Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Orlando Nightclub Tragedy - Discussion & Support

User Profile: Laura
Laura June 12th, 2016

Early this morning a mass shooting occured at a gay night club in Orlando, Florida. Recent reports site that 50 people were killed and many more injured.

If you need more information - here are some of the news articles I have come across:

New York Times Article

CNN News Article

I am deeply saddened by this news report and wanted to create a space for us to talk about this tragedy and support one another. Please share how you are feeling here and lets have a supportive discussion that lifts our hearts up and honors those who have been impacted.

203
User Profile: calmHemlock64
calmHemlock64 June 14th, 2016

I am sad about this but I'm also more sad that it has taken this long for people to mourn and see the effects of violence when so many mass shootings or even frequent senseless violence happen on a frequent basis already in certain communities.

User Profile: PacificSunrise
PacificSunrise June 14th, 2016

It was hard to hear about this tragedy and even harder to hear the names of the victims. Everytime I hear someone died who still has a lot of life ahead of them and lots of potential, I am saddened by it. It's very depressing when a lot of people are affected. My heart pours out to the victims and their friends and family who are affected by this.

June 14th, 2016

All my heartfelt prayers are going to the families of the victims of this massacre that shouldn't have happened, this is truly sad, May they Rest In Peace.

User Profile: brokengirl1
brokengirl1 June 14th, 2016

My heart goes out to all that have been affected.

RIP to all of the people that lost there lives.

#PrayForOrlando

#loveislove

User Profile: LesReverie
LesReverie June 14th, 2016

@Laura

Hi, I am deeply saddened by the news of this shooting, my sisters were there, and sadly, they didnt survive...... :( its so hard, its just a shock :(:(:(

3 replies
User Profile: LesReverie
LesReverie June 14th, 2016

@LesReverie

I pray for the injured, and mourn for the dead....... What has happened to humanity?

User Profile: calmHemlock64
calmHemlock64 June 14th, 2016

@LesReverie I'm so sorry. My condolences and may they rest in peace.

User Profile: KrinkTheMellowUnicorn
KrinkTheMellowUnicorn June 14th, 2016

@LesReverie - how terribly, terribly sad. I grieve for your loss. I hope you have people to talk to in this time.

load more
User Profile: Teddibearluvsme
Teddibearluvsme June 14th, 2016

Why must we have to live in so much fear just because we love someone of the same gender? Why must we feel threatened when we go outside? Why must we feel scared to go to our own pride now? Why? Because people don't like change? You can't blame this on mental illness alone. There are mentally ill people all over the world but they don't shoot every person they hate. There was a catalyst and that was the fact that he could get his hands on an assault rifle because america has no gun control

User Profile: AnnaJades1111
AnnaJades1111 June 14th, 2016

It pains me to see that in a world where we are meant to celebrate our differences and be fond of each other's uniqueness, some decide to hurt innocents because of it. It hurts me that insted of loving each other.. We hate because someone chooses to live a particular way or not being what society calls "normal"... Why?

User Profile: MagicToMe
MagicToMe June 14th, 2016

My heart is broken and not only because of this but for what happens on the entire world, why humans are so impulsed to hurt!? we all can live in our own way without hurting anyone else. Sometimes I'm really hopeless about "humanity" 💔

User Profile: DuckDuckGo
DuckDuckGo June 14th, 2016

@Laura

I accept that it was a tragic incident and such things should not be happening, not just in the USA but around the world also.

But why on earth are we seeing that the mass killings happened in Paris or Belgium or America getting this much compassion, empathy and sympathy unlike those mass killings happening daily in Syria or Iraq or Yemen or Pakistan or those African countries for one reason or the other. Sometime sit is terrorism and sometimes its helplessness or poverty, but one thing is for sure, the mass killings are happening everyday around the world. But it is like you need to kill some posh, classy, elegant lives to be taken to get the world's attention or the so called posh nation's attention.

Every day we are hearing news about refugees dying at sea, children burned and women raped in Yemen, Bombings in Pakistan or in People starving to death in Africa. Oh yeah, they do get slots in the midnight or after that. But believe me it has just become a routine thing to pass by for everyone.

