The Dopamine Diet
What is the dopamine diet?
Billed as the weight loss regime that boosts mood too, this diet is all about increasing levels of the ‘happy hormone dopamine in the brain at the same time as shedding pounds. There are several different versions of the diet, but all are based around foods that are thought to boost dopamine. These can include:
Dairy foods such as milk, cheese and yogurt
Unprocessed meats such as beef, chicken and turkey
Omega-3 rich fish such as salmon and mackerel
Eggs
Fruit and vegetables, in particular bananas
Nuts such as almonds and walnuts
Dark chocolate
Most versions of the diet recommend avoiding alcohol, caffeine and processed sugar, while some also recommend cutting out or severely restricting starchy carbohydrates.
What is dopamine and how does food affect it?
Dopamine is a neurotransmitter - a chemical that is responsible for transmitting signals between nerve cells in the brain. Dopamine directly affects the reward and pleasure centres in the brain, which in turn affects mood. Its activation occurs for a number of reasons, including the sudden availability of food.
There is emerging evidence to show that people who are overweight may have impairments in dopamine pathways which could have been blunted through constant exposure to highly palatable (sugary and fatty) foods. This blunted response could potentially lead to increased reward seeking behaviour, including over-eating. Currently, we do know that all eating increases dopamine, especially the intake of high fat and sugar foods, both off which can lead to an increase in appetite, overeating and weight gain in the long term.
How can you boost your dopamine without resorting to high fat and sugar foods?
Protein foods are made from the building blocks of amino acids (including tyrosine), which are essential to the production of dopamine. It has therefore been suggested that upping protein intake may also boost dopamine production without increasing appetite. A recent study looked at this theory and concluded that eating a high protein breakfast including eggs, lean meats and dairy was best at reducing mid-morning cravings whilst increasing dopamine levels.
Emer Delaney BSc (Hons), RD has an honours degree in Human Nutrition and Dietetics from the University of Ulster. She has worked as a dietitian in some of London's top teaching hospitals and is currently based in Chelsea.
![]()
Keep up the good work! :)
@Ren Thank you for sharing this very helpful post!
@Ren
There is also growing research demonstrating the importance of the microbiome (the colonies of friendly microbes in your gut) in maintaining good mental and physical health.
Research has shown that a one size fits all diet is sub-optimal , and that most accepted wisdom and government guidelines are based on poor research, financed by the processed food industry. (The Diet Myth; Spoonfed, both by Tim Spector). I am most certainly not a conspiracy theorist by any stretch of the imagination, but having read these books I will never be able to trust standard food guidelines or labelling again.
Some good advice for everyone is: get 30 different plant foods each week (including herbs and spices, and red wine, and good quality chocolate - in moderation, of course), and also including some live fermented foods daily (good quality Kefir, Sauerkraut, Kimchi, Kombucha or plain live yogurt); avoid all ultra-processed food; and experiment with your meals and meal times to find what suits you.
Lots of online videos at the moment by the research and personalised nutrition company Zoe.
@DavidEss
Interesting information.. However as you stated, Diets or eating plans aren't "One size fits all" by any means.
Some of the foods or things you've mentioned can't be taken by individuals. (Such as Chocolate, Dairy products such as Live yogurt, and definitely not Wine even in moderation).
The best thing for everyone to do as far as food is concerned to eat healthy, is to get in Veggies & fruits and keep your plate "colorful". Add in lean proteins, And add in grains and dairy as one is able to do. And nuts/seeds as able & not allergic and in moderation also to watch and avoid to much fat content.
@PoliteOcean I hear you. Not one diet fits all. I do not tolerate high carb diet, but I do tolerate nut butters and other soy products. That is why I do not subscribe to one diet and think it will work for everyone.
Thank youu 💓
Are you for real?
@Ren thanks for this post. so helpful. especially nowadays... :)
Thanks for the post
I believe this article so much As a person diagnosed with IBS and a whole sort of digestive issues I assure you that prebiotics/probiotics affect my mood. For the better. Eating protein satisifies me for longer. I have low potassium and Vitamin D levels all of the time. I have to consciously eat bananas and avocados every day. Dairy I eat everyday. Because of my gut issues I do not absorb vitamin B12 well. Which directly affects so many things. I suffer with depression. Antidepressants over the years either work or don't work. My psychiatrist just recently prescribed Miraplex for me. Dopamine agonist...need to be careful though as I understand it can increase dopamine levels...good but two edged...can also cause compulsive behaviors...shopping eating gambling etc But not for all I understand We shall see how it goes
@lpf100 it will go good. Don't worry. Just watch for constipation and wt gain.
@Ren thanks for the informative article.
I find it interesting that many of the foods on the dopamine diet are already in my diet !
One of the best way to get the dopamine rush is not by eating anything. Its a fun activity called:
COLD SHOWERS
must try now!!!