Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

(OUTDATED) Course 1: Personal Leadership 101 - (Discussion 2) Understanding Your Gifts and Strengths from the MBTI

User Profile: Heather225
Heather225 August 20th, 2020

PLEASE VISIT THIS SUBFORUM TO PARTICIPATE.

-

Hello Leadership Crew!

I have just gone through the introduction thread and read about all of you. If you havent yet introduced yourself, then please stop by and share a little about yourself so we can get to know you. Im encouraged by all the great people that have joined. This should be a fun and enriching program!

Let me first zoom back and talk more broadly about your career and how we can help. When you become a leader on 7 Cups, we want you to find the work fulfilling. Fulfilling work means that it is:

a) work you are good at;
b) work that is interesting to you; and
c) work that solves an important problem or meets an important goal (Thiel, 2015).

The sweet spot is that blue area in the middle below.

Work Alignment Diagram

If you do work that you are good at, but not interested in, then you wont do a great job. If you do work that you are interested in, but not particularly good at, then it wont be great work. If you do work that you are good at and interested in, but it isnt helping to solve an important problem, then we wont be a good fit for you. We need alignment on all 3 things. We work very hard at the beginning of your work with us to match your inherent strengths and interests with needs we have so that we can work together to solve problems that we all care about.

You have strengths – things that you are just really good at when compared with others. Operating out of your strengths feels good, is personally fulfilling, and enables you to hit flow states. As a result, you are much more effective and productive. Operating out of weaknesses is a drain. If you have to do work that you are not good at, then you wont be as effective. Doubling down on your strengths enables you to level up much faster and it helps 7 Cups make much more progress.

The next step becomes helping you find ways to identify your strengths, gifts or natural talents. You can learn some of this through self-observation - what do you seem especially good at? Are there things that just come natural to you that are more challenging for others? My wife, for example, is really good at writing; it just comes natural to her. Im pretty good at public speaking, whereas others find it more challenging.

Another way is to ask people you trust. You can say: What do you think Im good at? Or: what do you think are my top 1-3 strengths? Things that stand out to you about me? Note: only ask people you trust because sometimes people can give you feedback in a harmful rather than helpful way especially if they are not trustworthy.

For the purposes of this course, we are going to use personality tests to help you identify your strengths. Some of these are better than others; they are more reliable and have more research behind them. Broadly, we are using them here to help you begin to map out your strengths and to help you find ways where you can naturally excel here on 7 Cups, in your personal life, and in whatever career your are in or choose further down the road.

To start:

Go to this site here and take the test: https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

Next, in the thread below, answer the following questions:

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please

2. What were the main things you learned about yourself?

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them.

4. Please then reply to 3 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

Last, when people interact with one another, it makes the course more enriching and it allows us to learn more about one another. In addition to posting in the thread, please also be sure to respond in a helpful and positive way to at least 3 other comments in this thread.

You can also ask any questions in this thread and well respond to them as well.

Very excited to kick this off with all of you!

223
User Profile: Helpingsoul98
Helpingsoul98 August 20th, 2020

Hi! I am Amal :) and after taking the personality test - I found out that I am an INFJ-T

I learnt that I am more towards the introverted side when it comes to how I interact with my environment. More so, I learnt that I have an advocate personality type and that this personality type only makes up 1% of the population! This is the first time I realized and learnt this about myself.

My three strengths are that 1: I am determined and passionate, 2: I am inspiring and convincing and 3: I am insightful.

determined and passionate: When Advocates such as myself come to believe that something is important, they pursue that goal with a conviction and energy that can catch others off-guard. Not everyone likes to see this, but their passion for their chosen cause is an inseparable part of the Advocate personality.

Inspiring and convincing: as an advocate, I have a fluid, inspirational writing style that appeals to the inner idealist in our audience. Advocators such as myself can be astonishingly good orators, speaking with warmth and compassion.

Insightful: with this personality type, I have the ability to see through dishonesty and disingenuous motives. Advocate personalities see how people and events are connected. They are then able to use that insight to get to the heart of the matter.

