counselors to obtain licensure or certification. Some states have similar requirements while others may be entirely different. Finding those requirements via government websites, sorting through the pages of requirements and deciphering those requirements once found is a tedious task.Counselor-License.com has simplified the search process
MathewLutzMA
Ask them for it, a medical profession by law if you are their client has to provide you with them if you inquire. I have individuals ask me for mine all the time due to my age.
Bodhisatta
Depending on which country you live in, you need to find the governing body for the licensing and then look them up on their website. You could also approach your therapist and ask them directly.
Anonymous
I usually just ask up front. A therapist should be honest about what training they have had and should be able to explain what they can help you with. If you want to really understand what training they have gone through after finding out what they have, look up the state board they are licensed by and their requirements to become licensed in that state. It was very helpful to me in understanding what a therapist has done and has experience in.
Anonymous
I typically suggest using a search engine (i.e. Google, Bing) to look up registered therapists, counselors, psychologists, and social workers in your area. For example, if you were looking for a therapy in your city, search "registered therapists in _____ (your town name)". This will be a good place to start. You can also contact your family doctor, local hospital or health center and ask them for help finding a therapist to meet your needs.
BooksHugsandTea6370
This answer is easy - you ask them :) Really though, you can call the office where the therapist works and ask the receptionist or whoever answers the phone. You can sometimes find the therapist's credentials online; especially if his/her 'clinic' has its own website. But really the easiest way is to just ask him/her when you meet. I was recently transferred to a new-to-me therapist and I asked her lots of things. But things like, what school did you go to? or when did you graduate/how long have you been working in this field? What sort of job did you do before that? ... and important to me at least, What is your specialty? Do you have any 'extra' training, verification, or certificates of learning? I hope this is helpful! :)
Anonymous
Typically, this is something that a therapist would have on their website. If they have an office phone number, you could always call and ask.
politeVision
When we go to a hospital nearby then we can find out whether they have a certified theraphist or not , all the theraphista are different when we visit them once or twice then only we come to know if he/she is really helpful and the best for us , so it depends upon individuals perspective and first or initial meetings to find the right theraphist at a hospital or clinic . So the best thing to do is visit a hospital or a mental health clinic and they will let you know the therapist credentials and licensing as it is their duty