Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What's your best life lesson?

User Profile: tommy
tommy November 22nd, 2023

Happy Wisdom Wednesday!

Life is busy and we are constantly figuring out ways to improve ourselves. Arguably, the more experience we have the more wise we become. They say experience is the best teacher!

What is a life lesson that you have learned through personal experience?


This thread is part of our Cupsgiving event! Find out other ways you can get involved here.

64
User Profile: softpeaks23
softpeaks23 January 19th, 2024

well said

User Profile: gentleCurrent6568
gentleCurrent6568 January 21st, 2024

my biggest lesson in life is to trust people, very often people let people down

User Profile: jddjunior
jddjunior January 25th, 2024

Don’t take it for granted. Don’t take anyone for granted either.

User Profile: UnsungTangerine
UnsungTangerine January 31st, 2024

I'm not really sure if its a life lesson per say, but my Grandma always told me not to worry about things I cannot impact. I tend to stress and worry about things out of my control to an almost unhealthy degree.

User Profile: CallumKing2000
CallumKing2000 February 2nd, 2024

Through time I have learned a few life lessons and 1 of them was when you have to be careful who you trust in life, you will see the people who are there for the show and you'll see those who are lurking in the darkness but when it comes down to see who you can trust 90% of those you thought are 100% will eventually turn out to be 0% 

User Profile: unassumingEyes
unassumingEyes February 2nd, 2024

You won't be satisfied till you try it your way.

User Profile: DarkSquirrel
DarkSquirrel February 9th, 2024

@tommy  One of the most important lessons for someone who has been raised by people who treated them poorly...

It's not your fault.  

They didn't treat you badly because of how you were, they treated you badly because of how they were.  No child deserves to be treated badly.  You didn't cause their coldness, and you cannot fix their coldness (or anyone else's).  

I believe one of the core issues we face is that we are raised in cultures that teach us to believe all parents love their kids.  Phrases like "a face only a mother could love" suggest that Mom will love us even if no one else will.  The message is unarticulated, but powerful: if your parents can't love you, no one can.  It's also a suggestion that if your parents don't accept you, it's because there is something very wrong with you. 

But some people just aren't cut out to be parents.  They aren't loving, and maybe they don't have much of a capacity to love, but they have children nonetheless.  It's not the fault of the children.  As adults, we need to stop blaming ourselves and start realizing that we didn't do anything to make Mom and Dad (or Grandma or whoever) treat us poorly.  They were supposed to love us unconditionally.  The fact that they didn't is their flaw.  We were just kids looking for love from people who couldn't or wouldn't give it.

User Profile: GlenM
GlenM February 9th, 2024

Lots of great wisdom in this thread! Thank you @tommy for compiling it all :)

User Profile: Vane26
Vane26 February 10th, 2024

@tommy My life lesson right now is "Never blame anyone in life. The good people give you happiness. The worst people give you a lesson. The best people give you memories." I am glad for the people who bring me happiness and positivity. They make my day when I am down. I don't blame the worst people because if that event or situation didn't happen I wouldn't have learned from it. I thank the best people for giving me memories that I will never forget. 

User Profile: tiredbubble00
tiredbubble00 February 12th, 2024

I don't have any,i only know when i give up something i will be regret later.