1 reply
User Profile: compassionateendofarainbow
compassionateendofarainbow August 21st, 2020

@Helpingsoul98
OOoh sounds amazing! I wish I could borrow some of your insight :P

load more
User Profile: Starry1Listener
Starry1Listener August 21st, 2020

@Heather225

1.) INFJ

2.) I never realized I think more based on my feeling.

3.) I realized that my strengths are being able to connect deeply to certain communities that being able to play a role in everything.

1 reply
User Profile: compassionateendofarainbow
compassionateendofarainbow August 21st, 2020

@Starry1Listener

Sounds like an impressive set of qualities! You'll be a valuable asset to this team!

load more
User Profile: Helloitsjess22
Helloitsjess22 August 21st, 2020

I'm INFP-T Mediator

90% introvert

Strenghths WEAKNESSES

*Open minded and flexible *Too Altruistic

*Dedicated and hard working *Takes things personally

*Idealistic *Difficult to get to know

3 replies
User Profile: compassionateendofarainbow
compassionateendofarainbow August 21st, 2020

@Helloitsjess22

Ooooh another fellow mediator!! I am an INFP-T tooo!!

1 reply
User Profile: Helloitsjess22
Helloitsjess22 August 21st, 2020

@compassionateendofarainbow

SAME PIIINCH !!

load more
User Profile: BookChunky
BookChunky August 21st, 2020

@Helloitsjess22

That's amazingg! I got the same personality type (Mediator).

Was kinda shocked to know that I'm supposed to be creative and idealistic but yay for us.

Would help out in this community!

load more
User Profile: Mirage16
Mirage16 August 21st, 2020

@Heather225

ISFJ-A

People with my personality traits are detail focused, unassuming, excellent analytical abilities all while being reserved. My famous people are the Queen, Beyoncé, Aretha Franklin and Dr Watson.

Supportive, reliable & patient, Imaginative and Observant

1 reply
User Profile: TheGoodFairy
TheGoodFairy August 23rd, 2020

@Mirage16

Sounds like you have a wonderful personality 😊! It's great to have you with us on the journey to becoming a better leader!

load more
User Profile: pamharley003
pamharley003 August 21st, 2020

@Heather225

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please

infj-t

2. What were the main things you learned about yourself?

The things I learned about myself are that I keep a lot bottled up is true. That I am a very compassionate person who will put others before my own needs.

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them.

My strengths are: I am creative determined and compassionate

4. Please then reply to 3 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

5 replies
User Profile: compassionateendofarainbow
compassionateendofarainbow August 21st, 2020

@pamharley003

Ooh! You are creative, determined, and compassionate! That's like an amazing rare combo! Wow!!

User Profile: BookChunky
BookChunky August 21st, 2020

@pamharley003

User Profile: BookChunky
BookChunky August 21st, 2020

@pamharley003

These are some really nice personality traits, I'm sure really considering them will help you grow and contribute more to this community!

Yay, You can do it!!

User Profile: youcanbeyou
youcanbeyou August 24th, 2020

@pamharley003

amazing

User Profile: generousDiamond35
generousDiamond35 August 24th, 2020

@pamharley003

You have got some really good strengths! That's amazing! So glad to have you here! :)

load more
User Profile: Rupcompassion20
Rupcompassion20 August 21st, 2020

@Heather225

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please

INFJ-A / INFJ-T

2. What were the main things you learned about yourself?

The things I learned about myself are that I am passionate about my goals and see it to its logical conclusion, basically everything in the reading resonated. That I am extremely private could be a weakness. I like to lead a life of values and principles and things in my life must align as per that for me to lead a fulfilling life.

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test?

My strengths are: I am insightful , Decisive , Convincing

4. Please then reply to 3 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

3 replies
User Profile: AffyAvo
AffyAvo August 24th, 2020

@Rupcompassion20 Being able to convince others when you have good insights sounds handy smiley

User Profile: youcanbeyou
youcanbeyou August 24th, 2020

@Rupcompassion20

its admiring that you have ;earned these amaazing thigs about yourself

User Profile: generousDiamond35
generousDiamond35 August 24th, 2020

@Rupcompassion20

Great strengths! :)

load more
User Profile: Rupcompassion20
Rupcompassion20 August 21st, 2020

@Pamharley

Great to know you are nfj-t , with so many wonderful qualities :-)

User Profile: TheMetanoia
TheMetanoia August 21st, 2020

@Heather225

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please

Turbulent Advocate INFJ-T

2. What were the main things you learned about yourself?

I have learned so many things about myself and this type of personality, including how rare it is! As mentioned, I tend to search for deeper connections with the people close to me, and I am able to connect with people on an emotional level.

