I have recently developed feelings for my same sex friend who is gay, but I’ve never had feelings for the same sex before. What do I do?

Luz Cotto-Charneski, LCSW

As your therapist I will help guide and support your unique process of self-discovery. I will witness you reclaim your voice and find a life of fulfillment, purpose, and ease.

Anonymous
Treat it as you would any other crush. Just because you've never had feelings for the same sex before and may not ever have any others again doesn't make your feelings now any less real! Good luck!
ibelieveinpixiedust
Are you scared of having feelings for them? It is completely natural to have a crush or fall in love, not matter what gender you or them is. It just happens random. So if you really feel like you might like them , then go for it!
kindRose37
This can be confusing! Just know that you do not need to label yourself. Love who you want to love! People use labels to help them feel a sense of community and identity- but that doesn't mean they're mandatory. You don't have to identify as gay or bisexual (or anywhere else on the spectrum) just because of this one crush- but you can if it feels right. Sexuality also is fluid! You might have only experienced one form of attraction before now, but it could be shifting- and it could change again in the future! Try not to worry too much about your sexuality. Though it sounds cheesy, just be yourself and accept your feelings.
Jeremy93
Sometimes we are attracted to certain people simply because of their personality, or aura, or how they make us feel. There doesn't have to be a label placed on how you feel, and this person may very well be the only same-sex person you ever develop such feelings for. Or not. Time will tell. Try not to get caught up in the how and why, but simply enjoy their company for now and see how things play out. :)
It can surely be a bit confusing, but if he's gay and you have feelings for him, there's no reasons why you shouldn't give yourself this opportunity of love and happiness. Just follow your heart and do what makes you feel good, that's always the right path, even if it leads to unfamiliar roads!