Weekly Prompt #41: Are there any underlying beliefs or fears that fuel your anxiety?
Hello all and welcome back to another discussion,
A couple of weeks ago, we discussed what kind of behaviors anxiety has caused you to engage in. Thank you to all who participated and shared your thoughts with us. I appreciate you all. I hope all who may read it find it relatable, too. If anyone hasn't shared them yet, please share them here, and I look forward to reading and discussing them with you.
This week's prompt: Are there any underlying beliefs or fears that fuel your anxiety?
There are often underlying beliefs and fears that fuel anxiety and these can be categorized into a few key areas like core beliefs, fears, negative thinking patterns, etc. Let's start to discuss and share these behaviors and I look forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences.
Did you join us in the Anxiety Support Chat? It is available every Wednesday for the entire day.

@ASilentObserver
Being around loud noises and being around a lot of people and being in public stores, concerts, anywhere there is a lot of people and loud noises.
@Rose1324 That sounds overwhelming. I understand how it feel stressed and anxious in those environments. It takes strength to navigate those situations. Please allow yourself permission to step away when you need to, and know that you are not alone, we are all here to listen to and support you.
@ASilentObserver
Thank you so much.
@ASilentObserver I believe anxiety can be fuelled by under lying fears and beliefs, even when not recognised consciously. These might include core beliefs about safety, control, or self-worth, as well as negative thought patterns that reinforce anxiety.
@ASilentObserver Thank you for bringing up this important topic. I think underlying beliefs and fears definitely play a big role in anxiety.
For me, I’ve realized that a lot of my anxiety comes from a deep fear of not being good enough or making mistakes. When I have these thoughts, I tend to overthink situations and imagine the worst-case scenarios, which only feeds into my anxiety. I also sometimes struggle with the belief that I need to be perfect, which can be overwhelming.
I’ve found that challenging these thoughts and reminding myself that it's okay to make mistakes has been helpful. Taking small steps, like focusing on the present moment or using positive self-talk, can also make a difference in reducing anxiety.
I’m curious to hear from others. What beliefs or fears have you noticed fueling your anxiety? And what strategies have helped you cope or reframe those thoughts?
@ASilentObserver
I know my anxiety is fueled by things I am totally unaware of why. I stay in a hyper-vigilant state for no reasonable reason . I startle very easy and I know that I am there for a reason but if my name is called I jump. How can this serve me? If a real reason to panic, I may be immunized and not react properly
@ASilentObserver
Much of my anxiety is fueled by thoughts of “What if someone else did * better? That will just be embarrassing for me and any of the work I’ve done.” I am self aware that it isn’t a helpful way to deal with my anxiety, but Im only human. Working on thinking patterns.
@ASilentObserver I think for me, it may be some form of doubt that may stem from stress or fictional fear. Feeding those lies just snowball into a big ball of anxiety that I have to break down.
@ASilentObserver
Overthinking the past for future to much is often a fuel for anxiety for me. It breeds unnecessary worry and overwhelm sometimes. With the expectations of society to perform in ways, i tend to get a little head of me self chasing outcomes. Staying organized with my time and affirming to myself that it’s ok to be slow and present has really helped me to find groundedness in my struggles with anxiety.
@ASilentObserver
I used to fear handling difficult situations and that was the cause of panic within but when I came accross such situations I think i learnt it's just my brain making me feel overwhelmed and departing me from the reality.
@ASilentObserverAnxiety at one point is very natural when you start something new, because the terrain is very unfamiliar. This is my first reply on any forum. I am anxious. I am afraid if you will like it or not I am afraid of your reactions if I open myself up to you Too faceless people staring at my soul across the screens. To summarise different themes and insights I read in this validating and resourceful thread so far: People are afraid about the past repeating itself creating a cycle where the anticipation of negative events can increase anxiety and fuel avoidance feeding the fear again. Some participants say that they live in constant state of alertness, unable to relax and trust others because of the fear that something bad will happen if they let their got down. Low self esteem and negative chef talk and social anxiety is also already discussed. Perfectionalism and fear of judgement are also identified as major sources to anxiety So is the loneliness and fear of abandonment. People also talked about specific phobias, childhood and trauma which can resurface during the periods of stress or crisis mode. I want to add to this list- The impact of domestic violence and self esteem: You dont need people hitting you all the time to call it a domestic violence Survivors often develop low self esteem, depression and anxiety because this entire ordeal targets the body image and self worth. You no longer feel beautiful You no longer feel worthy of someone's attention You feel incompetent despite you knowing that you are not. Years of negative self talk Trying to justify the person who is abusing you Slowly erodes you to your core. The passive aggressive communication hostility sarcasm backhanded compliments and dismissive remarks Are seldom acknowledged but are very impactful. What can you do to avoid them? Maybe nothing. I'm not sure myself... But you can start by a simple exercise that worked for me. You need to identify what is the wound, How is it affecting you? Whose Voice is This? and the false belief that is being ingrained into you. Then choose your new belief. eg: Expectation/wound: You need to be silent if you want to be a part of family, You'd be silent for the harmony sake. How is it affecting you? You are afraid to speak up when you are wronged. You feel anxious to be with people who are hurting you, and you feel anxious to get out of the situation that is hurting you. Whose Voice is This?Childhood conditioning, My family. the false belief that is being ingrained into you: You need to value maintaining peace more than your self esteem.That pleasing prevents conflict. Then choose your new belief: I am loved even when I speak my truth. I dont need to be violent when I speak up but I still need to speak up. I deserve that to myself. This, along with anticipating and mitigating all the negative feedback that can come to you when you act helped me tremendously.
@ASilentObserver
Hello