Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Sharing family recipes

User Profile: Hope
Hope September 26th, 2023

Hi everyone! I hope you are doing well. Most families tend to have some recipe they have perfected. It could be as simple as the best toast you have ever eaten to more complicated things like the best sourdough recipe.

Share your family recipes! (No need to spill family secrets, we can be attached to these recipes. You can share the ones you are comfortable with)


5
User Profile: pandanfe
pandanfe October 11th, 2023

@Hope

That sounds interesting 🤗 thank you for asking

I usually love having toast with peanut butter with few slices of banana over it... 

What about yours @Hope?

User Profile: soulsings
soulsings October 16th, 2023

@Hope great idea

This is a simple recipe my Scottish grandmother made on a cast iron pan on a hot plate in her apartment. No fancy equipment needed!

Scottish Scones

Full recipe. I cut in half and it came out nice.
2 Cups Flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cream tarter (if you don't have cream of tartar in the house, just use a couple of tsp. of baking powder in place of the soda and cream of tarter)
Sour milk (take 8 oz. of milk and add a couple of tsp. of white vinegar
2 tsp. sugar )optional)
currants (I use between a 1/2 cup and a cup.  I don't measure or raisins or chopped raisins can be used)

Make 2 balls adding flour to make so not sticky. flatten  and roll them out on a floured surface to desired thickness.....about 1/2", then cut them into triangles so have 6 or 8 scones (half batch gave me 4 scones)

You don't have to put any butter/grease in the pan. Put in cast iron fry pan preheated on low heat. On an electric stove this is about 1/4 turn of the temperature knob but better to have too low and cook longer than to burn them. 

Check to make sure they're not burning.  Usually takes about 10 minutes on each side.  Tap with your fingernail to make sure they sound "hollow" after both sides cooked.


User Profile: soulsings
soulsings October 17th, 2023

High Hat Popovers

I experimented for 20 years trying to get the popovers to stay up. They always sagged and flopped after coming out of the oven. I tried all the recipes I could find and ate a lot of the failures along with family. Finally I found by adding more egg whites and cooking them at a higher temp until they popped up high, then leaving them in a warm over 350 for 20 more minutes they finally stayed high.

Recipe for High Hat Popovers:

Decide what kind of cups or pans you will use. For highest popovers I use a commercial popover pan but I do not have nonstick https://www.amazon.com/Bellem.../dp/B00WX9KKTW/ref=sr_1_9....  If you are using oven proof well oiled or buttered cups instead of pan, fill them only half full and reduce cooking time if they get too dark. If you want really high popovers fill the cups fuller but put a cookie sheet  under them to catch the overflow which sometimes happens.

Move upper rack to lover position with 9-10 inch clearance from broiler coil or top of oven whichever is lower. Preheat oven to 450 and check with oven thermometer.

Beat with whip 5 Jumbo Egg Whites and 2 yolks until frothy. Add dash of salt or pinch of salt and 1 cup of milk (I use nonfat). Whip. Add a little at a time, 1 cup of white flour whipping gently.

Batter should have small lumps. Do NOT overbeat or they will be more like cake. Electric beaters overbeat so I use a whip.

I use either Pam oil spray or I put on Canola oil with pastry brush coating inside and top of cups or pan so they do not stick. Fill the cups (1/2 full) or popover pan with lip (3/4 full) and put in 450 degree oven for up to 20 minutes (popover pan) or 15 minutes for cups only 1/2 full.

If your oven has a viewing window, check that popovers are not too dark. If you open door for more than a second, popovers may fall. Turn temp to 350 and do Not open the oven leave in 15-20 minutes depending on how dark they are. Remove when done. Popovers should easily come out of pan or cups.

Serving warm is how I like them best, but leftover popovers can be kept in sealed bag in refrigerator and heated in toaster oven, NOT microwave if want firm popovers. Enjoy!