How do I stay motivated when I am not seeing results?

Meredith Seltzer, LPC

The therapeutic relationship can assist you in accomplishing your goals and clarifying your wants and needs. As a skilled counselor and therapist I will help you along the way

Anonymous - Expert in Exercise Motivation
Try changing your perspective. You may not be //seeing// results in terms of the big picture, but what about your progress week-by-week or day-by-day? For example: When trying to lose weight, one pound lost with an end-goal of losing 20 pounds, is still one pound lost. Now there's just 19 to go, and 19 is less than 20! Or if embarking on a Couch-to-5k program can be daunting. Maybe you can only jog for 30 seconds before getting winded. If the following week you manage 45 seconds of jogging, that's a 50% improvement (in spite of being a mere 15 seconds longer).
ListeningEar924 - Expert in Exercise Motivation
Think of what you want to accomplish in the long run. If it's something you really want, it's going to take time, hard work, and your desire to get it done! You may not see results immediately, and that's okay, just keep pushing until you do! There are times when I get frustrated and want to give up, but when I think about how bad I want it, it motivates me all over again. Just imagine how happy you'll be once you keep going and start seeing those results, keep that happiness in mind! :) You got this!
willowtree94
Change the results you're looking for? Instead of looking at the scale, think 'Today I'm going to do one more push up than yesterday', or 'I'm going to run half a kilometre more than I did last week', or 'I'll eat one more vegetable today than before'. The trick here is to start REALLY small though (literally something like 'Take a 5 minute walk'), and only increment in small doses - little and often - so you don't burn yourself out too fast. It's more motivating this way, and you'll see progress faster. And naturally you'll start seeing results on the scale too in the end.
OneMomentInHerPresence
Remember that, while you may not be seeing results now, you will if you keep on trying. If you stop you will not see results but you will if you keep going. Also, you might not be seeing the results but they are definitely happening, even for things you can’t see like your heart being healthier.
Anonymous
Remember that you are an amazing human, who can do anything you want. You just need to believe in yourself. Even though you are not seeing results, doesn't mean you can't do it. You're not gonna give up when you're this close are you?
HelpfulWhisper0735
You've just got to view your goal, and keep going, mentally keep going and keep trying. Try your hardest and you'll achieve anything.
Cuddlesandmorecuddles
Human beings are programmed for instant results, your brain doesn't care how important it is to you, it only cares about making you happy NOW. So how do you beat this? REMIND yourself why you started, take a few conscious breathes, be calm and relaxed, consistency is key. Think of how much you're setting yourself back if you quit now.
Anonymous
Start thinking about the resourcefulness like your own creativity, your past single(however small) accomplishments,your kind gesture,how you smiled or laughed without a reason, how you celebrated your birthday, your rewards and hugs.All these little reminisces will charge you again with full focus and complete awareness of yourself and the work or result for which you are trying.Also, analyze and know where you are making mistakes, whether consciously or unconsciously, and then plan and try to correct for the same next time.
gentleJewel93
I just have a hope to keep going and hope is very crucial. Without hope people can't do anything. With hope we are almighty.
brightJoy72
I try to put myself in the "now"....and realize everything is progress in the making. It's results. Sometimes just painfully slow ...it can feel so bothersome ...
PrincessPea247
This may sound a little childish, but I have found it to be a great way to motive me: giving yourself a sticker each time you exercise and you can watch your rewards build up. Something else I read when it comes to exercise is that it takes 4 weeks for you to see results, 8 weeks for your friends and family and 12 weeks for the rest of the world. Each time you exercise you are one step closer to seeing results!
iamdeepak
See the amount of efforts that you put in. It's easy to see and believe in the apparent fact as obvious occurrence. Therefore, in order to stay motivated, staying focused is a better alternative than staying with constant self-damnation.
Anonymous
Know that everything have a process , and usually beautifull results take too long to happen , if it makes you feel any better here is an example in life : GOD could have made a baby in a moment, but He designed it to take 9 months. A seed could have become a massive Oak in a day, but He designed it to take hundreds of years. All things take time. And to all things is a process you cannot speed up. Therefore, success is dependent upon patience (Sayings by Yasmine mogahed )
