Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

One thing I wish my family did differently is__

User Profile: Hope
Hope August 3rd, 2023

Hi everyone! I hope you are well. People tend to have complicated relationships with families. For some its a love-hate relationship and for others, it borders on one side or the other. Regardless as human beings we harbour many wishes.


When you reflect on your family life, what do you wish was done differently?

41
User Profile: teacuuupux3
teacuuupux3 August 3rd, 2023

personally, i wish they (but dad specifically) didnt force me to be someone i dont wanna be, aka: an engineer

User Profile: wonderfulPeace7423
wonderfulPeace7423 August 6th, 2023

@teacuuupux3

I understand your situation,im in pretty similar one☺.

User Profile: teacuuupux3
teacuuupux3 August 6th, 2023

@wonderfulPeace7423

oh...i see

User Profile: Helgafy
Helgafy August 10th, 2023

@teacuuupux3

How nice is that tea that wonderful can understand. Then maybe you can write to him since he's a listener and a teenager too.

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: SoulPitstop
SoulPitstop August 6th, 2023

When you can't change what's already happened, don't carry that weight forward to the upcoming event.

Either improvise with what you have atpresent or start from scratch. Worrying will colapse and confuse.

User Profile: IntoTheMountains
IntoTheMountains August 10th, 2023

@SoulPitstop

My way of not carrying it forward is to not have a family of my own. I have enough trouble dealing with the issues I can't change from back then, and I won't put them into the future, especially on an innocent person

load more
User Profile: wonderfulPeace7423
wonderfulPeace7423 August 6th, 2023

@Hope

My family is higly introverted becaue of which i didnt get much exposure in my early years,i d wish they were more outgoing and that they d value the importance of family bonding on vacations and other quality time spent together.

User Profile: sincereSpruce7552
sincereSpruce7552 August 9th, 2023

I wish my mom would listen to me, like really listen. I feel like any time I go to her with a problem she always feels like it isn't big or significant enough or takes it as me questioning her parenting choices. She only wants to help as long as it is convenient for her and anytime I get in her way I am simply ignored or overlooked. I know adulthood too comes with its own problems and I'm sure she had deal with stuff too but sometimes I wish she would just look at stuff from my point of view and understand that Im struggling too.


load more
User Profile: princesaluna
princesaluna August 9th, 2023

My family is very broken. My mother had me and my other two younger siblings at a very young age, before her and my dad ever even talked about being married. They broke up after I turned four or five, and my mom was left to care for us by herself for a few years. She found a husband, divorced, and then found another.

I would say I wish me and my siblings had been born when she was older and mature enough to handle having kids, but more so I wish she hadn’t lost her mind from the whole ordeal. The path she chose ended up being detrimental to her mental health, as well as our whole families mental health. As of now I have no relationship with her, I tried to heal the 20 years of *** she made for us but she is not ready to face the consequences of her actions.

I guess my true wish is that she can take the time to see the pain she spread from her own unresolved pain so that she can salvage what’s left of her relationships with my younger siblings. She lost her chance with me but for my siblings sake I hope she finds understanding and acceptance of the current situation.

User Profile: WinterRose9
WinterRose9 August 9th, 2023

The only thing, I wish I could have done differently was atleast finishing school, but at least finishing highschool while staying with a friend that i could trust or leave sooner to another family members house. tw: abuse.

The abuse was too much for me and i am beginning to recognize as an adult I have a passive behavior because i do not like confrontation due to the amount of emotional/physical and mental abuse i endured as a child through teenage years. Another thing I would have changed is being committed to myself and nobody else, as a parent with a toddler, i want the best for the both us and knowing the things I learned/know now i would I will always protect our hearts and stand up for the both of us now.

User Profile: Willendorf2017
Willendorf2017 August 9th, 2023

I wish that discipline wasn't in the form of physical punishment

User Profile: tae0was0here
tae0was0here August 9th, 2023

same :/

also does that not count as physical abuse?

User Profile: Willendorf2017
Willendorf2017 August 11th, 2023

@tae0was0here Yes, I would say so.

load more
load more
User Profile: NewYorker11
NewYorker11 August 9th, 2023

@Hope

one thing i wish my family did differently was communicate way more than we actually do, but sometimes people are busy in their day to day lives and things come up, so i accept the way things are now...

User Profile: IDontGetEnoughSleep
IDontGetEnoughSleep August 9th, 2023

I rlly wish my mom was less controlling and i wish she wasnt abusive

User Profile: Supreme97
Supreme97 August 9th, 2023

@HopeHope I wish my family was not so dysfunctional, toxic, and unstable. They make good times bad and bad times worse.