I am not trying to hurt anyone's feelings here. But it is highly disappointing for me to see that the so called classy nations and its people, including the 7cups have the heart and soul to bestow compassion and sympathy only when these things happen in a brain-sick rock concert or in a night club and when a certain class of people are dying.

16 replies
User Profile: WordsUnsung
WordsUnsung June 15th, 2016

@DuckDuckGo

A large part of this issue is that we've really gotten used to people dying. Everyday, we hear of someone dying, someone getting shot, someone loses their life because someone with a gun made a stupid desicion. This particular incident got so much attention because it was so close to us, and it finally occured to people that this could have been them.

1 reply
User Profile: kezcasvip
kezcasvip June 15th, 2016

@WordsUnsung you forget racism and euro-centric media.

load more
User Profile: DuckDuckGo
DuckDuckGo June 15th, 2016

Just to clarify things, I would like to point out that when I said 'the posh nation', I was talking about a community and not a country. It is not just about the developed nations or undeveloped nations. It is not just about the first world or second world or third world countries. And certainly not sex, race or religion. I hail from India and I was noticing the hypocrisy of Indian media and many of the people here. Breaking news, 24*7 Live coverage, Choppers and what all. And the people here lighting candles, several minutes of silence and what not. Again, these things arent bad. I love to see people caring about each other, being part in other's sorrows. It is just that the hypocrisy is too much to stand and watch.

Further, I just wanted to mention one more thing here. I believe this thread was under the tag- Disagreements and Conflicts. So I want to believe that some of the comments that were posted here by fellow 7cups members were vanished not because of them showing their disagreements and conflicts.

Thank you

User Profile: JasRob25
JasRob25 June 15th, 2016

@DuckDuckGo

I think the reality of this event is that it was a tragic event that no matter what would get media coverage because of where this event happened and the unexpectedness of the attack. I dont think we should draw away from the horror of this story just because death and attacks happen across the world all the time. I do agree that less attention is given to conflict areas such as Syria and the migration crisis that is currently affecting Europe. It is sad that not enough attention is given to other similar events or barbaric atrocities however I dont believe this has got anything to do with class but merely that we have to know the facts of the situation we all face across the world. And that reality is that Western media is very much dominating across the world in terms of what is reported and when it is reported. I also think that we need to understand that this attack was an attack on a specific group of people based on their own lifestyles/believes and therefore has affected a group of people across the world that can sympathise with the victims as they can relate this prejudice to their own circumstances.

In so far as countries like Syria, Iraq, Yeman, Pakistan or African countries to which you refer to – do you believe that by the world media giving more attention to these atrocities will bring the same to an end? I dont see that to be the reality. What makes you believe that there is no sympathy for the affected people across the world that is involved in these kind of atrocities. Why is it when these atrocities happen due we draw conclusions that because they are getting media coverage that the other atrocities affecting the world do not matter. All death that happens without just cause or because of someones lack of respect for life deserves sympathy and there are many in my own home country that can be mentioned that did not get this kind of international media attention but that does not mean I sympathise less with the Orlando victims or the victims of any other tragedy just because I am more aware of this event.

As far as 7cups is concerned by giving this platform I think we should also understand that this is a platform where a lot of LGBT community members reach out to for support where they feel there is none and this event has definitely resurfaced for many across the world the reality that the LGBT community face. So this would be a very appropriate platform for LGBT community members to reach out to show support for their own community. In the end of the day the atrocities that take place across the world affect everybody differently but we have to remember that when something to this scale occurs without warning it allows people to question why do these kind of things happen and it also reminds of the countless amount of people across the world that die in vain.

In so far as your home country is concerned I have heard of numerous atrocities that get Western media attention – such as the disgusting and brutal rape of that poor woman on the bus while her child was on the same bus – and countless other stories. Does it make it less tragic because there was not a heart-pouring worldwide grief – no. Or what about when a family home in South Africa was burgled, the wife brutally rape, shot and husband shot then the child (12) forced to drown in boiling water after he just witnessed the death of his parents. These events are extremely heart wrenching. But how does drawing attention away from this event make it any less tragic. The victims were from all walks of life and I would therefore argue your point that you say only when a certain class of people are attach does the event get public attention.

