Is it weird now that I avoid an online friendship I used to care of? [sharing my story]
I used to care a lot about this online connection with my online friends but I realized it's like they've moved on. They ignored my chats for days to 1 week. They're posting actively on their profile while ignoring me.
Then I feel tired, I feel like I'm always online but ignored. I'm also tired of trying to engage with their post but rarely got their reply. "Did I type something wrong?" I always questioned that to myself every time they ignored me.
I feel like I'm happier when I'm offline from my online friends. I've shared about this story here too before.. I realized they made me feel anxious, not getting a reply from them made me anxious. I'm too scared to check they reply me or not. 🥲
So then I told them: "I will be away because I'm not feeling good." And until today I haven't check for their response I feel so lazy to check that online world.
It's weird no matter how long my rest from that social media, I still feel tired. After a break I come back then tired again which why I disappeared from them again. Am I a bad friend for this?
Thank you for hearing my story. Have a good day⛅ /night🌃
@hopefulencounter
Thank you for sharing your story. It’s awful to feel ignored. I once had a friend who I would “chase” after all the time. He said we were friends, but our schedules would rarely line up, even when I was very flexible. Being a quiet person (an introvert), I didn’t have much going on in my life, and he seemed to have lots going on. I started to feel bad about myself, so I stopped calling him and thinking up ways to get together. (I guess I was taking a break, but it also didn't feel as good as a break should.)
Eventually, I turned to activities that got me out of the house: riding my bicycle, spending a little time in nature, spending time in the beautiful parts of the city near where I lived. In time I met people like I have met here on 7cups, and I slowly started to make new friendships. My old friend is still around, “doing his thing”, but I no longer feel confused, disappointed, angry, and sad regarding that “friendship”.
Maybe you are going through something similar? Maybe there is something growing inside of you (a maturity) that your old friends can't relate to … and of course we doubt ourselves and think there is something wrong with us instead of believing we are right where we should be.
I might be way off, so forgive me if I’ve missed things in your story—but I would rather trust in your inner wisdom than your outer fears that is saying there is something wrong with you.
@FaithfulScout
hi thank you for sharing your opinion with me! Yes I think what I experienced right now is similar with what you experienced back then. I'm an introvert as well and I agree with how you say introverted people not having a lot of things going on, it's very relatable. I understand that my friends may be busy with their stuffs but I think ignoring them ignoring my messages for 1 week or more is way too much.
I'm actually ok if they give a really slow response, like maybe they respond after 1 week but no usually after that 1 week they just continued to ignore my previous messages..
Back then it's not like this, we're surely not as close as we used to be and I can feel it. Thank you for telling me to trust my inner wisdom than my outer fears, you really inspired me to be kinder by myself. And you're not missing anything from my story, it's all good. So thank you! :')
@hopefulencounter
Thank you for sharing your story. Please know that you're not a bad friend for distancing yourself from a place that was causing you distress. I can relate to this. I haven't been on my social for months. In a sense I don't feel so trapped on a huge circle of online friends.
I don't feel forced to crack jokes. I don't feel any pressure to just "be there". I don't feel as fake as I used to, and I'm trying to see things more clearly.
I'm not going back anytime soon... or maybe I won't bcus I just don't match their vibes, and don't feel like draining myself to adapt and be on the same loops. I think it's best not to force ourselves to be present just for others pleasure.
It's better to have fewer friends with whom you can at least be real and honest about your feelings. The real one's will stay in touch and genuinely won't care whether you're still in some group or not. they'll simply value your presence.
Sending lots of love your way 💕
I think* it's better 🤍
@fossilfellow
hi thank you for replying. It feels nice to know I'm not the only one who feels this way. I feel happy to hear that I'm not a bad friend from distancing myself from this distressing online friendship.
I agree with you now that we don't have to force ourselves to fit in. And I don't wanna be on the same loops as well.. That's why now I haven't say hi to them again. Thank you for sharing your experience with me and how you deal with it.
I'm sending a lot of love to you too. I really agree with what you said, it's better to have fewer friends who care about our presence than the ones that feel forced.