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them.

Strengths:

Creative – Combining a vivid imagination with a strong sense of compassion, Advocates use their creativity to resolve not technical challenges, but human ones. People with the Advocate personality type enjoy finding the perfect solution for someone they care about. This strength makes them excellent counselors and advisors.

Insightful – Seeing through dishonesty and disingenuous motives, Advocates step past manipulation and sales tactics and into a more honest discussion. Advocate personalities see how people and events are connected. They are then able to use that insight to get to the heart of the matter.

Inspiring and Convincing – Speaking in human terms, not technical, Advocates have a fluid, inspirational writing style that appeals to the inner idealist in their audience. Advocates can even be astonishingly good orators, speaking with warmth and passion. This is especially true if they are proud of what they are speaking for.

Weaknesses:

Sensitive – When someone challenges or criticizes Advocates principles or values, they are likely to receive an alarmingly strong response. People with the Advocate personality type are highly vulnerable to criticism and conflict. Questioning their motives is the quickest way to their bad side.

Extremely Private – Advocates tend to present themselves as the culmination of an idea. This is partly because they believe in this idea, but also because Advocates are extremely private when it comes to their personal lives. They use this image to keep themselves from having to truly open up, even to close friends. Trusting a new friend can be even more challenging for Advocates.

Perfectionistic – Advocate personalities are all but defined by their pursuit of ideals. While this is a wonderful quality in many ways, an ideal situation is not always possible – in politics, in business, in romance. Advocates, especially Turbulent ones, too often drop or ignore healthy and productive situations and relationships, always believing there might be a better option down the road.

User Profile: BookChunky
BookChunky August 21st, 2020

@Heather225

Hey there! I am Book :). Completing this test and finding out more about myself was really fun and cool. I discovered that I am an INFP-T or the turbulent mediator personality type.

From this I learnt that I always looking for the good in people and things even ig they have wronged me or the situation is going bad. I tend to be shy and reserved around some people yet I am completed capable of letting go and enjoying myself. My personality describes me as a very creative individual, even suggests I could be an artist or a writer which a sorta surprising but still good to know. I also found out I should be able to speak/learn more than 2-3 languages which I should definitely try now.

I fall under the 4% of the whole population with the same personality type as me which is so cool.

My three strengths are that 1: I am Open-Minded and Flexible, 2: I am Passionate and Energetic and 3: I am Dedicated and Hard-Working.

Open-Minded and Flexible – A live-and-let-live attitude comes naturally to Mediators like me, and I tend to dislike being constrained by rules. Mediators give the benefit of the doubt too, and so long as their principles and ideas are not being challenged, they

3 replies
User Profile: NorahListens
NorahListens August 24th, 2020

@BookChunky

Hi book! I am also an INFP-T!

1 reply
User Profile: BookChunky
BookChunky September 9th, 2020

@miraculousheart9815

Hiii Heart,

That's great! Nice to meet you.

load more
User Profile: brightbubbles88
brightbubbles88 August 27th, 2020

@BookChunky hi Book! it sounds ike you put a lot of thought and reflection into your response - great work! (it is also awesome to see another INFP-T!) :)

2 replies
User Profile: BookChunky
BookChunky September 9th, 2020

@brightbubbles88

Thank you bubbles! Nice to have you here.

1 reply
User Profile: brightbubbles88
brightbubbles88 September 13th, 2020

@BookChunky of course! :) and its nice to have you here as well!

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: JustLikeMellie
JustLikeMellie August 22nd, 2020

@Heather225

1. What is your personality type? INFP

2. What were the main things you learned about yourself? that I am a feeler and intuitive

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? passionate, creative, hard-working

1 reply
User Profile: AffyAvo
AffyAvo August 24th, 2020

@JustLikeMellie Those are great strengths to have!

load more