If this same event where a night club was attack – the last place you would expect – happened in India I would argue that it would get just as much media attention – such as that time when the Hotel was bombed. If you believe that Western media does not give attention to worldwide atrocities then I dont think you watch Western media all too much. Whenever I turn into CNN, BBC, SKY etc I am always hearing new reports of death in areas like Syria to which you mention.

So I do take exception to your stance and I would rather ask that you appreciate that life is lost across the world all the time and I would rather you seek to reframe from comparing these situations by insinuating that some tragedies are more significant than others and appreciate the gravity of the lives that have been affected across the world by this one event.

2 replies
User Profile: ladylazarus1971
ladylazarus1971 June 15th, 2016

@JasRob25 Thank you for an in-depth and very thoughtful response to some points being raised in this thread. As an American, I also often wonder how people in countries other than the USA have international events covered based on how "free" or "government sponsored" their media outlets are. I have a few non-American friends here on 7 Cups whom I bug to no end asking questions about what is or is not coverd by their own medias, and whether those countries' perceptions of the events differ from what I see in the US.

Based on the info I learn from members who live in Singapore, the UK, Columbia, and Germany, I am led to believe that many non-American news outlets may often focus a bit more often on American incidents than one might expect. However, my own observations when watching American news networks is that they have a tendency to cover very many stories on a global scale. Every national news program I watch contains stories *every single day* providing information about both disturbing and heartening social/political events from every corner of the world.

Americans tend to be seen as pushing their nose invasively into everyone else's business world-wide-- and that is a perception with which I do not at all disagree. But, that additionally means a large percentage of our citizens also CARE extremely deeply for the well-being, health, and happiness of all of Earth's citizens. As a result, our news covers as many international issues/happenings as they have time to do. People hold rallies decrying the kidnappings of young girls by the out-of-control Boko Haram faction. Politicians organize government initiatives to lend aid to war-torn areas. US-based charities gather whatever monies, services, and goods they can to send to whatever people might be in need of them at any point on the planet.

I am sometimes regretful about the amount of focus that is given across the globe to American concerns, or even embarrassed by my country's need to put its metaphorical fingers into every other nation's pies. But, as much as I am chagrined about America's meddling nature, I am never upset by the continuing outpouring of support and love so many of us feel for all people who are suffering or struggling, no matter their nationality. For this facet of American personality, I am actually pretty darn proud.

User Profile: FrankJager30
FrankJager30 June 15th, 2016

@DuckDuckGo @JasRob25 @ladylazarus1971

Saying that more attention should be given to other victims does not mean the victims of Orlando shooting should get any less attention.
It is said that the amount of compassion we give depends on how expected a murder is.. now even if this is true, do you realize how sad this is? we're not asking people to show surprise! we're asking them to show equal empathy and compassion.
I know many people refuse to admit it but any attack in a 1st world country gets much more attention, and I understand how scary it is for them. People in 1st world countries consider themselves to be in the safest places on this planet, and when an attack takes place in Paris, or Belgium, or USA, then this is definitely scary for those people in these countries as well because well, it shows them they are not as safe as they thought. Few weeks after Paris attacks a huge bombing took place in Lebanon and killed a close number of innocents, I can give countless examples, and I can easily guess none of you heard about them, and it is alright for you as individuals, but what about this "International" support website?


I also understand that it is risky for the website owner or managers to start a forum thread in the support of Syria for example, lots of political arguments would start. but it is still a shame. the average of civilians dying in Syria is 46 people every single day for 5 years now. 46 civilians including children every 46 day according to the official counts. I want each one of you to ask yourself if it shocks you equally to how other "famous" attacks did.

After all, we are all responding to posts, I truly understand that we all as individuals cannot focus on everything going on in all countries at the same time. But there is no excuse for why this website never had any forum thread in the support of victims in other countries. I'm not discussing anyone's intentions, but let's not always try to find something like the media to blame it on because it solves nothing, and it does not make us feel better, they need to understand the consequences, this is simply unfair no matter how many excuses you can list here, and unfairness does not bring love, it brings hate. All victims are equally human beings regardless of their nationality, race, religion, or sexuality. No one would disagree with me on that, but I personally do not see it represtend, not by this website, nor by social media in general.