My advice to you is avoiding these people no matter how much the urge gets, I have chronic loneliness but honestly I try my very best to stay away from toxic people, they only mentally drain you more and more, my cousin last summer whenever we were out with his other cousin and my brother, I was always ignored, not included, almost never spoken to, yet I always went with them for some reason. This summer, I encountered my cousin again, he was really nice to me and I showed him my new vr and he really loved it so much, that's the only reason he invited me over once, and even when he invited me he just ended up leaving and not texting me back for so long, I ended up leaving and extremely hurt, we even had plans of seeing his friends, but you know what i changed my mind, it's not even worth it. I had seen the line being crossed when my little brother and his little brother were fighting each other for so long and I had so enough of my little brother being beaten, I took my stuff and little brother and we left, I ended up blocking him, and I'm never going to see his face again unless I'm seeing my grandmother. If you want to we can be friends, I have struggled so much with finding online friends, the only times I have had online friends were like 2 instances where 1 dude was mentally ill and beat his parents oftentimes, and the other was just lowkey dry and I didn't like him much, we extremely rarely text. Again I'd really love having you as my friend
@Doandregret
hi thank you for sharing your story and opinion with me. I'm sorry that this happened to you.
You're right that sometimes some people are only there when there's something that they need or want from us, that's really bad especially when they're showing their intention so clearly to us.
Then they never speak to us again after they get it. But it is what it is, we have to learn how to forgive and accept. Then we can stop that from hurting our feelings even more. My online friends weren't this ignorant toward me back then, I don't know what happened.
Sure we can be friends here on 7cups
I can relate I also had few online friends in covid and after covid. I was really close with some of them but every single one of the friendship broke down. So yeah not even one stayed the same and maybe it's life maybe it was my expectations or maybe it's because this is all online and doesn't compare to real life friends which I didn't have and I don't have even now. Hope you are doing okay. One pointer btw you are not a bad friend and reading your post it doesn't sound like friendship anymore so yeah don't overthink buddy.
@Wasted456 thank you for hearing me out and for sharing your opinion with me here. I agree with you, sometimes expectations can be too high. And it's also true online friendship is different than real friendship. Even my real friendships feel changing now, but at least they're still keeping in touch with me even if rare. So yeah.. Thank you, hugs for you 🫂🫂
You take care of yourself , alright? ❤
@hopefulencounter you are not alone in feeling like this. Online friendships can be complicated, and it's okay to feel the way you do. You are allowed to take all the break you want. However. As someone who also went through something similar, I would suggest you cut your losses. The thing is. Life keeps going ahead for everyone, and you can choose to move on with yours too. Sit down to your friend list. And give it a big cleanup. Delete everyone who is not reciprocating effort without a valid reason. It won't be a pleasant experience, but you will feel much better about yourself and your life later. You got this 🌻
@sadcat13 hi thank you for replying.. I agree with you I should cut off these people. It's kinda weird how they ignored me, then when I was about to leave they pulled me back in but then after a while ignored me again. I don't know since when I feel like it's better to avoid them..that caused me to rarely online on that site
@hopefulencounter yep. Sit down and delete them. No need to block or anything. Just unfriend them and keep going. But I would recommend you also don't neglect irl relationships. Reach out to friends, family or even people you used to hang out with but lost contact with. That will give you some solid socialising base
@sadcat13 thank you for your advice. I can't hang out with my real friends because they're out of town, I have one friend who's in the same town as me but she already got new friends. I'm really bad at this 😅
@hopefulencounter I mean, maybe you could meet the new friends and be their friend too? Use it as an opportunity to get to know them 😊
@sadcat13 it's difficult for me to find new friends because I'm no longer a student and I stay with my family most of the time. But I will try to be optimistic about this 😄
@hopefulencounter I mean, you don't have to push it. Try starting by reaching out to the friend you know just grew a bit apart with. Go get coffee or something. And then with time, it may happen you will naturally meet more of her other friends
@sadcat13 I see! That's a good idea. My friend is very introverted she rarely left her house to meet her friend but I will try to invite her to hang out with me.
thank you so much for hearing my story and giving me a lot of advices! 🥹
@hopefulencounter good luck to you 😊 my mom literally made a big friend group out of introducing her friends to each other when ocassions came up 😊 now those friends are each others friends too 😊 best about being an adult is, that we are not just stuck with the same people group like at school that is mostly closed, and people can mix up into a unique friendship cocktail 🍸
@sadcat13 that's so nice, thank you for wishing me good luck. 🥹 Have a good day/night! What you shared with me really helped me to get through this
@hopefulencounter 😊😊😊
