Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What coping mechanisms do you find helpful to ease the daily pain or stress caused from your disability?

User Profile: Emily619
Emily619 November 14th, 2017

Hey everyone! Despite the daily stresses and pain a disability can cause someone, it can be a huge relief to find peace in a coping mechanism. Although I personally don't have a disability, I do have Tourette's Syndrome, and I often find that if I distract myself from my tics, it can be help immensely. Some coping mechanisms I personally find helpful are sketching and art in general, writing, listening to calming music, reading a hard-to-put-down book, watching an interesting movie, and even skiing when the season is around! However, everyone is different. What coping mechanisms do you find helpful?

107
User Profile: Mellietronx
Mellietronx November 18th, 2017

@Emily619 Sipping on tea actually helps me

1 reply
User Profile: Emily619
Emily619 OP November 18th, 2017

@Mellietronx

Tea can be very calming! What's your favorite flavor?

1 reply
User Profile: Mellietronx
Mellietronx November 19th, 2017

@Emily619 green, chamomile,chai, and Postive Energy by Yogi

1 reply
User Profile: Emily619
Emily619 OP November 19th, 2017

@Mellietronx

I've never had chamomile tea, but chai tea is definitely great!

1 reply
User Profile: Mellietronx
Mellietronx November 19th, 2017

@Emily619 Chamomile is a relaxing tea :) Great for before bed or when you are stressed out.

load more
User Profile: Sunshinelollipops81
Sunshinelollipops81 January 1st, 2018

@Mellietronx

Chai is heaven, especially like the kick of black pepper added to the usual mix

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: vivelespatates
vivelespatates November 19th, 2017

breathing is definitly a good one

1 reply
User Profile: Emily619
Emily619 OP November 19th, 2017

@vivelespatates

Yes; the best!

load more
User Profile: tluper6491
tluper6491 November 19th, 2017

Youtube, movies, music, video games, etc. Writing when I feel creative or energetic.

3 replies
User Profile: Emily619
Emily619 OP November 19th, 2017

@tluper6491

Those are great mechanisms as well! Do you have a favorite movie?

2 replies
User Profile: tluper6491
tluper6491 November 19th, 2017

@Emily619

I do but I'm afraid to say stuff I like because I don't want to be judged for it. People can be very critical about your taste in movies, music, etc. and jump to concluions about the kind of person you are for it.

1 reply
User Profile: Emily619
Emily619 OP November 19th, 2017

@tluper6491

Aww, no need to be scared here. We're definitely non-judgemental heart

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: NYRican19179
NYRican19179 November 19th, 2017

Constantly reminding myself that I'm not alone that there are others out there like me. I don't have to be perfect ( though I have to keep reminding myself of that). And plus there are those who have it worst than I am. Finding ways to make my daily life easier.

7 replies
User Profile: Emily619
Emily619 OP November 19th, 2017

@LatinNightSky

I love that!! Self-love is so, so important, and never forget that

6 replies
User Profile: NYRican19179
NYRican19179 November 19th, 2017

@Emily619 Thanks I try not to forget, it's not always easy.

5 replies
User Profile: Emily619
Emily619 OP November 19th, 2017

@LatinNightSky

You're welcome, anytime! Does setting daily reminders help?

4 replies
User Profile: NYRican19179
NYRican19179 November 19th, 2017

@Emily619 somewhat not always

3 replies
User Profile: Emily619
Emily619 OP November 19th, 2017

@LatinNightSky

Are there other ways that you find helpful to remind you of your great worth?

2 replies
User Profile: NYRican19179
NYRican19179 November 19th, 2017

@Emily619 people that know me personally tell me. Sometimes.

1 reply
User Profile: Emily619
Emily619 OP November 19th, 2017

@LatinNightSky

That's great!! Doing everything you can to remind yourself daily of your worth is so important heart

load more
load more
load more
load more
load more
load more
load more
User Profile: Willendorf2017
Willendorf2017 November 21st, 2017

Napping

1 reply
User Profile: Emily619
Emily619 OP November 21st, 2017

@Willendorf2017

Oh yes, the best!

load more
User Profile: caringShoulder14
caringShoulder14 February 13th, 2018

i always like to see other peoples coping ideas to give me new ideas. these are all wonderful ways to cope

1 reply
User Profile: Emily619
Emily619 OP February 13th, 2018

@caringShoulder14

I agree laugh

load more
User Profile: Ariverofflowinghope
Ariverofflowinghope February 13th, 2018

play with my brothers

2 replies
User Profile: Emily619
Emily619 OP February 13th, 2018

@mariesd123

I like that idea! How old are they?

1 reply
User Profile: Ariverofflowinghope
Ariverofflowinghope February 13th, 2018

@Emily619 my brothers are 16 and 25

load more
load more
User Profile: amazingLove26
amazingLove26 February 13th, 2018

I know you have had a lot of replies recently, disability can be incredibly frustrating can't it? I recently read a Christian self-help book by Philip Yancey called "Where is God when it hurts?" which was enlightening for me.

Personally, I have learnt to smile through the pain, thank those who are helping and give back to others through listening and being supportive.

1 reply
User Profile: Emily619
Emily619 OP February 13th, 2018

@amazingLove26

Books are definitely so helpful, thank you for the recommendation smiley I'm sure it'll help many laugh

User Profile: caringShoulder14
caringShoulder14 April 10th, 2018

@amazingLove26 that sounds like an interesting read!

load more
User Profile: RedSinner20
RedSinner20 February 18th, 2018

For me, listening and making music, is a huge relief, which deffinetly helped and still helps me to cope with it :)

2 replies
User Profile: Emily619
Emily619 OP February 18th, 2018

@RedSinner20

Those are awesome! What genres do you listen to and what instruments do you play?

1 reply
User Profile: RedSinner20
RedSinner20 February 18th, 2018

@Emily619

Hiya!

I actually like all genres, depending on my mood, so I can't really choose, it goes from classical to rock :)

I play bass, acoustic and electric guitar, piano, violin and I used to play the drums.

It's just awesome to Be able to put all your emotions into music :) I love it

load more
load more
User Profile: Abdallah2017
Abdallah2017 February 19th, 2018

Focus on what you have not what you lost?