Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I need medical help but I’m afraid of what my mom will say

User Profile: greenPlane2706
greenPlane2706 June 16th, 2021

I’m still in my teen years, 15 to be exact. I’ve been feeling miserable and horrible for a long while now, I’ve also done horrible things to myself that I should not have ever done. It wasn’t until another breakdown I had where I actually almost died when I decided that enough was enough and I needed to speak to someone. I told my aunt, she told my mom, I went to see a psychologist . This is where the family issue comes in.. My mom has a “unique” view on mental illnesses, she says you have to look and act a certain way if you have a mental problem, the reason why she doesn’t see me “act a certain way” is because I hide everything from my family. I want them to see me as the weird, wacky, girl they know and not some miserable self-loathing prick. The psychologist said I showed a lot of symptoms of depression and severe anxiety, even prescribing me to a doctor and telling me I needed medicine before I should talk to someone. I thought my mom would finally get that I was not okay, but I was terribly wrong. She kept asking how I could feel such way since I’m “only in the house” and that my parents aren’t fighting, that I had no reason to feel like not living. Just a while ago I had another attack, it was one of the worst ones I have ever had. I couldn’t breathe, I was gasping for air, I was on the verge of passing out. My best friend told me I needed to tell my mom that I really need a doctor before my mind breaks and I enter psychosis or something like that. I really want to but I know my mom will say something to make me back out again, shutting away. I don’t want to wait until its too late and my mind does break under the pressure and horrible feeling I have in my head, but I’m too much of a coward to tell my mom. Please, someone help me, I want to know what I should do.

12
User Profile: MistyMagic
MistyMagic June 16th, 2021

@greenPlane2706 Hey there welcome to 7 Cups. I just read your post, that must have taken a lot of energy for you, I hope that putting things into words helped in some way? I also wanted to let you know that if you want a listener to talk to then just message me.

Listening - One Step At A Time!

User Profile: greenPlane2706
greenPlane2706 OP June 16th, 2021

I just messaged you. It would help with someone to talk to about this, definitely.

User Profile: greenPlane2706
greenPlane2706 OP June 16th, 2021

Umm, I’m trying to open the messages with you but it doesn’t seem to be letting me. Is this a common problem in this app?

User Profile: MistyMagic
MistyMagic June 16th, 2021

@greenPlane2706 I have your messages and I have replied, sometimes the app gliches, maybe try refreshing?

Listening - One Step At A Time!

load more
User Profile: greenPlane2706
greenPlane2706 OP June 16th, 2021

I could read a bit of your message, thought every time I try to open it, it exits me out. It keeps saying something about how match all isn’t a function? I’m so sorry, I’ve never used this app before.

User Profile: MistyMagic
MistyMagic June 16th, 2021

@greenPlane2706 Oh lol, then I have no idea what that is. I'm really sorry about that. We can raise a support ticket.

Listening - One Step At A Time!

User Profile: greenPlane2706
greenPlane2706 OP June 16th, 2021

A support ticket? Would that help it? Maybe I could try deleting and reinstalling the app.

User Profile: greenPlane2706
greenPlane2706 OP June 16th, 2021

No, it doesn’t seem to work. I guess I can’t really do anything about it, unfortunately.

User Profile: MistyMagic
MistyMagic June 16th, 2021

@greenPlane2706 I'm so sorry about this, try this link https://www.7cups.com/@MistyMagic

Listening - One Step At A Time!

load more
load more
load more
load more
User Profile: rockym
rockym June 16th, 2021

@greenPlane2706

Hi, I have two children (19 and 22) and there is a history of mental illness of each and every type in grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. I myself am bipolar I and although I take medication, I also have break through anxiety after varying events. Both my kids have gone though what you are going through and every single one of my friends have children who have been in the same position. I know your mom has difficulty for some reason. I wish she would share with you her internal feelings, but at the moment it is important you get the help you need.

I typically suggest that you write your mom a note/letter. Tell her when these feelings first started, what you are experiencing and that you are only 15 and really need her help. Your friend was right when they talked about psychosis. When anxiety and depression aren't addressed, the brain often tries to make sense of things and unfortunately it can go in the wrong direction. I suggest you are very honest with her. If you have suicidal thoughts, write that down too. Let her know that you want to be productive in school and life, but you are only a kid and need some guidance.

Sometimes when a parent reads a letter without having to have the conversation back and forth, they are forced to absorbed the information and it gives them some time to process it. Also, medication doesn't have to be forever. Both my kids have taken medication for ADHD and depression and at this point, only one is taking an antidepressant. They have both learned what the out of control feelings are and how medication helps. They also know it is always there if they feel they are reaching that point again. Write the letter today. Let us know how things are. We do care.

User Profile: bestEast2648
bestEast2648 June 18th, 2021

You need to call the Psychologist back that you saw and tell them your Mom did NOT follow through with getting you to the Dr. and ask them what should you do now? Also, remind them of the breakdown that you almost died. I do not know if you have a cell phone but when you have to leave the message with a Nurse, go ahead and leave a detailed message and explain that your mom did not follow up with the Psychologists recommendation and it is getting worse. That should take care of this problem. God bless you.

User Profile: crimsonPapaya8097
crimsonPapaya8097 June 20th, 2021

Hi I’m so sorry ur going through this right now, I really am. While I am not in ur position and Could never really understand exactly what ur going thru, I am here to tell u things will get better. I am 19 years old and experienced something of a similar nature when I was younger. I too was always hiding things from tm parents, it did not make things better. Definitely call ur psychologist or pediatrician, whoever u feel more comfortable speaking with, and tell them again about your episodes and that your mom did not follow through. You can also try speaking directly to her. Sometime it is just better to let everything out in the open, let all the emotions out, u don’t realize how much you are holding in. You deserve to be heard and get the help you need, I am thinking of you and praying things get better. Please don’t give up