What does it mean if I am sexually attracted to one gender but romantically attracted to all?

Deane Rain Marie, LMFT

I take a holistic approach in working with eating disorders, mood disorders, relationships, and the LGBTQ community. I use EMDR, Dreamwork, Stories, CBT and Cinema therapy.

- Expert in Gender Orientation/Attraction
Sexual and romantic orientation often coincide, but that's not the case for everyone. In your case, it sounds like you are (depending on which gender you're attracted to) heterosexual/homosexual and biromantic! "Bi" stands for "same + different": your own gender and genders different than your own.
Anonymous
March 3rd, 2020 4:00pm
Sexual attraction and romantic attraction are similar, but different, things. While they both relate to attraction, they can act independently from another. I’m going to throw some terms at you- you can chose whether they’d fit you or not or if you’d like to use them. First off, sexual orientation. In regards to your sexual orientation, you could be either homosexual if it’s sexual attraction to the same (binary)gender, heterosexual if it’s attraction to the ‘opposite’ binary gender, or skoliosexual if it’s attraction to non-binary genders. As for romantic attraction, it sounds like you could be either panromantic or omniromantic. Panromantic is attraction to all genders with gender being somewhat important to important and omniromantic is romantic attraction to all genders with gender being not important at all or only slightly important. Remember, you don’t have to use a label if you want to, and your gender identity could change over time. I hope this helped!