Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

To those who have never experienced anxiety before - It's OK to be scared.

User Profile: Jem7Cups
Jem7Cups March 23rd, 2020

The world is filled with uncertainty at present.

Fear of leaving the house. Fear of social contact. Fear of the world as we know it coming to an end. But for people who suffer from mental illness, anxiety or depression… its nothing new. For once, its quite a relief to be worried about something real.

Unknowingly, Ive been in training for the coronavirus outbreak for years. Social distancing is my forte, not leaving the house is a walk in the park and an entire month without seeing another human being is just February.

Now the whole country is facing a mental health pandemic, as well as a viral one. Those of you who have suffered from anxiety or depression in the past will know how hard it is to feel like you cant face the world. Now were under instruction NOT to face the outside world, we are all more vulnerable to mental illness, or sadness, or both.

If, like me, youve suffered with your mental health over the years, one silver lining to all of this is that you can now help those around you for whom this is new territory. I havent really noticed a change in my anxiety levels in the Covid-era because I naturally operate at 100 per cent nervous wreck. What I have noticed, however, is the people around me, people who I perceived as being emotionally and mentally robust, are beginning to show signs of mental struggles.

If, like me, youve suffered with your mental health over the years, one silver lining to all of this is that you can now help those around you for whom this is new territory.

You have the tools and empathy to understand what they are going through; the uncertainty, the panic, the despair. So, in an attempt to put a positive spin on the tragedy of world events and mental illness, perhaps now is the time to put our experience to good use. I have a little journal of coping mechanisms to help me fight the blues, and although going to the cinema or taking myself out to dinner are strictly off the cards, there are other options that fall within government guidelines.

Having a shower every day is simple, but key. As is maintaining a decent sleeping pattern. The temptation to have late nights and lie ins will be strong for those who are working from home, but once you get into that habit, its difficult to break. Fast forward to 2020 and Im just as worried about my parents dying from the absence of my superstitious ritual as I am about them dying from an actual disease – because in the mind of an anxious person, every worry is real.

Im even worried about not being worried enough.

Its OK to be angry, confused, sad and hopeless for a while, but if it starts to take over your sanity then please reach out. Youll soon discover that other people are feeling the same. Strange concerns will keep you awake at night, but if its any comfort, know youre not alone. Dont deny yourself those emotions, but try not to let them linger too long.

As a youngish, relatively fit person, I have no real concerns for my own health. But I am worried. Im worried about people dying. Im worried about the economy dying and Im worried about entire industries being brought to their knees.

Im even worried about not being worried enough.

Dealing with anxiety is hard, especially if youre not quite sure what youre anxious about. But the key to dealing with it is to accept the things you cannot change, motivate yourself to do something about the things you can, and try to understand the difference. The world as we know it is changing around us, and thats scary, but try to find some solace in the knowledge that its happening to all of us in a myriad of ways and were all figuring it out as we go along.

None of us are immune to coronavirus and no one is immune to mental illness either.

Whilst we wait patiently for a vaccine, we can at least prescribe some empathy and understanding to those suffering from the psychological impact of the pandemic.

16
User Profile: Regmo
Regmo March 23rd, 2020

Great article!

1 reply
User Profile: Jem7Cups
Jem7Cups OP March 23rd, 2020

@Regmo thank you 💖

load more
User Profile: lyricalAngel70
lyricalAngel70 March 23rd, 2020

@Jem7Cups

This is amazing!

1 reply
User Profile: Jem7Cups
Jem7Cups OP March 23rd, 2020

@lyricalAngel70 thanks 💜

load more
User Profile: Stefi2020
Stefi2020 March 23rd, 2020

@Jem7Cups this was so helpful. Currently at home. Been locked uo for a few days now. I am not used to this much free time. And i have been worrying a lot. Especially for my parents. For me. All this time to overthink has been really hard. I usually overthink work, diet, imagine and with this i feel i have become a little bit more aware of my mortality.it sucks. I am trying to stay realistic, inform, stick to the facts but my head doesnt stop

1 reply
User Profile: Jem7Cups
Jem7Cups OP March 23rd, 2020

@Stefi2020 I'm sorry. Please try and keep yourself distracted during this tough time 💖 We're here for you.

load more
User Profile: Goldcherry2113
Goldcherry2113 March 23rd, 2020

Thank you for the read. You are a saint Jem

1 reply
User Profile: Jem7Cups
Jem7Cups OP March 23rd, 2020

@Goldcherry2113 as are you! 💟

load more
User Profile: Happy900
Happy900 March 23rd, 2020

@Jem7Cups Great Post. Very timely as well.

1 reply
User Profile: Jem7Cups
Jem7Cups OP March 23rd, 2020

@Happy900 thank you ❤️ I hope you're okay.

load more
User Profile: Amarillo
Amarillo March 23rd, 2020

@Jem7Cups

Thanks for this wonderful article!

I've actually been joking around myself that all that time of being so depressed and anxious I'd hardly leave the house finally became a useful life skill. It seems like silver linings come in the most unlikely forms sometimes.

I've made the observation of people, who until now seemed (at least outwardly) perfectly fine mentally/emotionally, being almost more worried about the situation than me, too. And thank you for the tips on helping them - I'm not the best at supporting people, but sharing coping strategies is something even I can do, I think.

Wishing you and everyone else all the best in these trying times!

User Profile: SparklingSnowflake15
SparklingSnowflake15 March 23rd, 2020

@Jem7Cups Thank you for sharing, I really enjoyed reading this post. I think that it has some good points, and as someone with anxiety I know I can help people cope during this difficult time.

User Profile: jennysunrise8
jennysunrise8 March 23rd, 2020

@Jem7Cups

some resources in the spirit of this post .....

https://www.nextdoor.com you can either use the website or app (free) to connect with your neighbors start a group offer help exc. and nextdoor is available in the United States, United Kingdom, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Italy, Spain, Australia, Denmark, Sweden, and Canada

using nextdoor to support your neighborhood during crisis https://help.nextdoor.com/s/article/Using-Nextdoor-to-support-your-neighborhood-during-this-crisis?language=en_US

another resource i found is a 24/7 toll free number people can call (US) the disaster distress helpline that will connect people experiencing emotional distress - anxiety depression stress - due to disasters (including pandemics and events related to pandemics) with free counselors to talk to who will talk to them help with coping skills and direct them to resources https://www.samhsa.gov/find-help/disaster-distress-helpline

but same here its really nothing new to me but im sure such a dramatic change in routine is causing people stress that alone is stressful just everything different for some people all of a sudden and yes we can help and support eachother and meet people we otherwise wouldnt be meeting and connecting with great post :)

User Profile: AstronomySkies
AstronomySkies March 24th, 2020

@Jem7Cups

Thanks so much for sharing this! It's really helpful for others! :)