Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Orlando Nightclub Tragedy - Discussion & Support

User Profile: Laura
Laura June 12th, 2016

Early this morning a mass shooting occured at a gay night club in Orlando, Florida. Recent reports site that 50 people were killed and many more injured.

If you need more information - here are some of the news articles I have come across:

New York Times Article

CNN News Article

I am deeply saddened by this news report and wanted to create a space for us to talk about this tragedy and support one another. Please share how you are feeling here and lets have a supportive discussion that lifts our hearts up and honors those who have been impacted.

203
User Profile: BunnyEars61926
BunnyEars61926 June 12th, 2016

My thoughts go out to the victims as well as there family, friends, and all of us who are saddened by this cowardly act of violence. No matter what orientation, religion, or race it is important to respect each other. I wish there would be a way to keep the world at peace without these incidences but I get that's not realistic. What we can do is try and be strong together and always show our support for those affected by these acts

User Profile: SariannaMoon
SariannaMoon June 12th, 2016

As someone who frequent clubs and am a bi-sexual woman this is heartbreaking and disturbing. The breathtaking amount of hate in your heart it takes to commit these type of acts is astounding. Theres too much hate in this world and not enough love, tolerance and understanding. My thoughts are with the victims and their families. sadbroken heart

1 reply
User Profile: Protocol417
Protocol417 June 16th, 2016

@SariannaMoon When I heard the news, I had just walked in from a night at the club with my friends. Most of us are bi or otherwise somewhere on the scale, and that club night in particular is friendly towards transgendered people so there was quite a few there, as well. These clubs are meant as a safe space, a place where people can drop their guard and have fun without worries. This was an act of terror in that it takes away that feeling of safety.

But I think that the one saving grace is that it has exposed how much this country has changed, even just in my relatively short lifetime. The anti-LGBT people are growing quieter. Support is flowing in from all over. I live in a small, quiet suburb with a large Hispanic population and there will be a vigil on Friday. The event page has been filled with people in my community pouring out their condolences, pledging to be there, offering to bring tissues and rainbow flags to pass out. It is beautiful. The times are changing, for the better :)

load more
User Profile: Fallonbird14
Fallonbird14 June 12th, 2016

I'm not a very smart person but I was really relieved today as my facebook notices kept updating over and over with friends in Orlando telling me they were safe. I didn't know there was a way to do that on FB so it was cool but just nice that I didn't have to worry about everyone, they checked in and now we all know who is safe. I know here on 7 cups we don't know personal details of people but for me to know my personal friends are safe was a relief today.

User Profile: AffyAvo
AffyAvo June 12th, 2016

It's a horrible tragedy and it's sad that one person can do so much damage. The one person does not speak for the majority though. There was one inflicting harm while many others did things to help. They can't repair the lost lives, but there are many caring people out there!

User Profile: Alia2
Alia2 June 12th, 2016

It's really sad , 50 humans have been killed today.

My deepest sympathies go out to all families affected by this & to all US people.

Our hearts & prayers go out to all of you. Sending love and support from Egypt.

RIP

User Profile: GreyClouds1Q84
GreyClouds1Q84 June 12th, 2016

It makes me sad. The world is full of so much hate. And this tragedy is only perpetuating more hate.

1 reply
User Profile: amisfit
amisfit June 13th, 2016

@GreyClouds1Q84 RIP

load more
User Profile: AmberPurr
AmberPurr June 12th, 2016

It makes me so scared, I am in the LGBT+ community and it terrifies me how much people want to hurt us

1 reply
User Profile: AmberPurr
AmberPurr June 12th, 2016

I have a friend in Orlando, I was so scared for her when I heard what happened, none of us should be fearing for their friends lives or their own lives because of what gender they love.

load more
User Profile: Xoebella
Xoebella June 12th, 2016

I didnt know my heart could bend and break for people I didnt know but thats not important. They have lost everything but their identity✨✨

User Profile: junkyrebel13
junkyrebel13 June 12th, 2016

This tragedy is how I found this website , and what is causing a lot of recent problems for me.

1 reply
User Profile: BunnyEars61926
BunnyEars61926 June 12th, 2016

@junkyrebel13 I'm sorry to hear this I hope you are able to get a lot of support from everyone here on 7 cups as well as from any loved ones you know. Stay strong 💙

load more
User Profile: amerespeck
amerespeck June 12th, 2016

Such a heartbreaking thing :( I seriously don't understand how someone would do something so cruel. This needs to stop. My prayers and my heart go out to all the families for the loss of their loved ones. <3