Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Wellness Wednesday: 4/3/24 "It's National Walking Day"!~

User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean April 3rd, 2024

HEY EVERYONE!

WELCOME TO "WELLNESS WEDNESDAY"!~

TODAY "WEDNESDAY APRIL 3RD, IS "NATIONAL WALKING DAY"!~ 👟🚶


🌞With Sedentary lifestyles and increasing health concerns, the importance of walking has never been more evident. "National Walking Day", celebrated annually on the "First Wednesday" in April, serves as a reminder to embrace this simple yet powerful activity!~


⭐️5 WAYS TO ADD MORE WALKING TO YOUR DAY 

  • Ask colleagues, friends or family to join you.
  • If you work remotely, take a conference call on the go.
  • If you have a pet, get moving together! Walking is a win-win for the health of you and your pet.
  • Take a family stroll after dinner.
  • Share a picture on social media using #WalkingDay

image_1712169502.png


👟 What is something that motivates you to get outdoors to walk?


🚶 Where is your "favorite place" to walk?


👟 Do you like to listen to Music or Podcasts when you walk?....(What type of music or podcast is your favorite to listen to)?


🚶 Who is your favorite person to walk with?


👟 How does Walking make you feel Physically, mentally, & emotionally?


20
User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean OP April 3rd, 2024

👟 What is something that motivates you to get outdoors to walk?....For me, its the weather. And also knowing I can get outdoors with my Pup and get him some activity too!


🚶 Where is your "favorite place" to walk?.... Nice green areas (like parks) with lots of sunshine and blue skies…. As well as near the water! (Like lakes, trails by the lake, or the Beach)! 


👟 Do you like to listen to Music or Podcasts when you walk?....(What type of music or podcast is your favorite to listen to)?.....Only if I'm by myself will I use music for motivation. And I love 80's music or anything with a good beat that gets me inspired to keep pushing. 


🚶 Who is your favorite person to walk with?....My dog and my hubby


👟 How does Walking make you feel Physically, mentally, & emotionally?.....Even on days when I might find it challenging depending on where I'm at or how long I walk, It always makes me feel good and feel accomplished!

User Profile: Tulipsmile
Tulipsmile April 3rd, 2024

@PoliteOcean

👟 What is something that motivates you to get outdoors to walk?

hmm I like in all way I don't think I need motivates haha but I can say I like walking with my brother and in rainy weather the most 
 Do you like to listen to Music or Podcasts when you walk?....(What type of music or podcast is your favorite to listen to)?
I wish I can but I always afriad to listen to music because of everything around me so I prefer to listen to the outside 

🚶 Who is your favorite person to walk with?

my brother and friend(sister) from unveristy .

👟 How does Walking make you feel Physically, mentally, & emotionally?

Lets say that I feel full happinnes during walking that I wish never comeback home :)


User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean OP April 4th, 2024

@Tulipsmile

Hey there Tulips!

Hmmm… I just have to ask what motivates you to walk in “rainy” weather?! 

I don’t blame you for Preferring to listen to the outside while walking!... Sometimes it’s nice to just take a simple quiet walk & enjoy the scenery and things around you! 

And it’s also nice that you have others to enjoy your walks with as well! 

That’s really great for you that you feel “happiness” during your walks. That’s what it’s all about! It should never feel like a chore! Enjoy! 


User Profile: Tulipsmile
Tulipsmile April 4th, 2024

@PoliteOcean

Ohh thank you for your words 🌷😇

To answer your question:

Okay When rain falls the rain drops laterally let's say clean the sky the air and everything around and I can feel ,hear,breathe the real nature while walking that is motivates for me 🤗

Even If I can go outside alot but when I can I do it 😁

User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean OP April 4th, 2024

@Tulipsmile

How nice! Great response. Thank you for sharing. :) 

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: Remina
Remina April 4th, 2024

The thing that makes it hard to do the walking is this dang summer heat in the spring

User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean OP April 4th, 2024

@HopieRemi

Heat can definitely be a challenge for some. 

Thankfully there are many ways to stay cool while walking! 

(Walking an “indoor” track, Doing Laps around the Mall or a Grocery store; And using cooling towels Or cooling fans as both are worn around the neck if you wish to stay outdoors)… 

When there’s a will to stay active, there’s always a way! 

User Profile: Remina
Remina April 4th, 2024

@PoliteOcean

Haha that is very true. I could not take my dog on a night walk because it started to RAIN. not just any rain but thunder so shes is mad and barking

User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean OP April 4th, 2024

@HopieRemi

Yeah much more important to keep the furbabys safe. There’s always today or other days! 

User Profile: Remina
Remina April 4th, 2024

@PoliteOcean

So very true ! and she was M A D! lol

load more
load more
load more
load more
User Profile: communicativePond1728
communicativePond1728 April 4th, 2024

@PoliteOcean

What is something that motivates you to get outdoors to walk?

Internal or intrinsic, and external or extrinsic motivators get me outdoors to walk. 

Today I did a lot of walking (maybe too much because I'm dealing with heatstroke right now 😅) but I made some plans to prevent that next time. But today I did a lot of walking because I've been indulging in a bit too much chocolate and cake and being pretty sedentary and because I noticed I was becoming very uncomfortable and upset or uninspired by my environment and had important things to do like banking and eating and doing a bit of socializing.

I tried to make it more fun by adding a stop at a couple of my favourite shops and allowing myself to invest in some items that really improved my environment and self care routines.



🚶 Where is your "favorite place" to walk?

My favourite place to walk is tied between a place I call 'fish point' because it's a little point on a lake at the end of a walking path where I saw a big fish and a trail high above the city with an amazing view.



