Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

"Sometimes all you have to do is start moving"

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 December 1st, 2021

Hey all,

So I was just thinking of that quote in the topic's title that a personal trainer once told me. It was somewhat analogous to my granddad saying to me that "the hardest part of anything is just getting started."

For me, both have proved true. It's like with my hand cycle for cardio, I just have to get myself to use it and the rest tends to take care of itself. But it's the *getting there* that can be a pain sometimes. Which is funny because the mental resistance I feel that we all feel towards exercise is very real.

But it's then that I have to remind myself, like my personal trainer said, to just start moving. Towards the hand cycle or whatever the goal is for that day. And each day *does* add up.

How do you all get yourselves moving, literally/figuratively towards your exercise goals?

6
User Profile: PoliteOcean
PoliteOcean December 2nd, 2021

@sereneSunset26


Great post!...

I think finding "motivation" (next to making time) is the hardest part for many when it comes to exercise. As a Zumba instructor and Fitness instructor myself, I too know first hand how challenging it can be as both an instructor as well as a participant.

How I get motivated personally, is making sure to do workouts that I ENJOY!... If you find things that you enjoy, it will never seem daunting or like work.

I love to Dance! So ... I find motivation in getting my cardio in by Doing And Teaching Zumba classes. And what really motivates me even more, is when I see or am getting the results that I want by in fact moving. Also, having an accountability partner. When it be my husband walking taking walks with me several times a week, to joining in a Group Fitness class that I like, knowing that other "like-minded" individuals and participants will be there too as we all move and enjoy the workout together!

And by "Teaching" classes myself, I have NO Excuses to Not show up and Be there!

1 reply
User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP December 3rd, 2021

@PoliteOcean

Thanks for your reply! I think you made great points regarding tying our own sense of personal enjoyment and accountability to both our goals as well as the exercise itself.

Because I feel like when we actually enjoy something, then we're hit with all of these positive feelings/emotions that we can associate with whatever the goal is. On top of that (speaking for myself and projecting a little bit here), if we can also associate positive vibes with holding ourselves accountable towards personal responsibility over ourselves and our goals, then I feel like all that just makes it so much easier *to* achieve those goals. :)

load more
User Profile: ouiCherie
ouiCherie December 2nd, 2021

@sereneSunset26

Wow! I just submitted an article yesterday and this is one of the points.

I agreed. When we're not used to exercising yet, the word itself may create a mental image of strenuous work, and focusing on "just" physical movement is a good step to start.

Just keep from staying idle for long.

I set an alarm to let me know I have been somewhat idle for 30mins. It's necessary at the office. Sometimes I do stretching, and standing while replying to text messages, other times follow a chair dance video on YouTube at the office. 😂 My colleagues are used to my antiques. Whatever to get me to move a bit here and there.


Great idea for hand cycle! Thanks, Serene 💜


1 reply
User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP December 3rd, 2021

@ouiCherie

Hey, Cherie!

You make a great point about not staying idle for too long. Which I honestly feel is tremendously important, especially in a society where we have so many sedentary entertainment options. Full-disclosure: I am judging nobody by saying that, and in fact am being somewhat of a hypocrite. 😅 But in a weird way, I guess I am at least self-aware that I am, haha!

One of my best friends who has struggled with his weight, jokingly told me once "A body in motion tends to stay in motion, while a body at rest tends to stay at rest."

Looking back, he was just joking, but there really is a lot of truth in there.

load more
User Profile: Remina
Remina December 2nd, 2021

@sereneSunset26 This is a great post! Sometimes I have to tell myself that I don't want to have stayed in one place all day and get up. Music really helps so when I can I listen to music!

Hopie

1 reply
User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP December 3rd, 2021

@HopieRemi

I am sooooo glad you mentioned music! I find myself that music tends to have an immediate access and effect on my feelings and emotions. Because of this, I really listen to it more. Unfortunately, there are so many distractions in this world and we only have so many hours in the day on top of that.

But more to the point, I absolutely believe and agree that music can be both the catalyst for exercise and can help us stay engaged with it on top of that. :)

load more