Raspberrycheesecake
Trying to stay motivated without seeing results is hard. Thinking about what’s happening inside your body and how it’s working can give you motivation. For example, not eating cake and eating fruit - the sugar isn’t beint build up in your body. The same with exercise, if you run a few miles a day, you might not see many results, but on the inside - your muscles are working hard. Just remember, everything has to be started in the inside and when it’s ready, it ends up showing results. Keep doing what you are doing and I’m sure that you will have more motivation than what you can deal with!
BestMotivationer
The way I stay motivated is by remembering what I am working towards and remember that I wouldnt want to be in the same spot next year.
Softheart4
Stop criticizing you for what you aren't and start knowing and recognizing the good in you, simply believe in yourself and have goals never give up!
Anonymous
Do something new try a new exercise or a new healthy meal just work on it & enjoy the process rather than focusing on the number on your scale for instance
Anonymous
Sometimes great things take time, and patience. For instance, when you start a new diet do you see immediate results? No, you have to work at it.
CoachJohn
If you are not getting the results you desired, take a step back and evaluate your process. Are you doing something each day to move towards your goals? Are you eating the right foods? Are you stretching and staying hydrated? Even running a mile here or there, or doing push ups every so often is a lot better than doing nothing! Even though you may not be hitting your goals, observe any progress and build upon it! If you could only manage 60 pounds on a certain weights exercise last week, but lifted 65 pounds this week, you're making progress! Keep working hard and use every success as a victory!
lovingLynx89
Be realistic, it doesn't take one day to get results. Think of the time it took you to get were you are now. Wait for the momentum to catch on! Have fun!
Anonymous
It's alright to face failure.... It means that you are on the right path towards your goal. Results cannot be seen immediately...dont worry you will be able to see them.. It will take some time. But in order to get them you need to hang in there... Don't lose hope...when you'll think about the best that can happen it will inspire you keep on going ... Trust me when you believe that you can do it you will be able to achieve results. Thinking about my success and good results did keep me motivated through my hard time,.. I think it will be able to help you as well
Anonymous
You will see results. Physiologically speaking, there is no way that you won't -- you just have to keep going, and keep going, and not give up. It's like going up a huge, steep, icy hill. You will not reach the top in one split second, you will not see where you are for a while, and you'll slip and fall down if you give up and stop holding on. But then you'll reach the top, and it will be worth all the hard work, and you're going to be so glad that you didn't give up.
Snowzee9
The results are probably there just waiting to just come out at a time when you are not really looking for them.
Laks1
Results do not come instantly. They always take time. Its gradual. Always remember what you want Whenever you feel discouraged. When you give up that's like blocking yourself from getting the results you want
Anonymous
Make a journal of all past accomplishments and achievements and it will help motivate you for your new goals
CharlieMorningstar
It's hard to see results when you're in your own mind and body all the time. You can easily fall into the trap of comparing yourself to you from only a day ago! Ask your friends or loved ones if they've seen results, or perhaps compare your current state with the state you started your journey in.
Anonymous
Certainly they are some results - even if not a stark improvement. Maintaining our emotional states is just as healthy as improving them.
soulsings
It is something that I usually do whenever I am feeling sad or out of sorts. I try to make it part of a routine and schedule early in the day. Before I get out of bed I do yoga floor stretches to get me feeling okay about getting out of bed. I meditate to find the inner strength to do what needs to be done. I eat a good breakfast and then go for a walk or do exercises. I listen to my body and not to the chatter of my mind. The chatter diminishes the less I pay attention to it.
Thehonesthelpergoose
I struggle with this myself. sometimes you have to stop expecting results on a daily basis and try to keep your mind off it, in no time you will see a change
admirableLight72
You keep fighting for what you want. You bring in positive thoughts and leave the negative thoughts behind. No matter how long it will take to show results, you keep going.