👟 Do you like to listen to Music or Podcasts when you walk?....(What type of music or podcast is your favorite to listen to)?

I do kinda like to do this. I don't mind silence though either because then I can hear birds and whatnot. I usually listen to Gardenary or the Harvard Business Review. My favourite type of music right now is alternative indie/rock like Alt-j, synth pop like Agar Agar and boom bap like Flamingosis.



🚶 Who is your favorite person to walk with?




👟 How does Walking make you feel Physically, mentally,

& emotionally?


User Profile: communicativePond1728
communicativePond1728 April 4th, 2024

Lol I forgot to answer the rest. My favourite person to walk with is maybe my mom. And after a walk (minus heatstroke or joint pain haha) I just feel overall more capable and upbeat.

User Profile: communicativePond1728
communicativePond1728 April 4th, 2024

Also, after a good walk I sleep well and uninterrupted (again, barring heatstroke) and things that usually bother me don't really do so much anymore. If that's not magical tell me what is ✨

load more
User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean OP April 4th, 2024

@communicativePond1728


Hey there C.P.~ 

Oh no! (heatstroke)?! Please take it easy and keep cool! And be sure to get hydrated!’…. Glad to hear you are already thinking of ways to protect yourself the next time! 

But otherwise that’s great that you are trying to take care of yourself by getting outdoors and trying to get in walks to combat being too sedentary. Keep up the great work! 👍🏼

I think it’s an extra added bonus that you attempted to make it fun for yourself by stopping at some of your favorite places! As well as taking the time to invest in items that will also add more benefits to your self care rituals & inevitably your overall well-being! Awesome job! 👏🏼  

Ohhh your favorite place to walk certainly sounds very motivating! I also like being near the water as well as great views! 

Sounds like you really enjoy walking when you can?! Congrats on getting out And thank you for sharing your responses for National walking Day! 

User Profile: communicativePond1728
communicativePond1728 April 4th, 2024

@PoliteOcean thanks for the kind words and support ☺️ I think I struggle with walking so not sure if I enjoy it; sometimes my mind thinks too much while I'm out and about and I'd rather be doing something than just meandering, which is why I try tie fun things or tasks to it. *** shoes don't help either...right now I wear mostly converse where are the absolute most flat footed shoe imaginable other than my Freets which are designed to feel like walking barefoot to let your body work naturally, yet there's not much data on any of this so...time for some toast and smoothie to replace electrolytes and fill my tummy hole with nutrition. Thanks again for the kind and supportive words ☺️

User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean OP April 4th, 2024

@communicativePond1728

Awww you’re very welcome C.P.! 

I always enjoy reading everyone’s responses! … 

I can see why you might feel that you struggle with walking or to enjoy it if your mind & thoughts aren’t “onboard” & having you overthinking things during a time you should be able to just let go and enjoy a simple walk. Not to mention it’s definitely important to have good comfortable walking shoes!!

(I have so many shoes for walking & working out that I don’t have room for them anymore)! Lol …I have a lot of Nike brand and some adidas. My feet can give me a challenge. And not to mention my joints too! So I get it!! 

Mmm 😋 enjoy your toast and smoothie! Sounds yummy! And what a great healthy  choice! 👍🏼


load more
load more
load more
User Profile: Michelh1996
Michelh1996 April 4th, 2024

I feel like a great motivator for walking are the benefits you get from it, but when the weather isn't that great, it helps to have some extra's. Like a goal or game, something like a step-counter, a certain place of scenery you want to see, pokemonGO etc that makes it like a game or takes a bit of the "forced" part away from it. It is important to not focus too much on that of course, because you also need to enjoy your surroundings.

That is part of what it helps with, some sunlight, nature and scenery calms you down and helps taking your mind of things, or in fact, focus on thinking about some topics with a different mindset. 

Walking is also the nr 1 low impact excercise to get in a better schape, get your whole body moving and you'll be statistied and happy that you did!

User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean OP April 4th, 2024

@Michelh1996

Absolutely all great responses!... I totally agree. 

Its definitely a great, simple, low impact “full-body” workout! (A highly underestimated one at that)… Lots of great added benefits for our bodies & our minds! 

Thank you for sharing your response! 


load more
User Profile: Gettingbettertoday
Gettingbettertoday April 4th, 2024

👟 What is something that motivates you to get outdoors to walk? Schedule


🚶 Where is your "favorite place" to walk? Around my neighborhood. 


👟 Do you like to listen to Music or Podcasts when you walk?....(What type of music or podcast is your favorite to listen to)? No, i prefer quiet.


🚶 Who is your favorite person to walk with? My Dog.


👟 How does Walking make you feel Physically, mentally, & emotionally?  Physically: Tired Mentally: Calmer           Emotionally:   Mixed bag: No specific emotion.

User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean OP April 5th, 2024

@Gettingbettertoday

Hey there! So great to see you share with us this week! 

I agree “Schedules” can definitely motivate us to walk. Making, creating & having time to get out. 

Walking around your neighborhood is definitely a good place to start. That’s how I got into walking at first because it was the simplest choice! 

Quiet walks are certainly nice.. just enjoying the peace, calm, and scenery around us is a great feeling. 

Pets (I have a dog as well), certainly make amazing walking partners. Personally mine has been a wonderful motivator to get outdoors! (What kind of dog do you have)?!

I also agree that walking can also have a “mixed-bag” of emotions for everyone. There’s no specific emotion that we should feel when doing so. As long as we are doing something good for our well-being. 

Thank you for sharing your responses with us and keep up the great work! 

load more