How do I support my teen who has an eating disorder?

Shawn Wilson, LCSW

I provide supportive counseling and psychotherapy. I utilize cognitive-behavioral and solution focused strategies to address client concerns. Personal coaching is available.

Matic
Try to boost her or his confidance, tell them they look amazing and don't have to lose weight. Be supportive, talk to them and if possible try to figure out the reason behind the disorders. Also consulting with doctors is helpful.
Valentina18
It is very important that your child feels loved and supported, as eating disorders usually occur due to low self esteem. Make sure that he/she feels comfortable in their body and knows how important their health is, also, let them know as often as possible that you love them regardless and unconditionally.
anjewel4321
First of all, it's always important to determine the cause of the behavior if possible. Strict parents, bullying, self-esteem issues or extreme perfectionism can be one of the many reasons why a teen would develop an eating disorder. As a parent, it's important to stay connected with the school and your teen. Maintaining the dialogue open and be supportive without judging. Then, it's important to inquire about the issue but also about the resources available (i.e. private psychologist with some insurance coverage, employee assistance programs, community health center, specialty clinics, support groups or in/out patient programs).
Letmeknowbts
Support and listen. never judge or make her/him eat if they don't.Take advise of doctors and experts
caringIceCream67
Eating disorder, usually they have insight of that wht they r doing is not really normal but they won't accept that, its not their fault... but thats how it is. So I think u beeter take your child to a professional.
Teenage's goes through all sorts of stages in life based on peer pressure and society. Just don't pressure then just as much. Take it easy and try to get them to tell you what is the root cause of why they are having that problem and work with the root cause.
delightfulTruth71
Be there for them. Love them unconditionally. Focus on what is good in their life. Remind them about how lovely they are so they strive to be that (again).
Anonymous
Don't push them. The hardest thing we have to go through is friends and family pushing us to eat. Let him/her get to it into their own time. Take them to see other teens who struggle with eating disorders. Support groups help a ton. Don't make comments like, "You're so skinny," or, "You're very bony." It just makes it worse. I'm not saying to ignore it, because it is a very dangerous illness. But pushing someone and criticizing is the worst thing for them. If you want more advice, I recommend watching the movie "To The Bone," on Netflix with your teen. It's a movie about a teenager who has anorexia. (This is not a #ad)