Happy Food
Hello everyone,
We all have our ups and downs and a lot is/has been discussed here what to try to get through difficult times. I was wondering about the individual experiences you have made what concerns certain kind of foods which help you to balance your mood or even uplift you. Some types of food increase dopamine levels. Dopamine is one of the neurotransmitter which contributes to our happiness. Low self esteem, self-doubt e.g. are linked to low dopamine levels.
Too high levels however can cause mental health problems. This post and the replies are not intended to be used as a recipie but more as an information and about your own experience. I would love to hear what you consume consciously every day or think what you could and if you like please also state why.
So I like to give an example of one thing I am doing every day
I grate fresh turmeric and make a tea (Curcumin is the main active ingredient in the spice turmeric and can boost dopamine levels)
to add or remove your name, please submit this short form https://goo.gl/NQxyyb
@amiablePeace77
Hey there! Just wanted to let you know I moved this out of the mindfulness check-ins into the Food choices subforum in healthy living. Please let me know if you have any questions ^^
@amiablePeace77
Hi -
Some of things I try and consume everyday are nuts/seeds, water, fruits and vegetables.
Both nuts and seeds boost serotonin, as well as apples, carrots, peas and berries. There's also foods that have a knock on effect, like avocados for omega 3, bananas for magnesium (which helps cortisol), oats for low blood sugar release..
The list kinda goes on! Nutrition is very complicated!

@romanticthi3f
hmmm...thats interesting to read that bananas help with cortisol... I'm not sure I've heard that before. That would be great, Since I LOVE bananas!
I like peanuts. I don't know how healthy they are but I get a giant bag of shelled peanuts on Monday and finish them normally on Thursday or Friday
I tend to fall into compulsive emotional eating when I'm upset, and usually it's sugary things. I'm not saying sugar is bad for you, and I personally love dessert and sweet things, but I simply don't like to stuff my face with them while not fully enjoying and appreciating their taste. So first step for me is to drink some water or hot tea to get myself into a more conscious state. Then consider my hunger, cravings, and body conditions and feed myself (or not) accordingly.
On a normal day, I love to snack on berries, apple, cucumber, and bell pepper. They have a natural sweetness and a lovely crunch to them. Sometimes I do have a piece of dark chocolate or a bowl of ice cream though. Everything in moderation!
@cherimoya
Any kind of stress can easily cause us to overeat, sitting somewhere and before we know it our snacks are eaten, never really tasted them.I find it's a great idea to drink water (not too cold) or tea before we eat a meal or snacks - helping to eat consciously.
Hey, dark choc (high cocoa contents) is healthy, many benefits but as you said everything in moderation.
Berries are always a very happy food for me. I love fresh berries and really want to do Pick-Your-Own this year where I live around a lot of local farmland. They've been a great way for me to spice up my yogurt since a lot of lactose free options don't come in the variety of flavors that dairy yogurt does.
Comfort foods for me are things like shepards pie, chicken pot pie, and tuna casserole. It just feels warm and comforting and full.
I love M&Ms and call them my "little drops of dopamine"
@astuteScorpius
Berries are an AWESOME choice!.... Blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries tend to "top the list"! And putting the on yogurt is a really great combo. While getting in plenty of healthy, low cal and nutritious fruits, you are also combining it with a great choice of "protein" as well!
And I know what you mean about the "Comfort Foods" (although not as great of a "healthy" choice" but you can certainly make healthier versions of it!).. and even if you don't, as they say, 'Everything in moderation'!...
And those darn M&M's!!. I'm in the same boat as you!.... Yes those are my go-to on "Treat Day"!..lol.... (especially the ones with "Peanuts"!)
, you seem to be right on the spot. I agree nutrition is complicated, what we eat and how we combine it ...