It is nice that reasons and factors have been discussed, but much much more responsibility and education are needed. I am truly sorry for all the victims whether they are located in USA, Yemen, Africa, Syria, France, or anywhere on earth even in the middle of the sea.

load more
User Profile: KrinkTheMellowUnicorn
KrinkTheMellowUnicorn June 16th, 2016

@DuckDuckGo - i think you make a valid point and the lack of attention to mass killing in other contexts is unfair and distorting.

there are flaws in everyone's culture and media environments that shape what we hear about, what we are taught to care about, and how we feel about the news we see.

9 replies
User Profile: BridgetAileen
BridgetAileen June 16th, 2016

@KrinkTheMellowUnicorn and others participating in this thread,

Perhaps there could be a place in the forums where members could go to ask for and give support for incidents happening worldwide. For instance, if I heard of something that happened in Syria, India (whether it be humaln on human or natural disaster) I could go to that forum and post a message of support for those affected. I could also go to that forum to post about something that has affected me or my area. That way other members could offer messages of understanding and support. Just relatively unorganized thought that flitted through my brain as I was reading. I'm not sure if it would work. Just a thought that came up as I was reading how others were feeling.

8 replies
User Profile: KrinkTheMellowUnicorn
KrinkTheMellowUnicorn June 16th, 2016

@BridgetAileen - I like this idea. It sounds like it might be a sort of community project?

cc @laura

4 replies
User Profile: BridgetAileen
BridgetAileen June 19th, 2016

@KrinkTheMellowUnicorn, Yes, I saw it as being very community driven. There are so many things that happen every day that may never make the news. That doesn't mean that members of our community may not be affected. It could be an incident in the apartment complex not far from my house. Perhaps someone I knew was involved. No one is going to hear about that on the news except maybe local news...maybe...depending on what else happens that day to be covered on the broadcast. So I would be able to come seek support or express how the incident affected me. I could go to this forum/thread to see if there were other community members who needed a shoulder or listening ear. We can each bring up things that affect us or are important to us.

The loving support that has been expressed on this thread is so wonderful. How wonderful it would be to always have it available.

3 replies
User Profile: ladylazarus1971
ladylazarus1971 June 19th, 2016

@BridgetAileen I LOVE your brainstorm here! I can see it being so incredibly helpful/ cathartic for so many people.

1 reply
User Profile: BridgetAileen
BridgetAileen June 21st, 2016

@ladylazarus1971, awwww! Thanks so much.

I

load more
User Profile: KrinkTheMellowUnicorn
KrinkTheMellowUnicorn June 22nd, 2016

@BridgetAileen - it seems like a great (and loving) idea to me

load more
load more
User Profile: Laura
Laura OP June 16th, 2016

@BridgetAileen

I like this idea. What about this forum section? Could those conversations be in there?

2 replies
User Profile: ladylazarus1971
ladylazarus1971 June 16th, 2016

@Laura and of course, @BridgetAileen... What a super idea! I might worry that it could become politicized and incindiary if not strictly "controlled" (horrible word, but couldn't decide on anything else that worked). But, I believe such a thread would be of tremendous benefit to the community. And possibly a more objective/ less media-driven/ non-nation-specific way for all of our community members to air their concerns about whatever feelings they have about worldwide events that affect them.

Should the forum area not be able to add a separate category for emotional reactions to social/political events and our needs for emotional support due to them (which is a reasonable issue), perhaps we might be able to figure out what category most applies. How about a subcategory in any of the following areas; GET SUPPORT, CULTURAL CONNECTION, FORUM DISCUSSION GROUPS, TRAUMATIC EXPERIENCES COMMUNITY, or WORLD NEWS AND CURRENT EVENTS.

Thoughts, everyone?

1 reply
User Profile: BridgetAileen
BridgetAileen June 23rd, 2016

@ladylazarus1971, @Laura, @KrinkTheMellowUnicorn,

Cultural Connection, or any of the other forums that ladylazarus1971 mentioned could work. I'm sure y'all will know the perfect spot. I just read a message that moved my heart and made me wonder what we might do as a community to reach out. Whether or not you feel it can be implemented or how and where are matters that I trust to your knowledge and wisdom.

load more
load more
load more
load more
load more
June 14th, 2016

the world has always been full of hatred and bloodshed and always will be, but i am sending light to the people of florida and all around the world who are suffering. i pray often now. pray for peace in your communities, smile more at people, say encouraging things.