Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Have you ever wanted to talk but felt to shy?

User Profile: talktomeok
talktomeok June 22nd, 2017

This is how I feel many times when I want to talk, just like this cute little puppy, I am too cute, but I hide behind a mask.

35
User Profile: XtinaSunshine
XtinaSunshine June 23rd, 2017

@talktomeok Such a cute puppy! I too feel that. I'll have something funny to say or add to conversaiton but then I get too shy and just end up staying quiet. :(

2 replies
User Profile: talktomeok
talktomeok OP June 23rd, 2017

@XtinaSunshine I am able to talk when I know the people or feel like they are friendly laugh Maybe that could help. Do you have any time when you feel like you can talk?

User Profile: bouncyWaterfall89
bouncyWaterfall89 June 28th, 2017

@XtinaSunshine

You are depriving the world of your unique chatter if you keep silent! Always remember!

load more
User Profile: pastelsmilecafe
pastelsmilecafe June 23rd, 2017

When I was younger, I've always been too shy to speak up. My classmates barely knew what my voice was like. But after I moved a different school, the environment changed and that became a reason for me to change too. The people around me were more friendly and loud in a good way, and my body picked up that personality while I was with them. Now I am able to speak up to strangers when they seem like they need help in public.

1 reply
User Profile: talktomeok
talktomeok OP June 23rd, 2017

@pastelsmilecafe That is a great expirience that helped you to become more open. I wish I had that expirience too sad

load more
User Profile: carrotgoosoup
carrotgoosoup June 24th, 2017

@talktomeok

Absolutely! Maybe now as an adult I wouldn't call it "shyness" over "anxiousness". Sometimes I filter my thoughts over and over, to see if they "pass the test" for it to be spoken out loud.

2 replies
User Profile: Petrichor22
Petrichor22 June 28th, 2017

@gongoozlersoup19 I understand how you feel, I've been there; but I want to tell you that you are in control of yourself, you choose to see whether a thing is right or wrong. I believe your anxiousness can decrease if you think of what's the worst that could happen. The people could disagree with you but soon they'll forget about the conversation you all had. I recognize how difficult it could be, but every once awhile we all need to do something for ourselves. :)

User Profile: talktomeok
talktomeok OP June 28th, 2017

@gongoozlersoup19 that could be really hard. In my case, I just get very logical, and see why should I talk now, if its chit chat, or more of the same, or with a woman why should I talk to her, she will hate me.. then I remain isolated and get home lonely

load more
User Profile: wittyPark6454
wittyPark6454 June 24th, 2017

Yes, I have. I've reduced the feeling immensely, partly by being more confident to both approach someone and not if I don't feel like it, but I still get it from time to time, especially if I feel anxious or reserved at the moment.

1 reply
User Profile: talktomeok
talktomeok OP June 28th, 2017

@wittyPark6454 it looks like we have work to do here, both of us laugh

load more
User Profile: Devin000
Devin000 June 26th, 2017

@talktomeok

Shyness is just a part of your personality. It is not a bad thing. Embrace it.

But if there are times where you want to talk or say something to someone, you can choose to say it in private, rehearse it(believe it or not I would literally plan how certain meetups would go: I would sit in front of a mirror and just tell my reflection what I want to say to someone. Evaluate it. Do you experience anxiety? If so label it, talk with a listener!

1 reply
User Profile: talktomeok
talktomeok OP June 28th, 2017

@DPKMTL Well I have to admit that it would be really nice to learn how to bond with certain people. I would love to learn how to identify other shy people like me and bond with them, also I would love to be able to identify nice people and true autentic people and be able to bond to them and open up to them too.

load more
June 27th, 2017

@talktomeok Yes, I do. I try to stay normal and talk like other people, but still I need to learn more. I often try to talk here in groups like listener support room or hangout room but find it difficult to talk after greeting other listeners. So all I say is... hello everyone, how are you doing? 🙄😐

2 replies
User Profile: talktomeok
talktomeok OP June 28th, 2017

@FromHeavenOnEarth well in my case I have difficulties talking in public, face to face , but I see how talking in here for some people can be hard, maybe overthinking can make things hard for us.

1 reply
June 29th, 2017

@talktomeok Yes. I agree with you.

load more
load more
User Profile: poogsiepop2021
poogsiepop2021 June 28th, 2017

@talktomeok all of the time... every time almost... i feel very self consious about it and can never get any words out until im crying. glad to know im not the only one <3

1 reply
User Profile: talktomeok
talktomeok OP June 28th, 2017

@poogsiepop2021 Well it looks like I am not the only one , and I do feel the same like wanting to cry, like I cant breathe if I cannot let my voice go out.

load more
June 28th, 2017

I can definitely relate to this! Instead of being too shy, I feel like I doubt myself in social situations xD It's something that we can work on as time passes, and it is 100% something that we can improve, no matter how hard it is we will get there :3

3 replies
User Profile: talktomeok
talktomeok OP June 28th, 2017

@Joe2017 my biggest problem is with women, is like every time I see a woman I see someone laughing at me, maybe its a lot of past traumatic expiriences.

2 replies
June 28th, 2017

@talktomeok

that must be hard :c. As you said it could be due to your past experiences, which would be a reasonable explanation :c I do hope you manage to improve in that area. We can do it together heart

1 reply
User Profile: talktomeok
talktomeok OP July 3rd, 2017

@Joe2017 Well, yes I am working on that, and one way I found out, trying to open up to people who are nice, its a really nice way :)

For instance today I went and sang in a choir and play the violin in an orchestra, and I had some time off between the choir and the orchestra, so I gather with some people from the choir at a coffee shop to talk, it was really nice talking to other people. Even some of them were playing with their phones, some of them were chatting nicely to me :)

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: bouncyWaterfall89
bouncyWaterfall89 June 28th, 2017

@talktomeok

Cute puppy.

It happens to me too but then, I imagine the person to be someon else. Like someone familiar.

Try and see if this helps!?

3 replies
User Profile: talktomeok
talktomeok OP June 28th, 2017

@bouncyWaterfall89 I dont talk to family, so this wont help me either, if I think in family I might turn pure hatred..

2 replies
User Profile: bouncyWaterfall89
bouncyWaterfall89 June 28th, 2017

@talktomeok

Oh I am sorry. I did not know that. Please forget it.

Alternatively, a friend could work?

1 reply
User Profile: talktomeok
talktomeok OP July 3rd, 2017

@bouncyWaterfall89 I am working on making friends, it is taking me time though

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: snowbunny107
snowbunny107 July 3rd, 2017

yes, quiet often. i'm naturally shy and quite reserved, so my shyness and my anxiety, both, make it difficult to talk to people that i don't really know or don't feel comfortable with. so, sometimes, i can push myself to talk to them, when other times i can't. then, if i'm anxious about talking to someone, i find it best and most helpful to talk to them by already being surrounded by people that make me happy. there's a couple people that i simply just enjoy being around, so if someone approaches me, i have an easier time talking to a someone i'm too shy and anxious to speak to because being around people i love and enjoy being around calms my nerves instantly.

1 reply
User Profile: talktomeok
talktomeok OP July 3rd, 2017

@snowbunny107 In my case I can push myself to talk to people who know me and places where I hang out a lot. For instance certain people at the gym, people from play instruments like me at the conservatory.

load more