Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What it feels like to not be able to sleep

User Profile: Laura
Laura April 16th, 2015

Describe your experience here

26
User Profile: littleblueflower
littleblueflower May 16th, 2015

When I settle down in bed at night and turn the light off, my mind just seems to go all over the place. It begins feeding me back the conversations I had that day, what I should have said, the inappropriate answers I gave, the sarcastic replies I made. Then comes the things that I have to do, it's some sort of listing for the next morning, closer to a mentaldaily planner, and it goes on and on and on sometimes. After my mind focuses on everything that's going wrong in my life and my body ends up completely tense which keeps me from sleeping. I have tried drinking soothing tea before bed time, but the only thing that does help is reading. So I read, sometimes almost finish a whole book in a single night !

User Profile: Anomalia
Anomalia May 17th, 2015

I have a really hard time clearing my mind enough to fall asleep most nights, and it's the most overwhelmingly frustrating thing. Even moreso than the exhaustion, the frustration with not being able to sleep and knowing that the longer it take, the worse my next day will be, is what gets to me and gets me worked up into a frenzy that just makes it that much harder.

User Profile: independentHemlock16
independentHemlock16 May 26th, 2015

this happens with me a lot. will lay there for hours and the longer i lay there the more i get worried that i wont get to sleep that night and i stare at the wall, then look at the clock and now its 5 am and imgoing to work with no sleep again...

load more
User Profile: captainwerewolf
captainwerewolf May 24th, 2015

the last 2 weeks have been tough to fall asleep, its almost 6am now and im glad its sunday tomorrow but i am going back to temazepam the upcoming week because its taking its toll on me. but i am trying to accept it and just try to sleep when i eventually do get tired. i just dont get tired, or am tired and cant shut down sort of.

User Profile: Ivoryrose2009
Ivoryrose2009 May 26th, 2015

It's defiantly one of those no win cycles. Where you can't sleep then you worry about the next day and not sleeping and being tired. Along with all you other worries. Then that makes it so you can't sleep. It sucks. And there's sometimes irritability and restlessness. Boredom. I hate it. I usually workout to wear myself out during the day and meditate and take a hot shower to relax at night.

User Profile: sylviavdwb
sylviavdwb June 10th, 2015

"My eyelids are heavy, but my thoughts are heavier." - c.o

User Profile: sylviavdwb
sylviavdwb June 10th, 2015

"When you have insomnia, you're never rellyasleep and you're never really awake." - Chuck Palahniuk

User Profile: LunaLlama9
LunaLlama9 June 11th, 2015

Racing. Literally, my mind is racing, a blur of thoughts and fears that I can't shut off no matter what and no matter how tired I am. It makes me feel manic and anxious and turns into a vicious cycle.

User Profile: LavenderBlues
LavenderBlues June 15th, 2015

I'm only able to sleep 4-5 hours during the week and thus I tend to oversleep during the weekend up to 11 hours. To make thingsworse I take comfort in drinking morning coffee each day and so I become extremely anxious and restless.

User Profile: 8NeverForever8
8NeverForever8 June 15th, 2015

I have insomnia that comes and goes and verify on severity depending on stress. Sometimes it's falling asleep that is the issue, sometimes staying asleep, and sometimes both. I've tried perscriptions, over the counter meds, and melotonin but nothing really worked good for me. A couple of years ago I started meditation though and that has helped alot. When I lay down I turn on sleep meditation music (tons are on youtube) and focus on my breathing. It helps push thoughts away and I fall asleep easily and stay asleep. I think it's all about quieting the mind, at least for me. I would be stressing so bad about something, fall asleep, then wake up 2 hours later still continuing those same thoughts.

User Profile: quietCranberry5700
quietCranberry5700 June 15th, 2015

When I can't sleep I feel energized and frustrated ,then I do stupid things