3 Things to Do When a Family Member Won’t Change Their Toxic Behavior
"Understand that you can’t force your loved one to change.
Reminding yourself that what your family member does (or doesn’t) do is largely out of your control can be a helpful first step in diminishing your distress. For example, maybe your parent spends their money in ways you don’t approve of and then asks you to loan them some cash to cover their bills, which makes you extremely frustrated that they won’t set and stick to a budget. Or perhaps your sibling always shuts down in the face of conflict and you’re left wishing they’d learn how to communicate better. Regardless of the particular pattern you wish your loved one would break, telling yourself statements like, “Old habits are familiar,” and “Doing something different isn’t as easy as it seems” can help you reframe the situation and start to release your expectations of the other person, which can be incredibly freeing.
Have direct, honest conversations with them (as scary as that might sound).
Just because you realize you can’t change someone, it doesn’t mean you can’t speak up about your needs and protect your well-being. But directly addressing difficult issues and setting boundaries with family members can be intimidating. It can be easy to tell yourself you’ll wait until they do something really egregious or to think they’ll never change (so why even bother?), but that does both of you a disservice. A much more effective strategy: Respond to things as they happen or soon after. We might wait until we have 20 examples of something to recognize and address it. But if someone has done something three times, it’s a pattern.
Speaking up early on can prevent resentment from building and help you feel less powerless in the situation. You can’t control how your loved one will react to your boundaries, but by kindly and clearly communicating your needs as soon as possible, you’re taking charge of the only thing you do have control over—yourself.
Learn to accept who they are—and what they’re capable of—today.
Knowing you can’t change someone is one thing, but coming to terms with who they are can be quite another challenge—especially when it comes to the people closest to us. Acceptance isn’t easy, but it makes life more peaceful. You can love your family and have deep wounds due to those relationships. But fighting against acceptance creates continual chaos in relationships.
That’s not to say your loved one will never change, nor does accepting who they are mean you have to put up with their behavior if it’s abusive or otherwise harmful. Again, you can try talking to them and see where it gets you, but you may also need to draw firm boundaries.
It can be a deeply painful realization that someone you love can’t meet your emotional needs, but shifting your narrative from “they won’t do x, y, z” to “they can’t do x, y, z” can bring compassion for the other person—and, ultimately, inner peace."
Read the full article on Self

✨Takeaway: Acceptance is ultimately about recognizing that another person’s behavior is out of your control. You can’t force your loved one to change their toxic behavior.
✨Reflection: Have you ever had a toxic family member?
#Toxic #Family #Behavior #Boundaries
If you liked this article, you may also enjoy: "What to Do When You Can’t Get Help for a Loved One"
@innateJoy9602
yes had 3 toxic siblings ( 2 addicts one alcoholic ) and i sent them tee shirts for Christmas
that said the "*** whine and moan club " ..................as everything was a crisis and nothing was their fault ..........
never saw or spoke to them again until our mom passed ........
you can't change people but when they are destructive and bad influences distance yourself and your family
@toughTiger6481
That must have been incredibly difficult for you <3
I agree with you though, it’s important to prioritize your own well-being and the well-being of your family by setting healthy boundaries. It's admirable that you tried to maintain a connection with your siblings by sending them Christmas gifts, but ultimately, you had to make the difficult decision to distance yourself from them. I’m proud of you for making those steps. I know it couldn’t have been easy. 💜
I have stopped communicating with my mother completely. She is a narcissist who only cares about herself being a victim. If I don’t feed her that, then I could drop off the face of the earth. Might as well not have a mother at all, which is better than trying to beg her for attention. I’m so glad to have finally come to this place!! I’m free.
I don’t have a father, and my gma is 93. I focus on my beautiful children who thrive bc I refused to be anything like my mother. They are remarkable to me, and I broke the cycle of abuse. Yay!! 😊
@yardcarrot
It takes strength and courage to make the difficult decision to cut off contact with a parent. But, I hear why it was for the best. It's lovely to hear that you have broken the cycle of abuse and are focusing on your beautiful children who thrive under your care. You should be proud of yourself for taking such a positive step in creating a healthy and nurturing environment for your family. <3 Sometimes cutting ties with toxic people is the healthiest thing we can do for ourselves and our loved ones.💜
@innateJoy9602
Hi Joy! 😊❤️ Many thanks for such a great forum post! I enjoyed reading it!
*high fives* 😊 and *hugs* ❤️
@SparkyGizmo
Really appreciate it Sparky!
Many hugs back :) 💜
@innateJoy9602
❤️❤️❤️
@innateJoy9602
Thank you for the article, I enjoyed reading it.
I do believe at a certain point in life, their behaviour isn't a choice. It becomes their nature. Not just us, even they themselves are powerless to change it.
The only question that remains then is whether we are generous enough to sacrifice our wellbeing to allow/accept the toxicity or walk away.