Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What coping mechanisms do you find helpful to ease the daily pain or stress caused from your disability?

User Profile: Emily619
Emily619 November 14th, 2017

Hey everyone! Despite the daily stresses and pain a disability can cause someone, it can be a huge relief to find peace in a coping mechanism. Although I personally don't have a disability, I do have Tourette's Syndrome, and I often find that if I distract myself from my tics, it can be help immensely. Some coping mechanisms I personally find helpful are sketching and art in general, writing, listening to calming music, reading a hard-to-put-down book, watching an interesting movie, and even skiing when the season is around! However, everyone is different. What coping mechanisms do you find helpful?

107
User Profile: tluper6491
tluper6491 November 7th, 2019

Looking forward to death and knowing it'll all be over eventually. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

2 replies
User Profile: Emily619
Emily619 OP November 7th, 2019

@tluper6491

While death is inevitable, it's important to make the most of the time we have remaining because life is short in the grand scheme. I remember I heard Bill Nye (the Science Guy) spoke about this issue, and he said something along the lines of that because life if so short in the grand scheme, it makes him cherish it more and motivates him to help others smiley

1 reply
User Profile: tluper6491
tluper6491 November 10th, 2019

@Emily619

I can't make the most of my time without a magical cure for my disability so I can work and drive and actually matter in life instead of being a worthless unemployable unlovable burden with no value. And even if that happened I'd have to change the town I live in because there's literally nothing to do here except drugs. My life can't be changed or improved so regardless of how short and precious life is it's long and useless for me.

load more
User Profile: Ableme34
Ableme34 November 7th, 2019

@tluper6491

Hi sorry the vote was by mistake. Cant undo it somehow...you are so precious!

Only one like you! The world deserves to know the beauty that is you! All the best!

1 reply
User Profile: tluper6491
tluper6491 November 10th, 2019

@Ableme34

There was only one Hitler too. Being unique is not good.

load more
load more
User Profile: Jem7Cups
Jem7Cups November 10th, 2019

I like to have a nice hot bath to relax my muscles. Only problem for me is my bones dislocate, and they're really isn't much that you can do when it gets to that point ☹️ but I do cope with it well

User Profile: KyleB23
KyleB23 November 25th, 2019

I play guitar a lot. Ive played for 33 years and it gives me a way to vent my emotions. I broke my hand in my accident but have managed to adapt my playing.

I used to play cricket before my injury. I was a bowler and having to have a shoulder reconstruction I cant do this, so I watch it on TV a lot.

I also give my Mum a call and chat with her.

User Profile: Tyedyedbutterfly65
Tyedyedbutterfly65 November 28th, 2019

For me it depends on what I am dealing with like Headaches- Rest my eyes, use cold compresses or sometimes warm if it is is muscle tension. Drinking lots of water.

Distractions- Movies and Music, Being on the site helping others.

Music for sure.. Playing a game online.

Self Positive Talk, Journaling .

Talking on the phone.

User Profile: Ableme34
Ableme34 May 15th, 2020

Whenever something happens which is bad in my book

I put an alarm for myself which is my worrying hour.

After that I say one thing I'm grateful for in that event and move forward!

User Profile: Foxelm
Foxelm May 24th, 2020

I hang up things my friends and my boyfriend have given me and remind myself that no matter what, they love me and don't define me because of my disabilities. I remind myself I am loved and the care about me, not my disability

User Profile: orangeicebox
orangeicebox June 8th, 2020

I enjoy viewing art, listening to music, and drawing. These help remind myself I'm still me despite my disability.

To help deal with my pain I make sure to drink my protein shake, eat enough protein, sometimes CBD oil, hot bath to soak in, stretching, and talking about it.